C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Follow along as I attempt a frame off restoration on a 71 (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:18 AM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Follow along as I attempt a frame off restoration on a 71 (Pics)

Hey guys,

A lot of you have seen the post about cancer in the birdcage. If not here you go.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=958895

I originally started this whole thing with changing a fuse. Oh well things got out of control. As I took piece after piece off, I discovered more and more that needed attention. I realized that the band-aids that I was applying could no longer hold back the hemorrhaging that was about to occur. I’ve done bits and pieces here and there like the new suspension, new stereo, and hydro-boost braking system. When I discovered the rust in the birdcage, I new it was time for the frame-off. So here we are. I figure that there are others out there in the same situation so I will do my best to document this entire process. I am by no means an expert when it comes to this. I fix computers for a living but I can handle a wrench to a certain degree. I will be calling on all of you that have already done this for some of your advice as well. This weekend I removed the body from the metal frame to a temporary wooden frame. First question, after I strip the rest of the frame of the lines and suspension, will a high pressure wash clean it up good enough for the POR-15 coating or do I have to take it and get it bead/sand/media blasted? Best place to buy some POR-15?

Here are some pics from this weekend.

Last edited by kortensi; 10-10-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:14 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your frame looks pretty clean and solid. I would say that you probably don't need to sandblast. You may want to remove any remaining paint on your frame. A good steam cleaning to degrease and take off all of the loose dirt. POR-15's selling point is that it will go directly over rust without having to strip it all off. There's a couple of body supply and auto parts stores near me that sell POR-15. You might want to check around in your area. If no luck there's vendors that advertize in Hemming's. Most swap meets almost always have a POR vendor. There's also a less expensive alternative called Chassis Saver that is essentially the same thing. I've had decent results with both brands. If you're top coating with a conventional paint, don't bother with the semi-gloss versions of these paints as I was very disappointed at the inconsistent flattening (Some areas shiny, others more flat).
Old 06-06-2005, 04:42 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Man... all that for trying to change out a fuse????

I know what you mean. It takes me about 5 times as long as I planned for any project. As long as part 1 is off, you might as well take part 2 off to clean it. Which of course means pulling out part 3, 4 and 5. By then you need new bolts and washers, which of course you dont have, and have to go to the store...etc, etc, etc.

I cant imagine doing a frame off restoration like you. Thats something beyond my technical capability.

kdf
Old 06-06-2005, 04:44 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

hey good luck on your project keep us posted
Old 06-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

you have a CRAP LOAD of work ahead of you man!!. Best of luck.

As for where to get POR-15. Go to POR15.com. They ship fast

Keep us updated this should be VERY interesting.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:09 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdf1986
Man... all that for trying to change out a fuse????

I know what you mean. It takes me about 5 times as long as I planned for any project. As long as part 1 is off, you might as well take part 2 off to clean it. Which of course means pulling out part 3, 4 and 5. By then you need new bolts and washers, which of course you dont have, and have to go to the store...etc, etc, etc.

I cant imagine doing a frame off restoration like you. Thats something beyond my technical capability.

kdf

Exactly as you said KDF, as long as part 1 is off you may as well take part 2 off, then .........................
I have seen it happen many times with my boyfriend and his cars....but he doesn't end up putting them ALL back together!
He knows to keep his hands off my vette!

Good luck with your resto dude, looks like you gotta bit of work done over the weekend... congrats
Old 06-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Boy, there are easier ways than that to change a fuse. Lots of work. Been there myself.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:22 PM
JonnHeather
Racer

Powder coat the frame. Just did mine and it was well worth it...
Old 06-13-2005, 11:15 AM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Default new updates

Ok, this weekend I stripped the suspension, steering, gas tank, and fuel, brake, and vacuum lines off the frame. I got the frame outside and pressure washed it with a degreaser. It didn’t do much. It just cleaned off the dust and dirt. I picked up a 40 pound sandblaster from Harbor Freight tools for $80. The first one was DRT out of the box but I had to try to fix it for a couple of hours before taking it back. The second one worked pretty well, but by the time I got going, the Spurs game had started. Here are some new pics. I’m going to order the Por-15 today.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:37 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

you're doing a fine job. you'll love the por-15. BTW spurs suc. had to throw that in being from motown. hopefully the pistons will make it a series now that we go home
Old 06-13-2005, 07:42 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pics! Thanks! I will be doing this in fall of next year, so keep'em coming!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:57 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I'm starting this process, and my wife would like to know if you've replaced the fuse yet <ducking>
Old 06-14-2005, 01:00 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

And, btw, this is a GREAT series!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:54 AM
nd4speed
Racer

Definately keep the pics coming. the corners on my 72 are the same way. very curious as to how you will do the repair.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:00 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Your doing great work. Heres what I learned from others.

While your frame is naked check it out to make sure it is straight. Weld all the seams as per the CHEVY High Performance book. Gusset the weak areas near the steering. Then check the frame again. Then get it powdercoated.

That frame will clean, rigid, true and outlast your grandchildren if you do.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:15 PM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rosslato
you're doing a fine job. you'll love the por-15. BTW spurs suc. had to throw that in being from motown. hopefully the pistons will make it a series now that we go home
Thanks and BTW the Spurs lick, Detroit sucs, there’s a difference. J/K
Old 06-14-2005, 12:20 PM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by billla
I'm starting this process, and my wife would like to know if you've replaced the fuse yet <ducking>

Actually yes, I did, but I would like to change the fuse box from the round glass one to the newer plastic ones. Does anyone know if there is a kit to just update the box without having to change out all the wiring? Just wondering?

Get notified of new replies

To Follow along as I attempt a frame off restoration on a 71 (Pics)

Old 06-14-2005, 04:41 PM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stingry
Your doing great work. Heres what I learned from others.

While your frame is naked check it out to make sure it is straight. Weld all the seams as per the CHEVY High Performance book. Gusset the weak areas near the steering. Then check the frame again. Then get it powdercoated.

That frame will clean, rigid, true and outlast your grandchildren if you do.
That's my plan, except for the powder coating. I can't afford it right now. I am going to use POR-15. Unless I can do it myself, it will have to wait.

I download and printed the book (thanks) and maybe the answer is in there but I will throw this out there anyway.

What type of metal should I use to make the gussets and does it matter which type of welder I use. I know how to use an Oxy and Mig welders, but I have read where others are using a stick. I've never had the opportunity to use one of those.

Last edited by kortensi; 06-17-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:54 AM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kortensi
Thanks and BTW the Spurs lick, Detroit sucs, there’s a difference. J/K
you're still doing a fine job. BTW the spurs lick Detroit Deeecks, there's only a 1 game difference now
Old 06-17-2005, 02:18 AM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

hey kortensi, where are u? what no rebuttal?. game 4 a pistons ROUT. series all square, advantage Pistons. game 5 sunday nite.

Quick Reply: Follow along as I attempt a frame off restoration on a 71 (Pics)