Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Engine Block - Primer???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 09:54 AM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Engine Block - Primer???

Was beginning process of painting block. I bought some Plastikote engine paint. I was surprised not to see any mention of a primer. Anyone know if there is a primer out there? Can I spray the paint direct on the bare (and clean) metal?

The block is just back from machinist, and is bare metal. I was going to degrease with dilluted simple green.

Thanks
-75 BBC Stingray
Old 05-07-2005, 10:17 AM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need primer on the cast iron parts. The tin should be primed with a good self-etching primer. Joe
Old 05-07-2005, 04:08 PM
emf1367
Intermediate

I didn't use primer on my new rebuild because I'm going for NCRS standards. However I did use a good enamel reducer to clean all the parts before painting. I don't suggest using simple green or any other similar cleaner. Anything that doesn't get rinsed off completely could cause the paint to fish-eye, bubble, or just not adhere properly. I bought the enamel reducer at the local aoutbody/paint supply store. They gave me the suggestion and it worked great.

I didn't use primer on any of the tin either because of NCRS standards. All my paint turned out great except for one valve cover that I forgot to clean with the reducer. I removed the paint and cleaned it with reducer before repainting it. It turned out great afterwards.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:52 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wipe it all down with lacquer thinner or reducer first. You shouldn't need primer.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:53 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Thanks for the replys.
I ended up spraying it with simple green diluted with water and scrubbing it with a 3M steel wool substitute. Then I sponged the surface with plain water until the surface rinsed clean with no suds. After it dried, I wiped it with acetone. Then I painted. The scouring pad and simple green really did a good job getting rid of the very slight surface rust and any remaining oils/machinist fluid. Got the first coat on now...
Old 05-08-2005, 08:07 PM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Pics we need pics type is cheap so put the pic where your typing is.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting Engine Block - Primer???

Quick Reply: Painting Engine Block - Primer???