Car Show Advise Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 12:38 PM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Show Advise Needed

It's been a year since my son (7 yrs old) and I purchased and started on our 1980 rebuild project. We've completed a complete interrior refurb/replacement and installed a nice stereo system. In the engine compartment, we bumped the Hp up 110hp over stock and dressed her up a bit. Exterrior complemented with newrims and tires.

Yesterday afternoon, we had the car detailed and decided to enter it in our first car show (first show he and I have ever registered for - ever) so I had ZERO experience nor had any idea what to expect. We registered it in his name in the 80s class as the Corvette Class was very competitive. Only four cars in the 80s class last night and we were the only Vette (Buick Grand National, Turbo Trans-AM and a Riviera). I worked on managing his expectations as the little guy really wanted to win a trophy and he literally sat near the car and made me aware of "anyone" that he thought was going to vote for it....he was so excited.

To make a long story short, I had to comfort a very dissapointed/crying little boy last night as he didn't win. Grand National took first (very clean car with a lot of chrome under the hood), Trans-AM took second (clean outside but engine compartment was well worn).

I need to learn from this so that I can better our (his) chances of winning something next time and need all the insight/experience of those that have done this before. I've attached pictures of the car so you can see what we entered. I have several questions to start the conversation but literally am looking for ANYTHING/ADVICE you may have.

Questions:

Does location matter? We were one row off the registration tent while the Trans-am was only a few cars down from registration and Buick just behind the tent.

Paint Blemishes... should I make a real big deal about nicks and scratches? The judges were literally everyone that had a car in the show (approx 120 cars).

1980s muscle car? The announcer made a comment about "...being few muscle cars in the 80s"...given the stock 1980 vette was not considered much with a stock 195hp. The Grand National and Trans-AM were much more when stock... Should we accept that our 1980 will always be an underdog due to the stereotype?

The perfect car? I know my air dam is the remaining part needing repair on the car...and I'll take on this next....just didn't think it would be a big element as you could hardly see it and we didn't see anyone look under the car...???

Forgive me if these are dumb questions... just have ever been in a show before. Thanks in advance everyone... Ed

Old 04-03-2005, 01:08 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On those type of shows... (partcipant judging) it doesn't matter how fine your car is, it's who you know! Most of those folks know each other from going to car shows on a reg. basis and vote for each others car!
All you can do is:
1) Keep the car as clean as you can, pay attention to detail. Sometimes you can touch up areas that need a little help by just finding a marker or crayon to match the paint so it won't be so noticable.
2) Parking or location sometimes does make a differance because people are lazy or just don't care to check out all the cars and vote. I've noticed that they tend to vote for the first 3 cars in a row.
I think your car is looking pretty good for all the hard work your doing. You'll get it there soon enough!
P.S. Don't forget to detail under the hood a little more.
Good Luck at your next Show! Joe.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

If your talking about the show at Chucks, its a good example of club shows. The people in the club vote for there own. I think that is a GN show to, so it's a given the GN will win. Bring you car out to TMS for the show in May and enter it with me. Lot's of people like the old C-3 and you get to drive the young one around the race track. If you win a trophy out there you have accomplished something.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:28 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't go to a car show with the expectation of winning. I know that's a tough pill to swallow...but the others have pretty laid out what your expectations should be. The whole car show culture can be a little bizarre at times.

Enjoy the car for yourself (and your son, of course)...that's the most important thing.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Tall Boy
Burning Brakes

That is a nice car you and your son have! It would have got my vote!
I plan on putting my car in a show this summer, but just for fun as a daily driver!
Old 04-03-2005, 02:05 PM
mooneyd
Drifting

Try going to a cruise night, a lot more fun and they give out awards also, sometimes you may be the only Vette there. Just have fun and don't get hung up on awards.
By the way that is a very nice '80
Old 04-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Suncountry
Instructor

I enter shows to have fun and a great parking place. It also gives me a chance at a door prize. This year will be my first for the Corvette. Last two years I have had my 1966 MGB in several small shows. The B has to compete in the import class which includes the Rice Burners. I don't win but it is fun to talk cars with my other friends at the show. I did win a bucket and cleaning supplies donated by NAPA at a show last month. The money from the entrance fee plus what they collect at the gate goes to help support the high school auto shop program. Several shows I have been in raise money for great programs, needy people and medical research. Maybe try and show your son that there is more to a show than winning a trophy and be proud of what the two of you have done. It's a great way to bound with our kids. I use my Vette and MGB to teach my 12 year old son and 14 year old daughter about cars and how to care for them. My daughter is going to take the auto shop class next year when she enters high school. What a big surprize being that she is a pretty pettie thing that is big into fashion. Now all I have to do is worry about all the boys in the class.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:32 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by mooneyd
Old 04-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by page62
Don't go to a car show with the expectation of winning. I know that's a tough pill to swallow...but the others have pretty laid out what your expectations should be. The whole car show culture can be a little bizarre at times.

Enjoy the car for yourself (and your son, of course)...that's the most important thing.

I never go to a show or a cruise expecting anything. I go to shoot the breeze with other gear heads. We walk around talking to folks, spend a few hours, see some neat cars and then leave.

From the "shows" I've attended, your car had better be pretty darn perfect. The competition is tough in addition to all the club voting.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:03 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

All that advice about "don't go for trophies" is true enough, but I understand that it's the kid who cares about that more than you do. My son used to really get his hopes up at every show, and he got very disappointed when we didn't win, and, like your son, it didn't matter how much I tried to keep his expectations down.

Sooooo, long story short: because it was important to him, I did three things. One, made the car as good as I could get it. Two, joined a car club (because it's absolutely, one hundred percent true that people vote for who they know in their club). And, three, I found some local (which means relatively few entries) shows that used independent judges. My favorite is a show given by the Gary Job Corps here in town. It's judged by high schoolers who are learning car repair there as a trade, and they use a long list of specific criteria instead of just picking what they like. The first year I did that show, there were only three vettes entered, which meant we'd get a trophy whatever happened. I took first and let my kid go up to get the trophy. He about died he was so happy. That means a lot, even if the trophy is really pretty meaningless to me.

JB

Last edited by JB; 04-03-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:38 PM
80TexasC3
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Everyone... I hear and appreciate the messages...and the support. It makes 100% sense to me...

We'll continue to have fun for ourselves and bond with my son...

Ed
Old 04-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Your Vette is nice looking and I am sure it gets lots of looks. So when some little girl looks at it tell your son that she was really looking at him.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Timbrr
Pro

Default Car Show Advise Needed

Your Vette looks great. It's only one show. I've had some success with my Vette. Just make sure:
1. Your windows are clean inside and out
2. Always have your hood open and the engine clean
(most people won't vote for a car with the hood closed)
3. Make sure your interior is spotless
4. Spray something like Eagle one Wet tire shine on your wheel wells
it will really set off your tires and wheels
5. Be sure and dust the whole outside of the car right before judging
starts.
6. HAVE FUN ! HAVE FUN !! HAVE FUN !!!
Old 04-04-2005, 03:34 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by page62

Just have fun with the car
Old 04-04-2005, 06:42 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

If you get the answer, let the rest of us know.
With mine I know it seems like the better I make it look the worse I do.
So as was already said, Just go and enjoy the show and leave expectaions home. Good Luck in the future though
Old 04-04-2005, 07:20 AM
vetteonr
Melting Slicks

Of couse I'm partial to the '80
Old 04-04-2005, 08:26 AM
80TexasC3
Support Corvetteforum!

Very nice... How did you attach the mod/oem board to the hood?

Get notified of new replies

To Car Show Advise Needed

Old 04-04-2005, 11:09 AM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Jughead

I never go to a show or a cruise expecting anything. I go to shoot the breeze with other gear heads. We walk around talking to folks, spend a few hours, see some neat cars and then leave.

From the "shows" I've attended, your car had better be pretty darn perfect. The competition is tough in addition to all the club voting.
The first car show I ever attended I won best of show. The next year I won 4th place. After that I never won anything so I can relate to your son's disappointment. Jughead's advice is how I approach car shows these days. THe last show I went to they parked me in the middle of an empty lot away from the club cars. After awhile the Capital City Corvette Club out of Columbia SC roared in & parked all around me. I knew at that point that there was no point in cleaning the car so I just wandered around looking at the other cars.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Car shows are tough. The ones that are fair you will tend to agree with their decisions. I've been in shows where all years of vettes are combined into one, I lost to a brand new stock C5 with 500 miles on it. This year for our vette club show I volunteered to be one of two head judges. I figured to make it fair, be part of the process.

I was in a show last summer and didn't place, my 7 year old was trying to make me feel better.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:23 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Try going to a cruise night, a lot more fun .....:
this is the way to go for you and your son.......lots of fun to watch, if its at a restaurant there usually is discounted food and its a good time absent the stress of competition.....did you get a dash plaque? take a picture of your son and the car and make it an 8x10 and then put it in a plastic display case with the dash plaque....it makes a nice commerorative of the event.....i have entered lots of car show and have never won anything.....too much politics to lose any sleep on this one.....

Quick Reply: Car Show Advise Needed