Sponsored by:

Need help on installation of trim rings

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Corvette Charlie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help on installation of trim rings

I must be doing Somthing wrong. I cant seem to get all the clips secure to the rim. any advise?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I here you!! mine are a bitch to put on also. Make sure the clips are not out of wack, I clip the first three then with a flat tip screw driver I kinda press on top of the clip that goes inside the rim and slam my fist on the ring to engage it. Others may have a better tip.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:23 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Are there two configurations for these clips? The 1968 Corvette trim ring configuration had three little "fingers" mounted every 90 degrees around the inside of the ring. The center "finger" fits under the lip of the wheel and the other, outer two fit over the lip of the wheel rim. I think my 1970 came with just steel serrations (a jagged edge flange) that jammed up against the wheel. The 1968 configuration was really the best. (The 1968 rings do not really fit a 1970).

.....Another consideration about the trim rings not fitting. I think that some of the trim rings now being sold are repro's made overseas. And as we all know, if you go to the trouble and expense of making a repro part, it's important that you take special care to make sure IT DOES NOT FIT EXACTLY.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

After looking at mine, I realized that a lot of the clips were collapsed much more than they should be, or were just bent. I straightened them with a flathead screwdriver and needle-nose pliers, they stay put but are much easier to install now.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help on installation of trim rings

Quick Reply: Need help on installation of trim rings