C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm - repair factory or new aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 09:00 PM
kjgcsmith
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Alarm - repair factory or new aftermarket?

I would like some thoughts on spending the time to repair the factory alarm system on my 82CE (just bought it, only thing that does not work) or have a new aftermarket installed.

I searched the C3 forum but did not find any discussion on this topic.

If your a believer in fixing the factory, is there a forum or website with instructions on how to do this?

If there are any advantages of a new aftermarket, what is a good one?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2005, 09:27 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you are set on keeping it original, fix the stock alarm but if were me I would get a new system, it offers better technology and the keyless entry is such a convience, plus you can add remote start. Just get a good one like viper, don't go cheap.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:46 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about this myself. I've talked to real experts on these cars and they feel the real "alarm system" is about as usefull as **** on a bull.

That being said....I have this "original" thing going on with this car.

The bottom line....I doubt a modern car thief would break a sweat defeating a 30 year old alarm system.

I don't park my car except in my locked garage.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:21 PM
belmara
Advanced

Today, I was looking into the reason why my 82 vette's power locks didn't work. To the best of my troubleshooting skills I traced my problem to the alarm. Instead of trying to figure out what is wrong with it, I may just disable it in favor of new alarm system.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:29 PM
SLine78
Racer

I would fix the factory alarm and then maybe supplement it with an aftermarket. The one thing I like about the 78 - 82 factory alarm is that the T-Tops are connected to it. Gives me a little comfort that my T-Tops will not be stolen on those hot days when I want to leave the windows open while it is sitting in the driveway. On the other hand, if it is that nice of a day, I probably have removed the T-Tops, which means I can't arm the factory alarm, since it would go off because of no tops.

Always nice to have all factory accesories work properly.

Mike
Old 04-17-2005, 03:19 PM
kjgcsmith
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good thought, I didn't think about the Ttops. When I check into the aftermarket installers I will ensure they can do the Ttops, otherwise I will see if I can keep both alarms active. I really like the features of the new alarms especially immediate notification on the key remote - I want to know if someone is touching the car while I am in a store.

Get notified of new replies

To Alarm - repair factory or new aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Alarm - repair factory or new aftermarket?