Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Stereo System is in your C3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 11:14 PM
1980 454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have an lcd screen mounted in there c3?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Xakk
Burning Brakes

I finally got some pictures of my setup. Need to tighten up the right-hand site, but all in all I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Old 06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
etech152
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotus76
Pioneer CD head unit

still have room for my t-tops too...

Hey Lotus76...That is a nice set-up!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:40 PM
etech152
Racer

Well, I've got all my speakers, HU unit and almost ready for install! Now I'm looking into Amps and a subwoofer. I will either put an 8" sub in the storage box behing the passenger seat, or place some sort of small sub between the (2) 6X9 boxes in the rear. Where to mount the amp is last thing. I really do not want to mount it behind the drivers seat (need all the leg room there I have). Maybe on the rear wall and move the light to another place as some have done. I'm trying to keep it clean, and neat and not stick out like an eye sore!
Old 07-01-2005, 01:34 AM
etech152
Racer

Originally Posted by Motor City Vette
Sony CDX-F7700 MP3 player with removable face...

Well, I've changed my mind on the Pioneer DEH-3700MP and I've ordered a Sony CDX-F7715X MP3/ATRAC3plusXM-Ready HU ($179 online w/ free shipping) which has a black brushed Aluminum flip-down detachable faceplate with full-motion fluorescent display which I hope will nicely compliment and match the black instrument bezel assembly of the Corvette. (the blue display will compliment the LeMans blue exterior at night as well) Also this HU has excellent reveiws and has a (DSO) Dynamic Soundstage Optimizer which will help sharpen the musical focus of the soundstage and a 7-band equalizer along with BBE MP processing. I've read many good things about this HU. The HU in the above poster's photo is very similiar but mine will be black. I like the "flush" fit also. Of course it comes with all the goodies such as a remote and also adjustable Sub-woofer level outputs (nice) and much more. A much nicer HU over the Pioneer I was going to install. I wanted a HU that would compliment my interior and not "stick-out" and be something that detracts the eye from the original appearance of the 69 Corvette interior. I wanted to combine originality with modern technology. I like the MP3 so that I can play hundreds of songs on (1) single CD (avoiding the need for a CD changer). I'll still use my 6X9" Boxes and the KenWood 6X9" Excelon speakers in rear and 4X6" Kenwood eXcelon speakers in the front lower kicks. Now I just need a nice 8" Sub installed in the storage box behind the passenger and an Amp for both the sub and (4) speakers. I'll install the sub amp in the storage box or under the passenger seat and the main Amp either behind the passenger seat or in the rear (where I perfer) and hide it somehow so that both amps are not seen. I really perfer a sub that would not be installed in the storage box (I need the storage) but unsure of what type sub or where I could install one that would meet my desire of not "sticking-out" (eye sore) and function ok. I'm not looking for "mind-blowing loud sound. Just a good stereo for a great 69 Driver! Any and all commments welcomed as I am gathering my components as my $$ allow. I need to purchase a sub (speaker) and a amp for the sub and a main Amp for the (4) speakers and I'll be ready to have it all professionally installed. By purchasing my own components I have saved ALOT! I've already saved $100 on the HU unit by shopping around and same with my Kenwood Excelon speakers! I got the 4X6" eXcelons for $25 Brand-new (they retail around $100). So I am taking my time and saving the cash.

.... Now my search has turned into finding AMPS for all the speakers and WHERE to mount these amps and sub???

Any and ALL comments Welcomed! Thanks in advance guys! This is a Great Forum!!!

~
Old 07-02-2005, 01:56 PM
etech152
Racer

I'm almost there! (Grin)

Again.... Thanks everyone for the excellent responses to this thread! The photos helped greatly!!!!

I ordered an Alpine MRP-M350 (small sub-woofer mono amp) for installation under the passenger seat (as seen in one of the photos on this thread) and I'm trying to find a good used Elemental Designs E8a 8" sub for the storage box behind the passenger seat. (also seen on a photo in this thread)

Now All that is left for me to order is a good main Amp for the (4) speakers. (and find a nice place to install it)

~
Old 07-02-2005, 09:20 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by etech152
I'm almost there! (Grin)

Again.... Thanks everyone for the excellent responses to this thread! The photos helped greatly!!!!

I ordered an Alpine MRP-M350 (small sub-woofer mono amp) for installation under the passenger seat (as seen in one of the photos on this thread) and I'm trying to find a good used Elemental Designs E8a 8" sub for the storage box behind the passenger seat. (also seen on a photo in this thread)

Now All that is left for me to order is a good main Amp for the (4) speakers. (and find a nice place to install it)

~
Unfortunately, I think Elemental has stopped making the A series altogether, and I didn't see a top shelf 8 incher in their product line. I hope you can find an E8a...it's a neat little sub. Not the best for the low, rumbly bass test CD kind of bass, but great for rock 'n roll bass drums, and some low Led Zeppelin style bass notes. Good choice for a mono amp too. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten two seperate amps for the sub and the full range speakers. Have fun with your new setup!
Old 07-03-2005, 10:27 PM
etech152
Racer

Originally Posted by A C
Unfortunately, I think Elemental has stopped making the A series altogether, and I didn't see a top shelf 8 incher in their product line. I hope you can find an E8a...it's a neat little sub. Not the best for the low, rumbly bass test CD kind of bass, but great for rock 'n roll bass drums, and some low Led Zeppelin style bass notes. Good choice for a mono amp too. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten two seperate amps for the sub and the full range speakers. Have fun with your new setup!
Hi AC, Yes.. Elemental stopped making the E8a, so I'll have to find a good clean used one. Wanna be able to enjoy some good old CCR "Long Cool Woman in a Black dress" (tunes) and be able to have a little bit of bass coming from the E8a. I am going to be running 2 seperate Amps. One for the Sub and one for the four full range speakers.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reciever is a Q-Jet on a GM 350...speakers & amp by Hooker Header Side Pipes. AHHHH....music to my ears.
Eddie
Old 07-04-2005, 12:37 PM
slyone10001
Advanced

OK...........where is everyone getting the Plastic to go around the Radio.......I have a 1971, and I have an extra Brezel that has already been cut.....So I am going to cut the rest of it out and put in a full face Radio. But I need the plate that covers the part I dont cut out.......we need to make it look nice..........
Old 07-06-2005, 05:23 PM
etech152
Racer

Originally Posted by slyone10001
OK...........where is everyone getting the Plastic to go around the Radio.......I have a 1971, and I have an extra Brezel that has already been cut.....So I am going to cut the rest of it out and put in a full face Radio. But I need the plate that covers the part I dont cut out.......we need to make it look nice..........
That plate IS available from several places, just do a search using Google and key words "Corvette Bezel"

I found one place in a few seconds at: http://vettespecialties.com/
Look at "on-line catalog"........then....."C-3 Radio Bezels (Modified & Stock)" ..........you'll see the $65 Bezel Modification Kit you are looking for. this detailed info was written below on it;

...."If your gauge bezel is in good shape, and you are handy with tools, you can purchase the modification kit at greatly reduced cost. It comes in the same heavy gauge steel and wrinkle finish powder coat as the complete bezel. Comes complete with detailed instructions".....

I had a broken bezel so I just ordered the entire bezel for my 69 Corvette with factory A/C to allow any newer DIN-Style Stereo to mount neatly into it. I got mine from "The Direct Source" in Lakeland, FL 1-(866) 683-8777 http://www.the-direct-source.com/ my "direct" cost was $191 (shipping included). It will retail for a little more.

~
Old 07-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put my rear amp for the 2-12s" just next to the hinge for the roadster hatch cover. You can't see it. I think this is the rear wheel hump? Pretty sure used the hinge bracket so it was an easy install.
I put the other 2 amps under the passengers dash. This space also holds a whole slew of passive crossovers so theres plenty of room.
I didn't like the underseat for 3 reasons.
Can't get to it.
could get wet- convertable and that seat location is very low
not great for heat rejection.
Besides its under someones butt and I had three amps even one was too thick.

I also stuffed an electronic crossover in with the battery.
Another nice location is hard to describe. Its in the middle pocket but up against the vertical divide from rear to cockpit. This is wasted space and should hold an amp. Its also right near your woof. Almost the whole width of the car is wasted space against this vertical panel behind the seat... but inside the storage trench.

Eventually would like to get a recording of the Vette at highway speeds for parking lot use THAT should turn heads.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:47 PM
etech152
Racer

Originally Posted by corvettecris
I put a 10" Rockford P2 in my storage area

my Alpine 350 watt sub under the seat

I also put 4'' Alpines in the kicks, and I'm going for 5 1/4 Alpines in the rear pillar molding. I am using an Alpine CDA 9853 head unit, and a Alpine IPOD adapter. I am going to modify the shift plate ash tray/cigarette lighter area to accept my ipod mini, as it fits perfectly into the hole. I am going to make a fiberglass bowl that screws to the bottom of the shift plate where the original one did, but is a little deeper so the little sliding door can be closed over top of the ipod. the plug will be permanantly mounted, so the bowl will function similarly to a desktop cell phone charger. Just set it in there, and it is plugged in. It will be wicked cool, and still very subtle.
Corvettecris or Anyone else.....

Can you answer this question for me? I really like the Alpine MRP-M350 Subwoofer Amplifier installed "under" the seat like shown in the above photo!!! I have already purchased the same amp and I would like to know, Do all the 69 Corvettes have that nice cut-out area under the seats so that I can install the "same" amp you have in the above photo in my 69 Corvette Convertible also???

Also, Do "Both" seats have the cut-out?? If so I am considering purchasing the Alpine MRP-F240 4-Channel Amplifier and installing it under the driver's seat, while the sub will be under the passenger seat (or visa-versa). The Alpine MRP-F240 Amp is only a little tad over 1" wider than the MRP-M350 amp in the above photo, so I believe I can get the 4-channel main amp under the other seat and not have to worry about finding "other" places to install amplifiers. The Alpine amps are under-rated and have a well-known good reputation as being very good sounding amplifiers. (just read the reveiws online for this very small sized amp).

If not... Is there enough room under the dash on the passenger side when removing the Map pocket dash cover for a small 10.5" wide by 9.5" long amp that is 2 3/8" high??
Old 07-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Techno
Drifting

Theres a whole lotta room where chevy didn't install a glove box.
Like I mentioned- 2 rockfords and some pretty sizable passives.
I don't think depth is a problem. You can hold the amp up to the dash as a quick size check. You can probably lay on your back and slide both up there to check for space.

If you want to see the size of those spaces under the seats look under your car and you'll see them, better hold your amp to them for the square sizing.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:26 AM
etech152
Racer

Originally Posted by Techno
Theres a whole lotta room where chevy didn't install a glove box.
Like I mentioned- 2 rockfords and some pretty sizable passives.
I don't think depth is a problem. You can hold the amp up to the dash as a quick size check. You can probably lay on your back and slide both up there to check for space.

If you want to see the size of those spaces under the seats look under your car and you'll see them, better hold your amp to them for the square sizing.

Techno,

Thanks for the info. What model Amplifier did you install (size) in that area and how did you secure the amp there. (any photos?) I was told by someone awhile ago that there was not enough room for an Amp to be installed there ...(where chevy didn't install a glove box.).... While I had my new dash pad replaced a few months ago, it looked like there was plenty of room, but I never did any futher checking because I was not ready at that time for the stereo "project". The local Corvette shop here in my town "closed shop" so there is no chance of me dropping by to see one of the many C3 vettes that they were always working on and had the dash apart so I could see about how much space I would have to install an amp there and How I could secure it.

Like some here on the forum who are looking into a nice Stereo install... it's nice to know what other options I have.... a few local car stereo installers have told me that they only install the amps on my year (69) corvette behind the passenger seat. I did not want to install my amp there so I have been interested in where some of the forum members have installed their amps.

I really like the "under-the-seat" placement. (as mentioned in my prior post). If I decide to go with a more powerful amplifier such as the Alpine MRV-F345, than maybe I can do so by installing a larger amp in "that" area. ...as you say......("where chevy didn't install a glove box.") BTW, I'd do the install myself if it were not for the bad arthritis I have. So presently I am gathering the components and I will have a local professional Car Stereo shop do the install. The shop I have in mind has been around for many years and they have done several C3 Corvette Stereo installs so I feel safe with them however I did not want my amps installed behind the seats so I had to research and locate small amplifiers that could mount under the seats like in the above photo in the prior post. I like that location best of all.

~

Last edited by etech152; 07-11-2005 at 12:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2005, 05:22 PM
etech152
Racer

Ok, Great thread so far guys/gals! ...I thought I'd show the members here what the SONY CDX-F7715X Specialty Series MP3 Stereo will look like installed in the new DIN-Style Bezel for my 69 Corvette Convertible. I hope to have the complete system installed next month. Here are some photos of the radio and bezel:

This is a .jpg photo image of the sleek-looking SONY CDX-F7715X Specialty Series MP3 Stereo 52WX4 Stereo (loaded w/ cool features)

A close-up view of the SONY Stereo installed in the New DIN-Style Bezel - I really like how the "Black-on-Black" Color compliments the bezel.

SONY Stereo installed in DIN-Style Bezel with Remote shown next to radio. The remote is very small as you'll see in one of the close-up photos below.

Close-up view of the control **** of the SONY Stereo installed in the DIN-Style Bezel. The look of the radio does not "stick-out" and gives an upgraded "high-tech" look to the instrument gauge cluster ***'y area.

Close up view of the remote control for the SONY CDX-F7715X Specialty Series MP3 Stereo. This thing is very small and should store easily ontop of the cigarette sled tray and since it is black in color it will not "stick-out" against the black bezel either.

More photos in next post.....
Old 07-14-2005, 05:34 PM
etech152
Racer

Another view of the Stereo installed in the DIN-Style Bezel with the reomte. I think the Black-on-black color gives it an almost factory-like techno look!

A Nice view of the SONY Stereo in the DIN-Style bezel. This Stereo has a blue 3D high-resolution FL display which will compliment my LeMans blue exterior at night. (Kewl)

The SONY Stereo has a sleek "flush" fit in the DIN-Style Bezel which I really like! The front face flips downward to install CD's into by the click of a button and keeps the dust (Convertible) out of the CD tray.

Here are my Speakers for the rear in boxes (kenwood eXcelons), my Alphine sub Amp, my 4x6" kick speakers (Kenwood eXcelons and a pair of regular Kenwoods) I'll use the eXcelons if they will fit, and the Sony Stereo. (Not shown is my Elemental Designs E8a sub and my main amplifier)

Get notified of new replies

To What Stereo System is in your C3?

Old 07-14-2005, 05:53 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

(2) 4'' Boston in the kicks.
(2) 6x9 Boston in the back
(1) 10'' A/D/S Sub in the back.
Eclipse Head unit.
Memphis 600 watt amp hidden behind custom back enclosure. Covered in factory matched carpet. See sig pics.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Techno
Drifting

Disclaimer:::::
I did this before there were puters and the web.
My car has been resting for several years.
I didn't quite finish as the tunes could be heard and the car worked- more than I did on it

4" midrange in astrovent and 6" woofer in door...not sub. kidckers I think but forgot.
Note how bubba (me) forgot to paint the cover and paint far enough on the door!

AMPs.Rockford p40x2 can be seen. P60x2 is behind passives.
60 was too much for woofers so was swapped with the 40. To balance added 2 more tweeters, not seen as they are on the windshield piller. 1 mounted 1 still to mount.
Also the nitemare to install and make 4" adapter, possibly you can make out the not yet hooked up OIL temp gauge- old clock.

p40x2 running 2 -kicker 12" sub woofers only.
AS mentioned the 60 was too much and this one is dialed down some.
Mass of wires near battery is an electronic crossover.
This trench has a great deal of room, couldn't get a decent picture though. The angle of the rear seat area is wasted space in this cargo spot.

Forgot to rotate this one.

10 speakers -4 tweeters, 2 midranges, 2 woofers, 2 subwoofers, 2 kickpanel (not used) 3 amps, passive and electronic crossover with the after market 4x10 operational if wanted (fader operates amped to "stock" system)

You might notice large tags telling me whats what, either label your wires or draw a schematic because I haven't the slightest idea of how the system is wired now.

The dash allows access within a few minutes, the back about the same.
The amps added up seem to be 140 watts but they're not. Computes around 680watts, the worth of decent amps.

Last edited by Techno; 07-14-2005 at 07:27 PM. Reason: an OH
Old 07-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Techno
Drifting

One more thing, if you use an fm modulator or the cassette adapter for CD player, mp3 . Your only going to have what the head unit supplies.

20 htz bass isn't going to come out if the head unit specs don't reproduce it. My cassette don't. Neither does my FM radio.

Quick Reply: What Stereo System is in your C3?