Sponsored by:

ARGG!!! I need a front end mechanic in middle GA

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Fubba
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ARGG!!! I need a front end mechanic in middle GA

I need to have my rag joint, control arm bushings, and ball joints replaced. This is what I've been told from just a look under the car...not after taking things apart. My regular mechanic has closed up shop. I can't do it myself because I don't have the knowledge or the tools plus it's a daily driver and I need it fixed as quickly as possible. Why are there so many morons that are mechanics I've got to find someone. One place was ridiculously high for what needed doing ($1000), one didn't feel comfortable doing it, and the last one acted like he didn't care and I don't want to leave my car with him. I've talked to a guy in the local Corvette club but can't get in touch with the guy he referred me to. Can anyone tell me where I can find a COMPETENT front end mechanic or a Corvette shop nearby. I am at my wit's end with this thing.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:17 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You said Fayetteville was too far?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:13 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

The parts you are talking about are pretty well vanilla type jobs. Knowledge we can help you with. The only semi-hard job is removing the spring to get the A-arms out. Rest is easy. How far into Georgia is Milledgeville? IE How far from Forida?

There is a great covette shop at Thomasville (South Georgia Corvettes), Aaron owns the place. He specializes in Z06s but should be able to point you to a place that can help you out.

You can get all the peices from Van-Steel. Get the A-arms as cores and then swap them out over a weekend. All you really need to take it to a shop for is to get it aligned. Everything just bolts on. The catalog from Van Steel and VBP has torque settings in there for the bolts and pictures of the front end.

Tools wise you need a socket set, ball joint fork and a spring compressor, floor jack and two jack stands. You can rent a spring compressor from places like pep boys / O'Reillys. Rest you can buy for under $100.

Good luck and start asking questions!

Pete
Old 04-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Fubba
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found someone. All I had to do was look in the phone book and there it was...Corvette Classics. I immediately took it up there to two guys who know more about 'Vettes than I've ever seen. They showed me everything up under my car and helped me figure out what I needed to do to it. I also found out that my yokes are eating into the seals of the case in the rear end. Gotta get that done to. You can move the wheel up and down when the tire is off the ground. Getting everything done. Said it would take them two days labor.

Get notified of new replies

To ARGG!!! I need a front end mechanic in middle GA

Quick Reply: ARGG!!! I need a front end mechanic in middle GA