C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baldwin Motion / Stinger Style Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 10:51 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Baldwin Motion / Stinger Style Hood Scoop

I'm looking for a Baldwin Motion / Stinger style bond on hood scoop. This looks the same as the '67 Corvette or that the newer Stinger hoods use. I need just a scoop and a good one. I need one to make an '80 Stinger style hood for my other car.

I want one to make a functional hood with an air box for an L-88 Air Cleaner while using the original '80 hood.

I checked into the archives and search feature but didn't get a hit. I thought that someone had a post on purchase and putting one on sometime back. A link to that would be nice as well.

Thanks, Jim
Old 04-17-2005, 11:16 PM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an entire new stinger hood for my 80 coupe for $417.47 from Vanacor's Fiberglass Parts Inc. I don't know if they sell just the scoop but they may they make the scoop and the hood, I just didn't want to molest my stock hood. Their phone number is 800-225-6508. Hope this helps.

The Iceman,
Keith
Old 04-18-2005, 02:50 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ICEMAN59
I bought an entire new stinger hood for my 80 coupe for $417.47 from Vanacor's Fiberglass Parts Inc. I don't know if they sell just the scoop but they may they make the scoop and the hood, I just didn't want to molest my stock hood. Their phone number is 800-225-6508. Hope this helps.

The Iceman,
Keith
Keith, That is a really nice looking hood and the price is right also. Is your hood a hand laid fiberglass hood or a press molded fiberglass hood? Just curious because everywhere I called in the past got around $800 for a press molded hood and their are quite a few fellows on the C-2 section that have been looking for press molded hoods. Let me know. I went up to Vanacor's website and although they show and list the prices of their hoods they don't state what type of hood they are selling whether hand laid or press molded. All GM hoods from the factory are press molded hoods. They have a smooth finish on the back side of the hood in case anyone who reads this post isn't sure what I am talking about. Hand Laid fiberglass has a rough finish on the back side.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:56 AM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
St. Jude Donor '05

I am familiar with Vanacor fiberglass and it is not press molded.

I also like your stinger hood, but I want an '80 stinger sticking out the front of the scoop and not a '67 style. I like the '80 style hoods, but they really don't allow enough clearance for an air system to go underneath. I have a hood with a damaged spot from where the previous owner slammed the hood on an air cleaner that was to tall, about where the hood scoop would go. I wouldn't be ruining a good hood by applying a scoop.

I still think there is a thread with all of the info somewhere. jim
Old 04-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I've often thought about getting one of the tops to the stinger hood from JC whitney and molding it to an L-88 hood.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

ICEMAN59:

just how-far forward of the carb is the quasi- 'openeing' of the stinger scoop, and is it feasible to use that as a functional hood-scoop?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Couldnt you just cut the opening and add a solenoid operated open/close flap?
Sounds pretty easy to me...
Old 04-18-2005, 11:22 AM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Glensgages
ICEMAN59:

just how-far forward of the carb is the quasi- 'openeing' of the stinger scoop, and is it feasible to use that as a functional hood-scoop?
OK, unless I'm confused you are asking about the front opening being in the correct proximity to the carb to allow proper operation. The front opening will be closed. It is the same as a cowl induction hood feeding from the rear. The front of a '67 - 72 L-88 or '73 - 75 Cowl Induction hood is the same method of supply.jim
Old 04-18-2005, 10:18 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jughead
I've often thought about getting one of the tops to the stinger hood from JC whitney and molding it to an L-88 hood.
might be doing that this year sometime...
Old 04-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PROSOUTH
OK, unless I'm confused you are asking about the front opening being in the correct proximity to the carb to allow proper operation. The front opening will be closed. It is the same as a cowl induction hood feeding from the rear. The front of a '67 - 72 L-88 or '73 - 75 Cowl Induction hood is the same method of supply.jim
I'd be interested in opening-up the FRONT of the scoop, and using an 'air-pan' to seal the air-flow directly into the carb, for drag-racing (probably never see the tree over a snorkel-scoop):
I have used this method on the stock hood and scoop of my '79 Z28 for years, and it works fine.

If I have to resort to air being fed from the rear of the hood-scoop, I'd prefer the ECKLERS 'extra wide-by-tall' high-rise cowl-induction piece.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...LQKEVMRNX6C2W2
Old 04-18-2005, 10:33 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 1Bad69
might be doing that this year sometime...
why ruin a perfect car?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:18 AM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glensgages
ICEMAN59:

I didn't go measue it but I would say 8" and yes it could be made funtional, with ease. I thought about doing this myself.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:18 AM
big632
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AGVI
why ruin a perfect car?
AGVI your dead on on this ,bads car is as good as they get.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:21 AM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ffas23
Keith, That is a really nice looking hood and the price is right also. Is your hood a hand laid fiberglass hood or a press molded fiberglass hood? Just curious because everywhere I called in the past got around $800 for a press molded hood and their are quite a few fellows on the C-2 section that have been looking for press molded hoods. Let me know. I went up to Vanacor's website and although they show and list the prices of their hoods they don't state what type of hood they are selling whether hand laid or press molded. All GM hoods from the factory are press molded hoods. They have a smooth finish on the back side of the hood in case anyone who reads this post isn't sure what I am talking about. Hand Laid fiberglass has a rough finish on the back side.
The back side is rough, I went directly to Vanacore and purchased it. They are about 1 1/2 hours away from my home. You could call them with the 800 number and they will be glad to answer any qestions.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:23 AM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PROSOUTH
I am familiar with Vanacor fiberglass and it is not press molded.

I also like your stinger hood, but I want an '80 stinger sticking out the front of the scoop and not a '67 style. I like the '80 style hoods, but they really don't allow enough clearance for an air system to go underneath. I have a hood with a damaged spot from where the previous owner slammed the hood on an air cleaner that was to tall, about where the hood scoop would go. I wouldn't be ruining a good hood by applying a scoop.

I still think there is a thread with all of the info somewhere. jim
Mine is listed as an 80 stinger hood what is the difference between my hood and an 80 stinger. Do you have pics?

Get notified of new replies

To Baldwin Motion / Stinger Style Hood Scoop

Quick Reply: Baldwin Motion / Stinger Style Hood Scoop