what is a PROTECT O PLATE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:50 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Ed,
Nice info!!!
P-O-P is often mentioned, but not the info you have! Thanks.
Regards,
Alan

An example of the 'GM'.
Name:  DSC_0944_1.jpg
Views: 5433
Size:  44.6 KB

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-22-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:55 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Originally Posted by greyghost79
o.k. corvette trivia buffs, what was the last year they issued a Protecto-Plate with a corvette?
Trick question!

I received a "Plastic" POP with my 91 Z 28.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default I have mine

What was nice about the program is the 5 year warrantee and I used it.....The Vette started out as a 435 and within a very short time I haggled a L-88 and paid the difference between the two engines.....I put 28000 miles on it and parked it when the warranty 5 year period finally ran out {1973} as its file was over an inch thick......I drove it as a street machine, a very fast machine I might add.......

I sometimes think I personally could have been why that 5 year warrantee was dropped by GM........

the Vette still only has a few more miles than as before

wanna buy it, nearly everything is new...Inside and outi

Last edited by Ironcross; 02-22-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Subsequent Owner Protecto Plate

Evidently my car was a dealer demo, as evidenced by the 034 stamped on the bottom line...indicating 3400 miles when delivered. Just thought somebody might find this interesting.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:39 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi FR,
Interesting!
I didn't know that, and also didn't realize that the warranty was noted too.
5/50
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

3400 is very low for a second owner POP but that does not necessarily mean its a dealer promo. It really doesn't prove anything except that the first registered owner drove the car up to 3400 miles. It wasn't "delivered" with 3400 miles. The second owner bought it from the first owner with 3400 miles and that gets indicated on the replacement POP when the warranty gets transferred over.

I would think a dealer promo would not need to register the car for demo purposes as they would have dealer plates or something like that so they would not use the first issue POP themselves. That would be reserved for the first private owner. The dealer would not need a warranty which is what the pop is used for.

The other date number indicates date of first owner purchase. ( by other date I am referring to the 06-9 stamp which is June 1969). The #2 is for seond owner.

Last edited by ed427vette; 02-25-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:31 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Ed, thanks for straightening that all out. Now it appears I am actually the 5th caretaker.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:14 AM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

My 72 did not come with the POP or for that matter much paper work at all .........bummer!
Old 02-25-2015, 12:28 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by ed427vette
I would think a dealer promo would not need to register the car for demo purposes as they would have dealer plates or something like that so they would not use the first issue POP themselves. That would be reserved for the first private owner. The dealer would not need a warranty which is what the pop is used for.
I'll be honest and say I don't know for sure, how the warranty was handled 45 years ago, but I'm pretty sure that today, the warranty starts when the car is put into service. It doesn't matter if it's a demo.

If a car that's being used for a demo, has a problem and needs warranty work, the warranty has to be in effect, or GM won't pay for the repair. I'm pretty sure that on cars used for demos, the warranty is running from the time the car becomes a demo. At least that's the way it was explained to me.

In 03, we bought a new CTS. The car was one of about 50 that had been used as courtesy cars, for a local Senior PGA Tour tournament. Afterwards, the cars were made available to local dealers to sell. The car we bought had about 300 miles on it, but the warranty book showed the warranty as having started at 6 miles, the miles on it when it was turned over to the Senior PGA. This is the same way that parade cars used at Indy and NASCAR events, are handled.

Demos weren't always given to salesman either. Some dealers use to (or maybe still do) make their salesman buy their cars. I have a 71 El Camino that I bought new (still have the P-O-P for it too). Salesman at the dealership I bought it from, had to buy demos, if they wanted one. I know because a friend of mine became a salesman there. The warranty started as soon as they bought their "demo".

It wasn't a bad deal though, because some of the salesman drove Z/28's, Chevelle SS's, Nova SS's, etc. These were not the kind of cars that salesman usually get for demos!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I'll be honest and say I don't know for sure, how the warranty was handled 45 years ago, but I'm pretty sure that today, the warranty starts when the car is put into service. It doesn't matter if it's a demo.

If a car that's being used for a demo, has a problem and needs warranty work, the warranty has to be in effect, or GM won't pay for the repair. I'm pretty sure that on cars used for demos, the warranty is running from the time the car becomes a demo. At least that's the way it was explained to me.

In 03, we bought a new CTS. The car was one of about 50 that had been used as courtesy cars, for a local Senior PGA Tour tournament. Afterwards, the cars were made available to local dealers to sell. The car we bought had about 300 miles on it, but the warranty book showed the warranty as having started at 6 miles, the miles on it when it was turned over to the Senior PGA. This is the same way that parade cars used at Indy and NASCAR events, are handled.

Demos weren't always given to salesman either. Some dealers use to (or maybe still do) make their salesman buy their cars. I have a 71 El Camino that I bought new (still have the P-O-P for it too). Salesman at the dealership I bought it from, had to buy demos, if they wanted one. I know because a friend of mine became a salesman there. The warranty started as soon as they bought their "demo".

It wasn't a bad deal though, because some of the salesman drove Z/28's, Chevelle SS's, Nova SS's, etc. These were not the kind of cars that salesman usually get for demos!
The warranty was in effect immediately but the dealer did not have to fill out a POP to get service done. So there is no need to give a replacement POP to a first owner. The pop is used by the owner to get warranty service from the dealer. I don't think the dealer needs to show themselves the pop of there own car to get work done. If so then every car that was in dealer stock would have a POP issued. One of my 69s was bought by the original owner out of dealer stock. He was issued a typical first owner pop. The first owner pops are done by GM with all the vital info. The dymo tape by the dealer. The replacement pops which of course are also done by GM do not have all the same info. As can be seen above.

Also the date of service does not start with when the car was delivered to the dealer but when the car is bought by the original owner. The 50k miles starts immediately. This can be proved by looking on the POP's themselves. That's why the purchase date is dymoed. Also when you look at replacement POP's you can see the date of service stamped in. This date does not always line up with when the vins were produced. This can be see when a car sits on the lot for a long time for whatever reason. When you look at the trim tags and it shows the car was built in say June but on the replacement POP the start service date shows August. It's 5 years not from when the car was made or delivered to the dealer, but from the time the firet owner took delivery. However, 50k is 50k as per the odometer.

At least this is what I've been told. I was only 2 in 1969....don't remember much from that time....

Last edited by ed427vette; 02-25-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:06 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

The warranty was in effect immediately but the dealer did not have to fill out a POP to get service done. So there is no need to give a replacement POP to a first owner.
Also the date of service does not start with when the car was delivered to the dealer but when the car is bought by the original owner. The 50k miles starts immediately.

It's 5 years not from when the car was made or delivered to the dealer, but from the time the firet owner took delivery. However, 50k is 50k as per the odometer.
I was not talking about when a P-O-P was issued, but instead referencing when the warranty started. I didn't say anything that indicated that I thought the warranty started the minute a dealer received a car. What I did say was "the warranty starts when the car is put into service. It doesn't matter if it's a demo."

You said "a dealer promo would not need to register the car for demo purposes as they would have dealer plates or something like that." Based on my experience, dealer plates or registrations, had nothing to do when the warranty began, and a P-O-P did not need to be issued for the warranty to begin. I was pointing out that the warranty went into effect, when a car went into service.

The way I understand it, it made no difference if the car was used as a demo, or sold to the public, as far as GM was concerned if the car was being used the warranty was running. A demo may not have gotten a P-O-P issued to it, but the warranty would be in effect. The P-O-P was not the warranty, but just a physical record of the warranted owner, and the effective date and mileage of the warranty. The way I understand it, if you bought a demo that was driven for 6 months and 3400 miles, you did not get a full 5/50 warranty, you got the balance that was left.

I've never worked in a new car dealership, but I did spend 20 years as the fleet manager for a large national company. We had a couple hundred cars on the road, and number of trucks too. As a result, I spent a lot of time working with new car dealers, and dealing with new car warranties, and I dealt with this a coupe times.

In the case of demos, I disagree that the warranty begins when the first owner takes delivery. From my experience, the warranty begins when the car is put into service. This applied to demos, sporting event courtesy cars, dealer loaners, GM executive vehicles, press pool vehicles, etc. I may be wrong, but this is the way I remember it working from the late 70's to 90's, the years I was involved in purchasing and leasing new vehicles.

For the Corvette Forum, this all really a mute point, because very few Corvettes were ever used as demos.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:44 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Ed,
Nice info!!!
P-O-P is often mentioned, but not the info you have! Thanks.
Regards,
Alan

An example of the 'GM'.
Thanks Alan,

Over the past 40 years I never noticed the GM in green on the dymo label!! Took it out of the file and there it is.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:36 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Gbvette,
I am pretty much in agreement.

The only issue is on the 2nd owner pop, they in fact do stamp in the date the car went into service but this is not on a original owner pop. The originals have the date of pickup by the owner on the dymo tape, which is the date the car went into service. That date gets stamped on the 2nd owner pop as a month/year but not the day.

Now I would like to hear from anyone who knows they have a designated original GM demo car with a original pop. I am curious if they were issued a replacement pop from the dealer through GM and if they only were to receive the balance of the 5 year warranty. Obviously they would get only the balance of the 50k mile portion.

The only reason this is any kind of issue for me is because of the pop shown above by Faster Rat. Maybe the dealers did issue 2nd owner type pop's when a demo car was sold. I never looked into it. It never came up in my travels.

I was also under the impression that most of the demos cars were early vin cars
Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 AM
69small block
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default protecto plate

I have mine original owners manual build sheet plastic bag it came in
Old 03-01-2015, 12:20 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The PoP was used like a modern credit card. The metal plate was put into a hand-operated gizmo that inked the Pop and then it was pressed onto the INFO section of the Service Dept. paperwork. This eliminated the time required to fill out the "Owner Info" section of that documentation. It sped up the processing time and reduced the manual effort required. The PoP always stayed attached to the warranty booklet...until it fell apart from MANY uses.

At least, that's how I remember it.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:00 AM
midvette6067
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The are some very little know facts about the Protecto plate that I have found in my research of corvette documentation. Or at least I have not seen much info on the history of them.

One of the characteristics I have noticed is the imprinting of the word "addressograph". The earlier protecto plates DID NOT have the word addressograph on the plate. They started showing up on the POPs in early February 1969. The earliest I have seen on legitimate POP's was Feb 6 1969.

I have a feeling the neighbors 67 is a repro. It should not have the word "addressograph". The fact that its not attached might be another bad sign.....But my research centers around cars from 1969 so I do not know for sure if 67's are supposed to be in a booklet. But I do know, at least from what the hundreds of pictures I have of them, is that it shows Feb 69 when the word addressograph started getting stamped into the plate.

However, there are later dated POP's that do not have it. I guess it just depended on when stock started to run out newer ones came in. I am sure they did not rotate stock and whichever box was opened kinda thing is what they used. I believe all the repros have the word addressograph on them as they are made from left over stock.

The dymo tape on them usually has the blue-green GM logo but sometimes the dealer might have run out and used whatever was on hand.
I have a 1967 BUICK P-O-P. It has tiny ADDRESS OGRAPH printed on the side edge of the OWNER INF. part of the plate. That plate also has a tiny Buick logo in the corner. Note that this 1967 Buick plate is orig., and still attached to the last page of the warranty booklet. Please also note the OWNER INF. was punched out with an Addressograph machine, so the protect-o-plate was actually two pcs. of metal glued close together. I don't know of any division (other than Buick) that did not use DYMO labels in 1967. I do know that PONTIAC was the first division in the Addressograph contract with GM, and they had "Ident-O-Plates" from 1963-1964. Thanks for reading my post. TD
Old 01-13-2016, 09:33 AM
Rodney Slavin
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by early shark
I have mine for my '71 LS-6. Other documentation includes original dealer sales invoice, original window sticker, original tank sheet, original certificate of ownership title.
How much of this can be acquired now if you don't have it for the car?

Get notified of new replies

To what is a PROTECT O PLATE?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi RS,
That's a loaded question.
"Paper Work" really gets people in a snit because much of it is now being reproduced, and, because SOME of it has to do with the details of a PARTICULAR car the question arises as to when a reproduction item becomes a counterfeit item.
The next questions then are…. to whom does it matter, how much does it matter, and under what circumstances does it matter.
Window stickers and tank sheets are being reproduced for 'amusement purposes', but for an addition fee can be aged to "look original".
Many people search for original 'gloves box' items which except for the POP aren't tied to a particular car but went into each car. This doesn't seem to bother anyone.
Regards,
Alan

Glove box items. All 'original' (I think!).
Some from my car and some purchased!
Name:  DSC_0251_5.jpg
Views: 4495
Size:  191.0 KB

Maybe currently the most difficult to find? (Either original or reproduction.)
Name:  NCRSPICII.jpg
Views: 4454
Size:  174.0 KB

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-13-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:50 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by midvette6067
I have a 1967 BUICK P-O-P. It has tiny ADDRESS OGRAPH printed on the side edge of the OWNER INF. part of the plate. That plate also has a tiny Buick logo in the corner. Note that this 1967 Buick plate is orig., and still attached to the last page of the warranty booklet. Please also note the OWNER INF. was punched out with an Addressograph machine, so the protect-o-plate was actually two pcs. of metal glued close together. I don't know of any division (other than Buick) that did not use DYMO labels in 1967. I do know that PONTIAC was the first division in the Addressograph contract with GM, and they had "Ident-O-Plates" from 1963-1964. Thanks for reading my post. TD
The word ADRESSOGRAPH was used earlier than I thought. Its stamped on one side. However depending on which side they put the plate on the machine the info might not be on the side with the ADRRESSOGRAPGH wording showing up. It could be on the side glued down. I was wrong about that.

As to your Buick plate. Is it a replacement plate? Replacement protecto plates had the name and address of the owner stamped in and did not use dymo tape. It could be that the original owner lost his plate or a second/third owner taking over the ramainder of the warranty. Sometimes the word "replacement" is ink stamped onto the cover of the booklet but not always.

Check out post #24 by Faster Rat for the picture.

Last edited by ed427vette; 01-13-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:25 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Boy I learned allot.
I have 85% of a tank sticker only.
Marshal

Quick Reply: what is a PROTECT O PLATE?