C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to replace dist, looking for any advice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 10:17 AM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Going to replace dist, looking for any advice...

Bought this 2 months ago
http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.230.1166
along with new wires, plugs, etc. Well between the wedding, etc never got around to putting it in. Before I start, just wondering if anyone had any advice?

While I am pretty mechanically inclined, I am a complee noob when it comes to dist, carbs, etc. and tuning in general.

Thanks in advance...
Shane
Old 05-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Lars has posted a paper on installing your dist. Read it before you start. Thats what I did.....
Old 05-27-2005, 10:34 AM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stewart's74
Lars has posted a paper on installing your dist. Read it before you start. Thats what I did.....
Did not see one form him on corvettefaq.com. Did I miss it?
Old 05-27-2005, 10:38 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

shane...couple of months ago i was visiting the inlaws in Arlington and saw you car coming out of aside street off of lee highway lets see east side i guess ... in between the retirement home and 66...young guy( 28-35) dark short hair with shades driving it....was that you????
Old 05-27-2005, 11:01 AM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
shane...couple of months ago i was visiting the inlaws in Arlington and saw you car coming out of aside street off of lee highway lets see east side i guess ... in between the retirement home and 66...young guy( 28-35) dark short hair with shades driving it....was that you????
Sounds a lot like me actually.....We live about 2 miles further west off of lee highway a few blocks behind the safeway in falls church near the Jefferson Memorial cemetary of you know where that is. You prob actually saw me coming from my in-laws house who live in that area you are describing.

Where in NJ are you? I grew up in NJ and most of my family still lives in southern Jersey outside of Philly.
Shane
Old 05-27-2005, 11:22 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

yes i know both of those areas, lived in Arlington for 15 yrs when i was 22-38 off of Geo Mason drive, well when you see a 47 yr old married guy in a gold honda full of kids with NJ tags honking at you it will be me....we live in spring lake at the jersey shore, about as far east as you can go out 195....next down over from Belmar
Old 05-27-2005, 11:24 AM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

yes i know both of those areas, lived in Arlington for 15 yrs when i was 22-38 off of Geo Mason drive, well when you see a 47 yr old married guy in a gold honda full of kids with NJ tags honking at you it will be me....we live in spring lake at the jersey shore, about as far east as you can go out 195....next down over from Belmar
Will look for you! ;-)
Well, we are actually in that area a few times a year as well. My wifes aunt has a condo on the beach in Bethany. So if YOU ever see a 30 yr old in a blue Murano hjoking back, thats me.

Next time you are inthe area, feel free to stop by for a beer.
Shane
Old 05-27-2005, 11:35 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by ShaneLU97
Will look for you! ;-)
Well, we are actually in that area a few times a year as well. My wifes aunt has a condo on the beach in Bethany. So if YOU ever see a 30 yr old in a blue Murano hjoking back, thats me.

Next time you are inthe area, feel free to stop by for a beer.
Shane
i may take you up on that beer , sometimes there is some available time when visiting the inlaws....

Bethany DE?that is quite a distance away maybe 150 miles or so south of us we are right inthe middle of the state at the coast. did you mean Belmar?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:44 AM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

i may take you up on that beer , sometimes there is some available time when visiting the inlaws....

Bethany DE?that is quite a distance away maybe 150 miles or so south of us we are right inthe middle of the state at the coast. did you mean Belmar?
Yeah, sorry. Not Bethany.
Blanking on the name of the town right now. Not Belmar but at the end of 195, a town or so over from where the Stone Pony is...
It will hit me eventually but blanking right now.....
Bradley Beach!! Thats it....Sorry, took me a minute to remember.
She has a condo on Bradley Beach right on the main strip so we head up there a few times in the summer to hang out.
Actually, we are probably going to be up there for part of the July 4th weekend. Gotta help my brother move on that Sat (also in NJ...Marlton) and then we are heading over there for the rest of the weekend.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:54 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

you are in my cruising area....we do the ocean cruise every sat/sun day morning.....i have one of the only black 77s in the area so if you see it, its probably my car....it could have my son a 17 yr old redheaded kid driving it also....let me know when you come up. bob
Old 05-27-2005, 12:05 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Hello,
I can only offer the simple basics, but will save you a lot of time in the end.

1. Before you start take a digital photo of how everything lines up now.
2. Make a drawing of the top of the distributor that clearly identifies what the firing order of the cylinders are, or, what order the spark plug wires are connected now.
3. After taking off the distributor cap make a notation of which cylinder/spark plug wire the rotor is pointing to. This will help insure that you have put everything back in the firing order in which you took it out.
4. Clearly mark the position or reference of the distributor position before you take it out. This will help insure that the distributor drops back into the same position.
5. Remember that the bottom gear on the distributor shaft is helical and will cause the distributor to rotate as you drop it back in. This reason is why you need to mark the inital distributor position.

kdf
Old 05-27-2005, 12:15 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

kdf has some good tips. The only thing I can add is this:

when you drop the distributor in and the gear rotates the rotor into the correct position, qiuite often it will not completely seat all the way down. This is because the oil pump shaft is not alinged with the bottom of the dist shaft. Rather than beat your head against the wall trying to get the 2 to line up, just make sure the rotor is pointing where it needs to be, then hit the starter quckly a few times jjust enough to slowly turn the shaft until it engages the oil pump shaft and the distributor drops all the way in.

Get notified of new replies

To Going to replace dist, looking for any advice...

Quick Reply: Going to replace dist, looking for any advice...