C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood insulation Q (got the new pad today)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:22 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hood insulation Q (got the new pad today)

I ordered Eckler's OEM replacement style hood insulation - looks good (though it's charcoal colored not yellow like the OEM)

The original was loose 1/2 weave insulation on both sides. It was intact but just very dirty on the original yellow color so I wanted it gone

New stuff as I said, is dark colored but only one side has the loose weave. The other side is like a tighter knit padding and I'm tempted to put THAT side DOWN facing the motor because I think it looks neater. On the other hand, the OEM stuff stayed up there fine all these years and the clips are all still there.

So poll: Loose side down or the neater looking side?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:03 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

My original is "tight" weave on both sides,and charcoal.Has been there since I bought the Vette in 1979.
Have to vacuum it more frequently,so intend on washing it,and re-installing. Bob Baker quoted $120.00 for the (ahem) GM replacement.Seems they(GM) used different material in 1978 from 1976????
EDIT:Suggest tight side towards engine to prevent loose particles from falling.

Last edited by rihwoods; 04-27-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Custum73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of doing the same, but because mine is currently lacking any insulation. Hood is aftermarket and doesn't have any means for attaching insulation. Do I just glue on clips?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:30 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rihwoods
My original is "tight" weave on both sides,and charcoal.Has been there since I bought the Vette in 1979.
Have to vacuum it more frequently,so intend on washing it,and re-installing. Bob Baker quoted $120.00 for the (ahem) GM replacement.Seems they(GM) used different material in 1978 from 1976????
EDIT:Suggest tight side towards engine to prevent loose particles from falling.
It may have been different. This stuff is like attic insulation - you can pick it apart by hand easily. Turns out though that it only goes on one way - the side cuts are assymetrical so if upside down, I'd have to recut it. It went on fine and looks much better than the old yellow stuff ever did.

And it only cost 30 bux or so!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Custum73
Instructor

I was thinking of doing the same, but because mine is currently lacking any insulation. Hood is aftermarket and doesn't have any means for attaching insulation. Do I just glue on clips?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:04 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Custum73
I think you can purchase 1 1/2" square sheetmetal with pins attached (used by insulators who glue them on) for attaching insulation.Check with home insulation suppliers.That way you can glue the sheetmetal square to your hood with the pin sticking out.There is a "holding" clip that slides onto the pin.This is similar to the original ones on my hood,except they are round.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:12 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
It may have been different. This stuff is like attic insulation - you can pick it apart by hand easily. Turns out though that it only goes on one way - the side cuts are assymetrical so if upside down, I'd have to recut it. It went on fine and looks much better than the old yellow stuff ever did.

And it only cost 30 bux or so!
At the Qualcomm auto swap meet,a guy was selling 1/4" thick(foam) insulation with foil backing that was good for 350 degrees and a noise barrier. He said to put the foil towards engine.After thinking about it, I had reservations and will use it under my new carpet instead,which is a better application,in my mind. It was $35 for a 5'X10' roll.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:58 PM
DonBecker
Racer

I've heard/seen alot of folks using that foam stuff for interior insulation/heat barrier. Supposedly works good on inside of doors as well, would be a snug fit though...

$30 from Ecker's? Sign me up!

I think the 'correct' clips - Dr. Rebuild has them, don't remember the cost, but not cheap.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:01 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i don't think you can put it in upside down because of the pattern....i thought about that also.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-27-2005, 05:04 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
i don't think you can put it in upside down because of the pattern....i thought about that also.

[IMG][/IMG]
Man,that insulation is long !! Mine ends half way. Must be short because it was an Arizona car!!

Last edited by rihwoods; 04-27-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:22 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Man,that insulation is long !! Mine ends half way. Must be short because it was an Arizona car!!
worst part about is that the side you don't see is nicely finished...i almost think they cut it backwards..
Old 04-27-2005, 05:29 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

worst part about is that the side you don't see is nicely finished...i almost think they cut it backwards..

My thoughts EXACTLY!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:44 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
My thoughts EXACTLY!

i never called them on this perhaps a phone call would be in order.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

When I had my 79, I put new hood insulation on it. It looked exactly like yours. I always thought it was upside down too. That has been at least 7 or 8 years ago.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:29 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my under hood insulation(the first time) 3 yrs ago from bolingbrook chevy in bolingbrook illinois,it was still available for a 73 coupe and was ard 50.00-over the winter i wanted a ''freshen up'' under the hood so i bought one from ecklers that doesnt look anything like the g.m one i had.the eleckers insulation looks like someone made it out of a roll of flat insulation material in there garage!!,,,nowhere the same quality as the g.m------i'll just get the g.m again when this one starts to look beat up-now i check with the general before i buy parts to see if the origional are available,some of this aftermarket stuff is garbege
Old 04-28-2005, 09:16 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by carl a
i bought my under hood insulation(the first time) 3 yrs ago from bolingbrook chevy in bolingbrook illinois,it was still available for a 73 coupe and was ard 50.00-over the winter i wanted a ''freshen up'' under the hood so i bought one from ecklers that doesnt look anything like the g.m one i had.the eleckers insulation looks like someone made it out of a roll of flat insulation material in there garage!!,,,nowhere the same quality as the g.m------i'll just get the g.m again when this one starts to look beat up-now i check with the general before i buy parts to see if the origional are available,some of this aftermarket stuff is garbege
Is your GM one "tight" weave on both sides ? Mine is. No loose insulation,other than some fraying in spots from wear since 78'. It is about 1/2 " thick.Just checked here at Bob Baker Chev a few weeks ago,and they quoted $120 for my 78'.
I have looked every where trying to find something like the GM version.No dice.I'm going to wash it by hosing the turkey on the drive way,then let it air dry.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:31 AM
XShark
Race Director

I simply painted the yellow side black with spray paint.

I shook it out a lot to make sure no bits would fall into the engine compartment, then installed it.

It looks great. I have a pic, but its on a different computer at home.
I'll post it tonight.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood insulation Q (got the new pad today)

Quick Reply: Hood insulation Q (got the new pad today)