C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one that hates the term "Stingray"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have noticed that more non-Vette owners call them Stingrays. Most Vette owners, see I did it again, call them Vettes. But I'm not going to get my back up when someone expresses interest in my Vette or any car for that matter using what ever term they are familiar with. It's all about building the brotherhood man, take a chill pill.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:40 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dep, you can shove that poop stirrer right up your stingray!

Take a pill? I never said it got my back up. It just don't like the way it sounds or the image it evokes in my mind. I'd CERTAINLY never actually tell anyone they were stupid (or whatever) for calling my car that. I'm just trying to describe my viewpoint...not very well, apparently. A person can refer my Vette as a Stingray if they want, but I won't ever call it that. If somebody in traffic were to holler, "Hey, nice Stingray!" I'd smile and thank them while thinking to myself that they really don't know much about Corvettes or cars in general...right or wrong. I guess it's a stereotype, of sorts, and that makes me a biggot (go for it, Dep!). So be it. I'd prefer it if they called them Corvettes and left it at that. I understand that all you guy and gals (are still any here?) on this forum know quite a LOT about Vettes, and C3s specifically, so I certainly wouldn't think of any of you as "morons". It's a selective stereotype! Yeah, that's the ticket. I have close friends (who know PLENTY about cars) that insist on referring to "wheels" as "rims" and it's all I can do to keep from correcting them (or choking the life from their bodies) as I stand there listening to them. I don't, of course, because they're friends and I respect them. Similar situation here. I consider you all friends, after a manner of speaking. I don't even know most your first names, but that doesn't change the fact that we have something in common and talk about it regularly.

You want to see me get my back up? Call my Lincoln LS a Continental. Don't bother, here... I've baited you now and it won't work! If somebody did THAT, I'd politely correct them while pointing out ALL the differences (both philosophical and physical) between the two. It would be a regular sermon!
Old 05-18-2005, 04:40 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Here's the car that is correctly called a SHARK.

http://corvettelegends.com/mako.htm

Dep
Old 05-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CGGorman
Dep, you can shove that poop stirrer right up your stingray!

Take a pill? I never said it got my back up. It just don't like the way it sounds or the image it evokes in my mind. I'd CERTAINLY never actually tell anyone they were stupid (or whatever) for calling my car that. I'm just trying to describe my viewpoint...not very well, apparently. A person can refer my Vette as a Stingray if they want, but I won't ever call it that. If somebody in traffic were to holler, "Hey, nice Stingray!" I'd smile and thank them while thinking to myself that they really don't know much about Corvettes or cars in general...right or wrong. I guess it's a stereotype, of sorts, and that makes me a biggot (go for it, Dep!). So be it. I'd prefer it if they called them Corvettes and left it at that. I understand that all you guy and gals (are still any here?) on this forum know quite a LOT about Vettes, and C3s specifically, so I certainly wouldn't think of any of you as "morons". It's a selective stereotype! Yeah, that's the ticket. I have close friends (who know PLENTY about cars) that insist on referring to "wheels" as "rims" and it's all I can do to keep from correcting them (or choking the life from their bodies) as I stand there listening to them. I don't, of course, because they're friends and I respect them. Similar situation here. I consider you all friends, after a manner of speaking. I don't even know most your first names, but that doesn't change the fact that we have something in common and talk about it regularly.

You want to see me get my back up? Call my Lincoln LS a Continental. Don't bother, here... I've baited you now and it won't work! If somebody did THAT, I'd politely correct them while pointing out ALL the differences (both philosophical and physical) between the two. It would be a regular sermon!

Hey, that's cool if you want to be internally miffed when someone calls your Vette a Stingray. Just be kind to the common folk. We were all there once.

It is funny how "wheels" are now "rims".

I guess you gotta roll , no pun intended, with the changes.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:53 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Chris: I like your STINGRAY and CONTINENTAL. HA!

Heck...I can REALLY stir the pot and congradulate you on owning a CHROME BUMPER Vette and not one of those heavyweight, slug, rubber buggy bumper cars. Or I could get that pot bubblin' by saying that the 350 engine rubber bumper cars don't deserve to be called Stingrays OR Corvettes because they all use CAPRICE engines to power them and that's why they are so SLOW.

Whew!! Glad I am smart enough not to say those disparaging things. They might upset someone

I am with you 100% with the "rim" comment. I have rims on my eyeglasses. But I have WHEELS on my vehicles. This redefining of stuff is part of the "upgrading" process. We don't drive plain old cars, they're automobiles or motorcars. We don't turn on radios any more...they're FM "tuners".

And the ultimate thing that sets me on edge....

the JAG YOU ARE. The pussnuts that came up with calling a Jaguar
(properly pronounced Jag whar) this new way is really a sicko. I have a secret hope he will go in the jungle and yell out "JAG YOU ARE" when one of those cats is attacking him and the natives will take his comment as an insult and let him be eaten alive.

Dep

Last edited by DJ Dep; 05-18-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DJ Dep
Here's the car that is correctly called a SHARK.

http://corvettelegends.com/mako.htm

Dep
Dep,

That's a cool link. Our cars have quite a heritage.

And if you notice, it has rubber bumpers.

Last edited by Clint's C3; 05-18-2005 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Can't let the rubber bumper slam slide.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:59 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by Clint's C3
Dep,

And if you notice, it has rubber bumpers.

Another reason why I DON'T want mine called a "Shark"

Dep
Old 05-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

It looks good IMHO and was likely quite the shizz in '65. You have rubber bumper envy.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:17 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think of my car as a "Stingray" even though there is an emblem on the side I have never uttered the word. To be honest with you...I never say "Vette"...it's always "Corvette". Ever hear anyone say "arri" when talking about a "Ferrari" ?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robertmc48
I don't think of my car as a "Stingray" even though there is an emblem on the side I have never uttered the word. To be honest with you...I never say "Vette"...it's always "Corvette". Ever hear anyone say "arri" when talking about a "Ferrari" ?

No, but they are pretty good for picking up "Fer".
Old 05-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

I' love the "Man SWEET Vette, but I much rather the Stingray's" and he wasn't talking about the 'C2's.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Paul @ Thunder
Pro

Originally Posted by Corey_68
I' love the "Man SWEET Vette, but I much rather the Stingray's" and he wasn't talking about the 'C2's.

LOL.....

Yeah I've had the "hey man is that a Stingray"? I kinda of look back at the car thinking just maybe the "stingray" emblem fell off but nope it's still there.

Paul
Old 05-18-2005, 07:13 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by robertmc48
No, but I do hear them calling it a Testa Rosa

Dep
Old 05-18-2005, 07:23 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Originally Posted by gearheaddroppings
Nothing is wrong with Cobra. When paired with Mustang however, it sounds stupid in my opinion.

Ford Mustang Cobra is a combination of a warm-blooded mammal and a cold-blooded reptile. In fact, I think most horses are scared of snakes.

Tom
The Cobra name does actually designate a special higher performance model of Mustang, where as Stingray says nothing about a Corvette.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:28 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan27
I like the term stingray for the C3 body shape and agree that the car looks like a stingray flapping its "wings" with it's giant curvy lines.

What I don't like is SHARK. Our cars don't look anything like a shark, and GM never called them sharks.

You want a shark - go get one of those HIDEOUS fiberglass kits.
You are right in that Chevrolet kept the Sting Ray name tag on for a few years but it is an undisputed fact and this information is listed in the book Corvette Sting Ray 1963-1967 by Mike Mueller. On page 108 it shows an original photo of the Mako Shark ll. In the discription it states quote: (Larry Shinoda's Mako Skark ll was designed in 1965 as the inspiration for the next new Corvette, which was initially planned for 1967. Developmental difficulties eventually delayed that debut until 1968, meaning the so-called "midyear" Sting Ray body had to run one extra year.)

Bryan, Just in case you don't know who Larry Shinoda is he was one of Chevrolets chief designers of the C-2 and C-3 Corvette. If Larry called this concept car a Mako Shark and being the 68'-82' Corvette looks so very similiar to the Mako Shark from what it was originally based on I say a C-3 is really a Shark. I think someone at GM caught on a couple of years later and decided to take the Sting Ray name badges off of the car. This is my opinion from what I know. I don't think you could argue with what I presented here. Do some research and see for yourself.

Last edited by ffas23; 05-19-2005 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:47 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by The_Dude
The Cobra name does actually designate a special higher performance model of Mustang, where as Stingray says nothing about a Corvette.
That's not ALWAYS true...

Ford bought the rights to use the name Cobra from Shelby and then pasted it on every car they could find. I remember the 1968-1970 Torino Cobra. Great big slugs made to compete with the Plymouth Roadrunner.
Then we have the Cobra Jet engine. A 428 Mercury engine that Ford tossed a few 427 parts into.
Who can forget the Mustang II Cobra? A 302 2 barrel with a C4 automatic. wow.

1979-1981 Cobra package - The other third generation Mustang “Cobra” produced by Ford was actually an option package available on 1979-1981 Mustangs. The 1979-1981 Cobra package, offered on base hatchback models (non-Ghia), was primarily a graphics/cosmetic package with a few performance enhancements thrown in for good measure. The Cobra package equipment included: turbocharged 2.3L (with optional 5.0L V-8 (’79) or 4.2L V-8 (’80-’81)); TRX suspension, wheels and tires; sport-tuned exhaust; Cobra graphics (with optional Cobra hood graphics or graphics delete (’81)); dual black remote side view mirrors; color-keyed quarter-window louvers; forward facing hood scoop (’79); Pace Car front spoiler with Marchal foglights; rear spoiler and rear facing hood scoop (’80-’81); external (’79-’81) and interior blackout treatment('80-'81). The 1980-1981 Cobra packages included large “Cobra” lettering in the center of the rear spoiler very similar to the 1985 Canadian Cobra GT. The 1979-1981 Cobra package was offered in both the U.S. and in Canada. The new 1982 Mustang GT replaced the 1981 Cobra in the Mustang model line-up.

There really is ONLY ONE REAL Cobra. That is the AC Cobra from the 60s. The rest just ripped off the name. Note that the new GT500 Mustang coming out next year does NOT use the IRS (Idiotic/Independant Rear Suspension) that the current Mustang Cobra uses. Ford learned it's lesson and listened to it's buyers.

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News.../Shelbycob.htm

Dep
Old 05-18-2005, 07:52 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by ffas23
Bryan, Just in case you don't know who Larry Shinoda is he was one of Chevrolets chief designers of the C-2 and C-3 Corvette. If Larry called this concept car a Mako Shark and being the 68'-82' Corvette looks so very similiar to the Mako Shark from what it was originally base on I say a C-3 is really a Shark. I think someone at GM caught on a couple of years later and decided to take the Sting Ray name badges off of the car. This is my opinion from what I know. I don't think you could argue with what I presented here. Do some research and see for yourself.
Well Larry can KMA because there's no way I would ever call my car anything but a Corvette, a Stingray, a Corvette Stingray, or just plain Vette. Lots of concept cars have different names from the actual production car. Whoever decided to retain the name Corvette and Corvette Stingray..I thank them!!!!

Dep

Get notified of new replies

To Am I the only one that hates the term "Stingray"?

Old 05-18-2005, 07:56 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Cobra Jet Torinos had 390hp, so they weren't exactly slugs.
The Mustang II Cobra was the only Mustang II with a V8. Certainly not a rocket, but neither were the Vettes of that era.
The turbo charged 2.3L was actually faster and handled better than the 5.0s of the time because they were so much lighter.
We can argue all day about whether or not the cars were fast, but you still did actually get a different model of car.

Originally Posted by DJ Dep
That's not ALWAYS true...

Ford bought the rights to use the name Cobra from Shelby and then pasted it on every car they could find. I remember the 1968-1970 Torino Cobra. Great big slugs made to compete with the Plymouth Roadrunner.
Then we have the Cobra Jet engine. A 428 Mercury engine that Ford tossed a few 427 parts into.
Who can forget the Mustang II Cobra? A 302 2 barrel with a C4 automatic. wow.

1979-1981 Cobra package - The other third generation Mustang “Cobra” produced by Ford was actually an option package available on 1979-1981 Mustangs. The 1979-1981 Cobra package, offered on base hatchback models (non-Ghia), was primarily a graphics/cosmetic package with a few performance enhancements thrown in for good measure. The Cobra package equipment included: turbocharged 2.3L (with optional 5.0L V-8 (’79) or 4.2L V-8 (’80-’81)); TRX suspension, wheels and tires; sport-tuned exhaust; Cobra graphics (with optional Cobra hood graphics or graphics delete (’81)); dual black remote side view mirrors; color-keyed quarter-window louvers; forward facing hood scoop (’79); Pace Car front spoiler with Marchal foglights; rear spoiler and rear facing hood scoop (’80-’81); external (’79-’81) and interior blackout treatment('80-'81). The 1980-1981 Cobra packages included large “Cobra” lettering in the center of the rear spoiler very similar to the 1985 Canadian Cobra GT. The 1979-1981 Cobra package was offered in both the U.S. and in Canada. The new 1982 Mustang GT replaced the 1981 Cobra in the Mustang model line-up.

There really is ONLY ONE REAL Cobra. That is the AC Cobra from the 60s. The rest just ripped off the name. Note that the new GT500 Mustang coming out next year does NOT use the IRS (Idiotic/Independant Rear Suspension) that the current Mustang Cobra uses. Ford learned it's lesson and listened to it's buyers.

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News.../Shelbycob.htm

Dep

Last edited by The_Dude; 05-18-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:04 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by The_Dude
Cobra Jet Torinos had 390hp, so they weren't exactly slugs.
The Mustang II Cobra was the only Mustang II with a V8. Certainly not a rocket, but neither were the Vettes of that era.
The turbo charged 2.3L were actually faster and handled better than the 5.0s of the time because they were so much lighter.
My point is that if you bought a Cobra, you actually got a different model of car, so there was a point to that name.
You are wrong about the Torinos. They were big heavy slugs. More luxury boats than race cars.
You are wrong about the Mustang II. They built a Mach 1 version back then that also had a 302 V8. So the Cobra option was nothing more than stripes and tape. No different model at all. Just cosmetics.

The 2.3L burned up quite quickly because turbo technology was in it's infancy back then. Same thing with turbo 4 cyl Mopars.

The true rocket of the 70s was the Firebird Trans Am 455 Super Duty.
It was in the 13s right from the factory.

Dep
Old 05-18-2005, 09:28 PM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tumarr
Well actually a Corvette is a type of warship. A small, fast and manuverable warship bigger than a frigate but smaller than a destroyer.

can you say "frigate" on this forum? :o

Quick Reply: Am I the only one that hates the term "Stingray"?