C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one that hates the term "Stingray"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 11:02 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a s-10 ray '' stingray-10th generation'' this is how the 10th generation will look------------
Old 05-17-2005, 11:17 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I like the term 'Stingray' because it fits the car... the fenders of the 68-82 kind of relate to a stingray flapping it's "wings" in the water....

Well... at least it makes more sense than "Mustang Cobra".... I never really thought of this one... ... a horse and a snake ???
Old 05-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Tumarr
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greyghost79
yeah, but on the other hand, Corvette isn't much better. originally, a corvette was an amphibious assault vehicle.
Well actually a Corvette is a type of warship. A small, fast and manuverable warship bigger than a frigate but smaller than a destroyer.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:53 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Yes

totally.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Tall Boy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jughead
I like the question: "Is that a Stingray Man?"

or how some unknowing think that a Stingray was a special Corvette model or version.
I hear that all the time
Old 05-18-2005, 12:12 AM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

My boss is a Japanese citizen that is working in the US on a 5 year work VISA. I drove to work in my 86 and he said...."Take me for a ride in your STINGRAY" It seems to him that every Vette is a Stingray....no matter the year.

That was cool to think how other cultures may view our cars. I havent told him that the Stingray stopped in 82.. and I havent told him that I have 2 real Stingrays at my house.

kdf
Old 05-18-2005, 04:08 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CGGorman
Maybe it's because I've got a '68, but I find that term...annoying. Don't know exactly why, other than it seems most who use it don't know squat about Vettes. There have always been multiple Vettes in our family and I've NEVER heard any of us call any of them stingrays...even the C2s... They were alway just "Vette"s. If we needed further qualification, we would add the year or engine size/type. When we added a C4 to the stable, we would drive either the "85" or the "68", etc.

"Stingray" (or "Sting Ray") just seems bubba. No offense to those who find the term endearing.

Am I crazy? Do I need a reality check/ attitude adjustment?
Well I thought I would weigh in on this one. I guess it kinda depends on when you grew up. You see in 63' when the real Stingray made its mark on the world I was in the 6th grade and I remember from that point on how everyone knew Chevrolets latest Corvette to be a Corvette Stingray or just plain Stingray. This car, way ahead of its time was a real head turner then as it still is today. There was nothing like it on the road and everyones dream car. As we all know this followed through the 67' year.
My opinion. I feel the C-2 is the only true Stingray having the name to begin with. During the early 60's even Schwinn bicycles wanted to jump on the popularity of the Corvette Stingray and came out with a Stingray bike with the high handle bars and banana seat. The name and car was so popular that even during the early 80's Actor Nick Mancuso starred in the hit TV series "Stingray" with his famous 65' Black Coupe.

When Chevrolet came out with the 68' Corvette it was somewhat of a copy of the Maco Shark as anyone would or should know who knows anything about Corvettes. People also went crazy over this version of the Corvette back then. I guess that is why Chevrolet kept the C-3 model for so many years from 68'-82'. I really don't consider the C-3 a Stingray and hope I don't offend anyone here because I own both a C-2 and a C-3 and have owned a Vette almost every year of my life since owning my first C-2 a 67' Vert in 1970. I have owned two C-2's and three C-3's during my lifetime since. To me all C-3's are Sharks, everyone a version of the original Maco Shark concept car.

Fred
Old 05-18-2005, 05:07 AM
copter
Drifting

I like it
Old 05-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Paul @ Thunder
Pro

Originally Posted by ffas23
I really don't consider the C-3 a Stingray.
A C3 is a "Stingray" but a C2 is not. It's a "Sting Ray"

The General said it's a Stingray so it's a Stingray. If you don't like it take the badges off, I for one will keep mine on.. Ahhh that reminds me of one of the greatest quotes of all time; "Badges,,,, We don't need no stinkin badges".

Old 05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
wartosh
Advanced

I like it better than Flounder
Old 05-18-2005, 12:12 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Originally Posted by AGVI
I never really thought of that 'till now.
What's wrong with Cobra? Tough name for a tough car.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:20 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So, basically, I need to STFU and put on a big, proud smile when some "moron" (some of my closest friends included) says I have a nice Stingray, or asks if it's a Stingray. Of course, that's how I currently handle it, but I still cringe when I hear the word.

Sorry, I guess I just can't change. Maybe I'm clinically ill? The nickname will always irritate me, I think. It's kinda like the Trans Am's "Bandit/Knight Rider/Kitt" or the Charger's "General Lee" or the Mustang's "Bullit" (or heaven forbid, the "conquistador" :blech: . At least the Boss, Judge, Cobra, etc. are actual performance subsets of a broader model offering. I can deal fine with those types of names...

"Is that a General Lee?"
"Um...NO. It's a Charger."

I realize there is a difference between some of those examples and the Stingray because of badging. That doesn't change my opinion.

"Stingray" = poser/uninformed. I'd be instantly turned off or at least annoyed at a show if someone approached me with that word dripping from their mouth. I'd MUCH rather talk to someone who doesn't know squat and doesn't make any attempt to appear otherwise.

"L36...L71...L46...etc." = insider/informed. I'd be impressed and instantly engaged in coversation with a person who approached and asked a question about RPOs.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ffas23
My opinion. I feel the C-2 is the only true Stingray having the name to begin with. During the early 60's even Schwinn bicycles wanted to jump on the popularity of the Corvette Stingray and came out with a Stingray bike with the high handle bars and banana seat. The name and car was so popular that even during the early 80's Actor Nick Mancuso starred in the hit TV series "Stingray" with his famous 65' Black Coupe.

When Chevrolet came out with the 68' Corvette it was somewhat of a copy of the Maco Shark as anyone would or should know who knows anything about Corvettes. People also went crazy over this version of the Corvette back then. I guess that is why Chevrolet kept the C-3 model for so many years from 68'-82'. I really don't consider the C-3 a Stingray. To me all C-3's are Sharks, everyone a version of the original Maco Shark concept car.

Fred
I agree. As far as I'm concerned; C2s are Sting Rays - C3s are Sharks or Mako Sharks. '63 coupes with with the rear split window resemble a real Sting Ray and also the 1959 Bill Mitchell Stingray racer concept car.

C3s resemble a real shark and the 1965 Mako Shark concept car. That's why there is no Stingray emblem on my car although there may be a Mako Shark emblem some day if I can figure out how to make one!!
Old 05-18-2005, 01:49 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by KALAWAY
What's wrong with Cobra? Tough name for a tough car.
Nothing is wrong with Cobra. When paired with Mustang however, it sounds stupid in my opinion.

Ford Mustang Cobra is a combination of a warm-blooded mammal and a cold-blooded reptile. In fact, I think most horses are scared of snakes.

Tom
Old 05-18-2005, 01:55 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

"horse" drivers SHOULD be afraid of "snake" drivers!

I read somewhere that the Mustang was actually named after the P-51 fighter, but the horse made for a better icon, or emblem.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Mark70
Burning Brakes

I kinda like "Stingray". Plus, I don't mind talking to anyone about my car, whether they are "informed" or "uninformed". Some uninformed people are truly interested in learning more about Corvettes, and I think it would be a shame to have them get the impression that Covette owners are snobby. I'm not saying you are snobby, but I certainly don't want to spread that impression. I hear that comment from time to time about Corvette owners, and it bothers me. Helping others to learn about Corvettes, and collector cars in general, can only help spread enthusiam. Of course, I also get the "steel bodied Corvette" questions, but if after my explanation, they still insist, I just turn away and shake my head and smile.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:23 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Well I obviously have WAY to much time to kill to weigh in on this subject....but....using my "DJ" background...

My idea of a Stingray is a 1963 split window. The Beach Boys even sang about it in Shut Down..."my Fuel Injected Stingray and a 413"...
they didn't say Corvette or Shark. In that era a Stingray WAS a Vette.

Fast forward to the fruitcake Prince (or person formerly known as )
and he sings "little red Corvette". So that full name is accurate for the newer versions that dropped the Stingray label.

The C3 is kinda stuck in the middle. It's actually not based on a Stingray, but on a Mako Shark. Sorry...but I will NEVER refer to ANY car as a "Shark" unless it's a REAL Mako Shark. That's the equivalent of calling a Mustang a "Cobra". There was ONLY ONE REAL Cobra, and that was the one that trounced the Stingrays in SCCA competition in the mid-to-late 60s. The body was aluminum and the engine was a 289 or 427. But I digress

Every one of my friends and hot rod buddies refer to my car as a "Vette". That's what I call it and I'm sticking to my story

Dep

Get notified of new replies

To Am I the only one that hates the term "Stingray"?

Old 05-18-2005, 02:27 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

I...STFU and put on a big, proud smile when some "moron" (some of my closest friends included) says I have a nice Stingray, or asks if it's a Stingray...[T]hat's how I currently handle it, but I still cringe when I hear the word.

Of course I'm not snobbish about being a Corvette owner! I didn't even WANT a Vette a year and a half ago. I grew up with them practiaclly INFESTING the family. I was TIRED of Vettes! I was working on a getting $50k ERA 427 Cobra replica to build. Had the quote and assembly manual. I was ready to write a check. However, things have a way of changing and I try to roll with the punches. When a 68 Corvette from my past landed back in my lap "worthless" and stripped, I took upon myself to learn as much as I could and put it right. While I was at it, I had to reconcile my desire for a Cobra because the "cobra money" was going to have to be redirected to the Vette. I can't afford the Cobra any more because I've invested more than a little cash into the Vette. That's OK. Now I embrace Corvette ownership with as much enthusiasm as I can. If it's possible, a Convertible big-block Vette is more practical (and "parkable") than a Cobra anyway. It's not as fast (too heavy) or capable (floppy frame) as the ERA would've been ,but hey, it's REAL...not a replica.

I was riding in Corvettes BEFORE I was born, while still in the womb. I've never known a day withOUT them. I'm a Corvette fanatic and I'll talk to anybody about mine or anyone elses. I just don't like the term "stingray".
Old 05-18-2005, 02:50 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I just don't like the term "stingray".
SNOB!!!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:32 PM
bryan27
Racer

I like the term stingray for the C3 body shape and agree that the car looks like a stingray flapping its "wings" with it's giant curvy lines.

What I don't like is SHARK. Our cars don't look anything like a shark, and GM never called them sharks.

You want a shark - go get one of those HIDEOUS fiberglass kits.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one that hates the term "Stingray"?