C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy first Vette, please help suggest!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 11:38 AM
vettetown
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking to buy first Vette, please help suggest!

Hey guys, I am looking to buy my first vette. Because of my age and insurance purposes since I am not 25 yet I can't afford to get a loan on a vette and have to pay full insurance as it would be really ridiculous. So I have been looking at some C4's and I really like the C3's better and was wanting to know what you guys think about finding a C3 for anywhere from $5k-7,500 is that hard to find? Something that is in decent shape that will run and I can run around town in as I fix it up? I would like to restore it back to original if it already is not in the original state.

What exactly should I be weary of with product years? Engines? I would just like some pointers as I browse for a nice stingray. I have went on the vettehound website, autotrader, cars.com, and this for sale section and I have found a few but was wondering if there was a better place I should be shopping?

Thanks alot and have a great day!
Old 05-28-2005, 12:29 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

Based on what I have found in the last few months, driver cars that have not been half_ _ _ed repaired are hard to come by in the 5-7k range. It seems good quality cars, not perfect but serviceable start at 7k and up. For 4-5K you need to be ready to spend some $$ unless you get lucky. My advise, if you can do some work yourself is to be patient and picky, eventually you will find the right car for you. The most important thing to keep in mind is YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD BASE TO WORK FROM!! you can't take junk and make a driver on a budget. There are exceptions out there so have you money in your hand when they come your way and not in some junker you just had to have. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:40 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me two years to find mine. I finally found it. Paid 4500 for my '79, got it home and found out it had a brand new, factory rebuilt motor in it that the college kids i bought it from didn't know about. I was missing some interior stuff and the paint was crap, but with a good body, and a new motor, i would say that was a pretty good base especially for 4500 dollars. Take your time and it will come. Trust me.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:46 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In your price range you will probably have to decide (unless you get lucky and find a steal) between a good looking, physically attractive one, and one that needs mechanical work. You know what your abilities and limitations are. Just remember it is a small block chevy drivetrain that has been built in the millions and been around for 50 years. Mechanically these cars are not that hard to work on but body parts, trim, paint and interiors can run into major $$.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:01 PM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetown
Hey guys, I am looking to buy my first vette. Because of my age and insurance purposes since I am not 25 yet I can't afford to get a loan on a vette and have to pay full insurance as it would be really ridiculous. So I have been looking at some C4's and I really like the C3's better and was wanting to know what you guys think about finding a C3 for anywhere from $5k-7,500 is that hard to find? Something that is in decent shape that will run and I can run around town in as I fix it up? I would like to restore it back to original if it already is not in the original state.

What exactly should I be weary of with product years? Engines? I would just like some pointers as I browse for a nice stingray. I have went on the vettehound website, autotrader, cars.com, and this for sale section and I have found a few but was wondering if there was a better place I should be shopping?

Thanks alot and have a great day!
I think alot of it depends on you.If you are willing to do the much of the work yourself it may not be a bad idea.In the 5K-7K range your probably going to be doing alot of wrenching on the car.Not a bad base to start with.If you want to go fast eventually, check the smog laws in your state and try to get one that is old enough to be exempt from testing.
I love C3`s but C4`s arnt a bad option either.You could get a good solid 85-86 in the 7K range.They dont have the spetacular looks of the sharks but they do have some advantages, Fuel injection,interior room,handling.
Just throwing out some ideas.Good luck
Old 05-28-2005, 01:11 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

THe C4's might be a little ugly in a way, but from the factory are faster and a lot more modern.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:58 PM
vettetown
Pro

I really appreciate you guys help with your suggestions and comments, it was exactly what I was looking for. I wouldnt mind to get a C4 but I really like the look of the C3 alot better. Do you guys know of a better place to find these cars other then the classifieds I already mentioned?
Old 05-28-2005, 04:18 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vettetown
I wouldnt mind to get a C4 but I really like the look of the C3 alot better. Do you guys know of a better place to find these cars other then the classifieds I already mentioned?
I love the looks of the C3 as well, that's why I didn't sell mine when I bought a C4. Now I have the best of both worlds; one great looking car and one that will run rings around it.

As far as places to look, keep checking this forum or ask around at a local Corvette club. Chances are the members of both take better care of their cars than the average car owner. And don't be afraid to ask a member here or in a club for advice, or even to go look at a car with you.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:35 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Not quite as likely, but local papers usually have a lot of old vettes in them. May not be quite as nice, but definately in the price range. Just call the day the ad comes out because it is almost always gone the next day.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:43 PM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

"Corvette and Chevy Trader" is a good one to buy at your local gas station or wherever.It has cars from all over the country, dealer,private parties anything you want.They even have some tech articles in each isssue.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:14 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corvetteatv7
Not quite as likely, but local papers usually have a lot of old vettes in them. May not be quite as nice, but definately in the price range. Just call the day the ad comes out because it is almost always gone the next day.
I was thinking the same thing. I look at the classified ads everyday and I often see C3s in that price range. I have not seen any of them so I'm not sure of condition, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy first Vette, please help suggest!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy first Vette, please help suggest!