Sponsored by:

sound system in a 76 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 06:50 PM
jcbass7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound system in a 76 coupe

what kind of sound system can you fit into a 76 coupe. Besides stock speakers is there much room for any subwoofers without taking all of the space away from other purposes?

does anyone have any nice sound systems in their c3's that they have pics of?

thanks

jc
Old 05-27-2005, 06:54 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

I got a custom box i built with 4 pioneer speakers, and 2 12" pioneer subs with a 2000 watt legacy amp sittin in the back of my 79. It takes up all space, except i can fit the t-tops on top of it. No pics yet, but i also have a custom roll bar and racing harnesses too. Sounds great but does take up a lot of room. Might want to try 10's and definately have to have a custom box. I will try to take some pics sometime this week.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:59 PM
jcbass7
Instructor

i think i would be happy with tens, especially since they will be directly behind me. thanks for the advice

jc
Old 05-27-2005, 07:02 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

10's would probably sound great. Just definately plan on having a box made, or building one yourself because i doubt you can find a store bought one to fit in the back of a vette. Of course yours would be a little more open with no roll bar. Mine was real tight cause the two kickers going back came towards the middle at the top. We had to get really creative to make it all fit. I will get some pics sometime this week and get them on here.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:07 PM
jcbass7
Instructor

im definatly going to have to make a custom box, which i should be able to do without too much trouble.. like you said without the rolll bar i should have some more space.

what year did they change the back window from up and down to a long slant.? this may affect some things..
Old 05-27-2005, 07:30 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

78 was the first year for the bubble back window. Your right about that affecting things, it has been soo long since i have seen the flat back window cars that i don't remember how much space there is behind the seats.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:31 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Depends on how much you plan to spend, but one kicker 10" square sub would look great on each side.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:32 PM
jcbass7
Instructor

well i guess we will see.. i dont have the car yet, but am in the process of talking with the owner about a price.. next time i go over ill take a closer look at how much space is available. thanks for the help and i hope to see some pics soon
Old 05-27-2005, 07:33 PM
jcbass7
Instructor

i would spend enought to have a nice sound system, but nothing too expensive. i would rather put the money into the engine and/or interior.. some c4 seats would look real nice in there

ps: i like the idea of two tens if i can fit them.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:36 PM
jcbass7
Instructor

i just checked out your pictures you have posted already. It looks real nice the way you have it set up, i like the seats you have. Do you like the 4 point seat belts? i will most likely drive this car as a daily driver so im not sure how convienent 4 points would be but they definatly give the car a nice look and feel.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:36 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

I'm looking into the c4 seat idea right now. I think total i spent around 700 with a new head unit (200) the two 12's and 4 speakers, plus box building stuff (100), which i went all out and have two plexi glass pieces and so on.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:45 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I made a box for an Elemental E8a that fits in the jack cubby hole. If I remember right it's only .35 ft3 sealed. I bought the sub for that very reason. No other sub manufacturer I listened to made a sub that sounded good and fit in a space anywhere near that small. It sounds excellent. The only worry drawbacks are that the very low frequencies are not quite as good as the larger subs, and that I might pop the sucker someday (that thing has a major excursion though...I have seen it! )

Sorry for the big pic in advance. The forum used to have a pic re-sizer.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:53 PM
jcbass7
Instructor

nice set up, i have a feeling mine will be similiar to that, but i havent gotten to take a good long look at the space i have available yet.. time will tell
Old 05-27-2005, 07:54 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

That looks pretty nice, other than it is exposed to whatever you throw back there. When i built my box, i think each sub had half the internal volume the directions recommened and they don't seem to hit as hard as they should because of it, but hey, still sound good enough to rattle the whole car, which is something on these old cars, you have to be careful about.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:55 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

So you drive your vette to school much? I am sixteen and drive mine every once and a while.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:00 PM
jcbass7
Instructor

well hopefully soon.. im still trying to buy it from the current owner. I talked to him last year about buying it and then i decided to wait and he still has it sitting in his yard. When i gather up some more funds im going over to check it out in more depth to see what it really needs.. Right off the bat im going to have to repair the floor pans and atleast do little things all over the car. I'm just hoping that when i go to look at it agian i wont find any major problems. I'm really hoping to get it soon so i can work on it over the summer and then drive it next year. Should be fun, as long as it isnt a money pit

Did you paint yours yourself? It looks good.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:02 PM
jcbass7
Instructor

I'm sick of all the kids at my school with the ricers and body kits.. Unlike them i want a real car and a c3 isn't something to take lighlty. Also a c3 will hold a lot more value compared to a civic that has 5 grand in exterior cosmetics.

Get notified of new replies

To sound system in a 76 coupe

Old 05-27-2005, 08:03 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Yep, my dad owns an automotive repair shop, and it was the first car either of us has ever painted. Turned out alright. Many flaws up close, but hey goin down the road nobody notices. Plus it got rid of the pink and bare spots on the hood, it was much cheaper than paying somebody, and it will last till i feel like doing it again. (Many years from now, i think)
Old 05-27-2005, 08:04 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Hey i'm there w/ ya all the way. I hate um. If your gonna go fast and in style you got to own a muscle car, preferably a vette, cause comaros and so on weren't met to go "that" fast. I get tired of everybody putting vettes and them in the same category.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:08 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

THese are the wheels i am looking at. I think they would look pretty sweet. http://www.aewheel.com/wheels_detail.cfm?id=71

Quick Reply: sound system in a 76 coupe