Sponsored by:

Rearview Mirror Will NOT 'Stay'...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:29 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Rearview Mirror Will NOT 'Stay'...

Darn rearview mirror on my '69 L46 will not stay where I adjust it. The 'ball' on which the jointed mirror arm mounts to and which is retained via a thin metal bracket in the top of the windshield frame just won't stay put. I've tried everything from sticking something up into where the ball is held to forcing the mirror to a point of adjustment where it is fully extended; no use, it drops whenever I hit a bump AND it is so loose that any attempt to actually look at objects (like cars) using it is a lost cause. I've even resorted to putting it sort of 'kock-eyed/crooked and that doesn't work for long.

Do I need to replace something or perhaps I should spray paint the ball with some form of rough textured goo that will help it to be gripped better. I'm at wits end and am afraid I'll rear-end somebody or drive off the road the next time I monkey with the darn thing while the car is moving.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-15-2005, 07:33 PM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I had the same problem. I just bought a new one.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:13 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by barkingowl
I had the same problem. I just bought a new one.
Me, too. I tried all sorts of solutions. Loctite on the ball helped for a few days at a time. Last thing I tried was suggested here: soak the mirror in gasoline until the mirror glass comes loose, and then bend the metal frame that holds the ball until it's snug. I never got to the bending part--glass never did come loose with the gas, and I got impatient and tried prying at it gently, and it instantly broke. Bought a new one and never looked back.

JB
Old 04-15-2005, 09:36 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JB
Me, too. I tried all sorts of solutions. Loctite on the ball helped for a few days at a time. Last thing I tried was suggested here: soak the mirror in gasoline until the mirror glass comes loose, and then bend the metal frame that holds the ball until it's snug. I never got to the bending part--glass never did come loose with the gas, and I got impatient and tried prying at it gently, and it instantly broke. Bought a new one and never looked back.

JB
Am wondering if I need to replace the 'ball socket clip' (PN# 1018537, spring-steel u-shaped clip maintains tension on the ball socket bracket). This description is from Dr Rebuild's catalog. The clip is approx $3. I have my eye on a few items that will bring the order to around $25 or over $50 with no trouble.

Guess I'll be calling the good Dr soon.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:29 PM
barkingowl
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Give Doc a call. You can't go wrong for $3. I hope it works for you.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:35 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Position teh mirror where you want it and a little dab a doo ya of Crazy Glue will fix that sucka....
Old 04-16-2005, 11:06 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

The problem with the new clip idea is the same problem as with the bend the clip idea--getting the mirror glass off. Ain't worth the trouble, IMHO.

JB
Old 04-17-2005, 05:26 AM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TedH
Am wondering if I need to replace the 'ball socket clip' (PN# 1018537, spring-steel u-shaped clip maintains tension on the ball socket bracket). This description is from Dr Rebuild's catalog. The clip is approx $3. I have my eye on a few items that will bring the order to around $25 or over $50 with no trouble.

Guess I'll be calling the good Dr soon.
you hit the nail on the head! thats what you gotta do,,,i did the same thing and it worked
Old 04-17-2005, 09:03 AM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. I'm assuming you're already tightened the screw on the bracket at the top of the windshield and the one where the mirror attaches to the post thingy.

Get notified of new replies

To Rearview Mirror Will NOT 'Stay'...

Quick Reply: Rearview Mirror Will NOT 'Stay'...