C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done to My Vette

Old 05-03-2005, 11:10 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done to My Vette

Yesterday I put a new radiator in the stock '80. No problems, Not bad at all.

Today. I decided to put in a new windshield washer jar and a new radiator overflow tank.

The radiator tank required taking off the fender mounted air induction tube and the A/C compressor from the bracket. Still it really wasn't that bad.

The Windshield Washer Jar was another @#$%^ 'n story!

It was almost impossible to get out must less back in. It required removal of the charcoal canister and bracket and a trick monkey to get it back in. I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't find it listed in the shop manual. Never again! I'll defiantly have this marked to go in while the body is off the frame on the other one! jim
Old 05-03-2005, 11:29 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Windex and paper towels work better. Mine leaks,and it can rot there.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:44 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Miami is really cool for dirty windshields: you can pull up to any stoplight downtown and guys come out of nowhere and start washing your windshield with windex ( not really sure WHAT they have in those bottles) and newspaper. Some nice people tip them.

who needs a washer bottle?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Crash80
Drifting

My washer bottle started to develop a very slow leak and I looked at what it would take to get it out. I closed the hood and had another beer after just looking. I don't think I want to tackle that project any time soon. Looks like one of those projects where you tackle it if you ever have the engine out.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:48 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Windex and paper towels work better. Mine leaks,and it can rot there.
Words of wisdom.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:53 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

when the engine is out its easy.....you stand where the engine is and put your arm in between the fire wall and mst cyl vaccum booster and use an extension on the reatchet and the top bolt is easy....can't imagine trying to duplicate that arm position in any other way....
Old 05-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by PROSOUTH
It was almost impossible to get out must less back in. It required removal of the charcoal canister and bracket and a trick monkey to get it back in.

maybe you need teh trunk monkey system!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the problem with the 80's style body design or the earlier ones? I see the bottle tucked in under the fender well but I didn't really know how difficult it was to re & re. I think mine maybe leaking also but it's not my main concern now. Rebuilding the fricken Q-Jet is.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:46 PM
adam
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

> Putting in a new radiator was easy.

How many times did you put it in?

I could never get the shroud aligned on the radiator. I ended up rubbing a hole
in the radiator in the middle due to the electric fan.

Recently I found out that the radiator and shroud went in as a unit when
assembled - that's why it was easier...

I couldn't get the charcoal canister out - I can't imagine the washer fluid bottle.
Will remember to do something about that when engine is out...
Old 05-04-2005, 05:24 PM
danboback
Melting Slicks

When I got my Vette I noticed that it didnt work so I just avoided the rain b/c it looks like a PITA to replace, thanks for the verification of that!
Old 05-04-2005, 07:58 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Is the problem with the 80's style body design or the earlier ones? I see the bottle tucked in under the fender well but I didn't really know how difficult it was to re & re. I think mine maybe leaking also but it's not my main concern now. Rebuilding the fricken Q-Jet is.
Yes, I think it is the 77-82 that have the difficult ones.

The Vette has some tight spots but this one is the worst of all. I looked and tried to figure out the trick to get it done and there just wasn't any good way.

It is possible to remove the hoses from the canister and take it completely out through the bottom. I had trouble getting the hoses loose because of the limited space and so I tried to juggle the two pieces instead. It did work, but I'm not sure which would have been easier if either.

I took off the washer pump through the side vent, This requires removal of the upper neck then a 7/8th inch deepwell socket with a dab of weatherstrip adhesive to allow the filter to stay with the socket as it is removed. I used a 6" extension with the socket to reach the bottom and remove the filter. It goes back in the same way.

Next the charcoal canister was loosened, removed the bracket, and pushed it straight up while moving the washer jar down. It just barely cleared the frame and inner fender on the way down. In fact it required a little force to get it out the bottom. I actually rolled and turned the jar several times in order to align its decent.

This is not an easy task and not something quickly done. Oh yeah, for those with no patience stay away! and beer doesn't help accomplish this one. lol jim
Old 05-04-2005, 08:34 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Putting in a new radiator was easy.

ADAM "How many times did you put it in? I could never get the shroud aligned on the radiator. I ended up rubbing a hole in the radiator in the middle due to the electric fan."

I really did not have any problems removing or installing the new HD Modine radiator. ($165 dlr cost) I removed the top radiator brackets and the two bolts from the shroud, took the upper and lower radiator hoses off and the anti-vibration connector hoses and bottom clamps from the transmission lines then pulled the shroud toward the fan and lifted the radiator out.

The shroud pushes down and two tabs go into slots one on each side of the cradle. Just don't tighten anything up tight until it all aligns. I snugged the four bolts on the brackets in conjunction with the two shroud bolts until they were all tight and in proper alignment. jim
Old 05-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Try your trailing arms next..... those are a real PITA!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:17 PM
BDVT69
Racer

Try a body off restoration when the car has been in a field for 15 years. Everything is a PITA.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:27 AM
1979L82
Instructor

Default Try this

The windshield reservoir bottle leaked on my 79 as well. It is difficult but try this. Remove the nuts holding the master cylinder on the vacuum brake booster; there are 4 of them. Do not disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder. Using a pry gently pry/push the master cylinder from the mounting studs and then support it as not to kink the brake lines. With the master cylinder moved the washer bottle could be accessed. I believe that the self-tapping speed screw that fastens the bottle to the support bracket is a 10mm. It will take about 1.5 to 2.0 hours. Be patient. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done to My Vette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done to My Vette