Sponsored by:

What to look for when looking at C3's

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:15 PM
rrshepard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to look for when looking at C3's

Do you guys have any sort of checklist that you use as you inspect each car? Looking for my first and would like it to be a 69-72 and would like to have something in hand that would keep me on task as I look at each car. I tend to get emotional about the look of a car, and lose sight of the potential issues. If there is a website out there or something that you have created to map out the process that would be great. Thanks...
Old 04-25-2005, 11:49 PM
matchframe
Pro

The main thing to look for is possible rust on the frame. One place that shows rust is on the frame just in front of the rear wheel. That is where the trailing arm pivots in the frame pocket. Water tends to get trapped in there and causes rust.

www.corvettefaq.com is a good place to research other things to look for when shopping for a C3. Hope this helps!

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 04-25-2005, 11:50 PM
pionexxxx
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I bought my 68 i made sure the frame and birdcage is rust free or only has surface rust on the frame.

going with a 68-72 chrome bumper car is a good choice just put it on a lift and check it over GOOD these are 30+ year old cars no telling where and what they have been through.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:22 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Rear wheel bearings are a BIG job and not cheap to replace. Checkout the suspension bushings. Brakes can run up a large bill if no good. Expect around $5000 for a paint job. And then of course like the others stated, checkout the frame for rot particularly wheel the rear frame kicks up and check for cracks in the frame in the engine bay around the motor mounts and steering components (carcks can happen from normal wear & tear).
Old 04-26-2005, 10:13 AM
rrshepard
Instructor

Thanks guys...the rust thing is something I always check for. It's the little things that I being a novice may not think to look for such as the spacing on the doors and hood, stuff like that.
Thanks again...always tons of help on this site...love it!
Old 04-26-2005, 05:12 PM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by pionexxxx
when I bought my 68 i made sure the frame and birdcage is rust free or only has surface rust on the frame.

IMO, the bridcage, closly followed by the frame are the #1 things you can check as they are the most expensive/biggest pain to deal with. Rear bearings, brakes and the like can also be expensive, but the first two involve major work to either lift/remove the body or remove panels. All the others can be dealt w/as normal mechanical repairs if necessary.

Good Luck w/your search!

Get notified of new replies

To What to look for when looking at C3's

Quick Reply: What to look for when looking at C3's