C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79' Coupe Nose Height Adustment? Is There Any?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 79' Coupe Nose Height Adustment? Is There Any?

I have a friend who purchased a 79' Coupe recently. The car seems to be in pretty nice shape but there seems to be something wrong with the height of the front nose. For some reason the front of the hood is lower then the front area of the nose where the front of the hood meets the rest of the body. Now on the passenger and drivers side of the front section of the hood next to the fenders the hood matches up pretty good. We think maybe someone backed into this car before or the previous driver might of ran into something. Other then the height difference we really don't see any damage. Is there any adjustment that can be made to the nose to drop it down some? If he was to shim the hood up the side of the fenders won't line up with the hood so I guess that is out of the question. Anyone want to weigh in on this with any ideas?

Last edited by ffas23; 04-13-2005 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:16 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do the headlights raise and lower normally or does one or both bind? There is a metal support bar that is bonded to the nose that holds the headlight assemblies. If the bar comes loose it could let the nose raise up a bit and cause one or both headlights to bind. There is a fair amount of dissassembly involved to re-bond the support if it has indeed come loose.

Rick B.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:01 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh crud, so THAT's what is wrong with mine. Same deal with my hood lining up. The headlights bind a little on the left side toward the rear of the opening. They still open though.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:03 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Blair Winch Project
Do the headlights raise and lower normally or does one or both bind? There is a metal support bar that is bonded to the nose that holds the headlight assemblies. If the bar comes loose it could let the nose raise up a bit and cause one or both headlights to bind. There is a fair amount of dissassembly involved to re-bond the support if it has indeed come loose.

Rick B.
Called my friend up after viewing this post and he says the headlights are binding. He is going to try and take a look at it tonight to see if the support is loose. Thanks for this info.

Fred
Old 04-14-2005, 10:27 AM
67tripwr
Team Owner

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 79' Coupe Nose Height Adustment? Is There Any?

I will say this: The inner fenders are bonded to the surround, and therfore no adjustment there. You may alread know this, but you can shim up the radiator core support at the bottom where it meets the frame horns. Many times, repair places don't know anything about this stuff!

Get notified of new replies

To 79' Coupe Nose Height Adustment? Is There Any?

Quick Reply: 79' Coupe Nose Height Adustment? Is There Any?