Sponsored by:

looking for an alternative instead of paying this for valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default looking for an alternative instead of paying this for valve covers

dads 68s needs new valve covers one is good other has chrome flaking its a 68 l36 427 and these look just like his originals http://www.corvette-paragon.com/cata...B-9EBAB76B6C2D

the car doesn't have pb so the covers don't need that slant they're just like those in the pic the paragon ones have drippers and look as close to the originals on it I've seen.

but is there somewhere else that offers some about as nice and original looking for less? because 500 is a bit steap

mid americas and places like that don't have the drippers and all so were wanting something a little more original looking than those.

thanks for any advice!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:30 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Why not just have your originals re-chromed ???

Why not just have your originals re-chromed ???
Old 04-26-2005, 03:50 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sray454
Why not just have your originals re-chromed ???
We've thought about that, what should that run to redo the valve covers? any idea?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:47 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set of the Trans-dapt look-a-likes. No drippers, the baffles are too wide and rub the adjacent rocker tip, they are thin and warp too easy, the chrome is easy to scratch. I wasn't happy.

I replaced them last weekend with these:

It is close at the alternator, but they fit fine. They came with grommets, filler plug, and black bolts. They have cast-in drippers and riveted baffles. I haven't started the engine yet, but so far they seem well worth the cost of about $150. You can also order the stick-on badges that go in that blank square. I got those, too. There are no pictures of the 427, but they look just like these except the numbers are red with a polished outline:

The only hitch is that the holes for the breather and PCV valve are in teh wrong places. The pcv was no big deal, but the other side where the breather would go didn't line up with my factory air cleaner base and it's vapor line. I need to order the grommet for the filler hole (which DOES line up), so that I can get the PCV system in operation.

Last edited by CGGorman; 04-26-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:46 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

thanks for the replies looks like either pay a lot for some nice reproductions ($490!!!) or pay a lot to get then re chromed...o well just thought someone might know of a site that has um a bit cheaper.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:50 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I got a quote from a good chromer near me. $325-350. He said most of the process is preparation.

I don't know where I got these old chrome covers but they needed new chrome. I wasn't a big fan of the chrome covers and liked the big orange look better.

I painted them Chevy Orange-red.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:43 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Got me an excellent set of original '69 BB covers, with the proper 2nd design "thumb-ridge" for $35 on ebay. Also, if you want the original factory finish, ask for "flash chrome" when you get a quote from a plater--it's a lot cheaper than the triple chrome they usually quote you when you ask to get something rechromed. It's not as pretty, it's prone to flaking, and you can clearly see every detail of the dripper welds through it, but it is factory-correct. GM didn't do no fancy-azz triple chrome on their valve covers.

JB

Get notified of new replies

To looking for an alternative instead of paying this for valve covers

Quick Reply: looking for an alternative instead of paying this for valve covers