Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OAKLEY THUMP

Old 06-10-2005, 05:41 PM
etech152
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Thread Guys!

Seems like several of us are planning and doing Stereo upgrades to our C3's this summer. This info is very helpful.

I have a pair of Q-Logic QL-69W 6X9" speaker boxes with some poly-fill and a new pair of Kenwood KFC-X698 6X9" eXcelon speakers on order for the rear speaker installs. Still undecided on using a subwoofer. I will run the the rear and maybe all four speakers thru a good clean amp.

Also I have a new pair of Kenwood KFC-4675C 4X6" speakers set aside for my front lower kick panel area in my 69 Convertible.....

....Would you guys recommend the extra effort to cut the area behind the kicks and Install a pair of good 5 1/4" speakers over the 4X6" speakers? If I go with 5 1/4" speakers, will the kick panel cover install "flush" over the speaker and give me a factory look just as good as the factory 4X6" speakers would fit? I also thought about something like a small 1" tweeter that I could install up high in the front area to give me a full stage of audio.

Any Comments guys?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by etech152; 06-10-2005 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 06-10-2005, 07:24 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I am using an Alpine MP3/CD head unit, a Precision Power PCX 5800 amp, one Elemental E8a sub, and Boston Acoustics Pro 4.5 components.

Originally Posted by etech152
Also I have a new pair of Kenwood KFC-4675C 4X6" speakers set aside for my front lower kick panel area in my 69 Convertible.....

....Would you guys recommend the extra effort to cut the area behind the kicks and Install a pair of good 5 1/4" speakers over the 4X6" speakers? If I go with 5 1/4" speakers, will the kick panel cover install "flush" over the speaker and give me a factory look just as good as the factory 4X6" speakers would fit? I also thought about something like a small 1" tweeter that I could install up high in the front area to give me a full stage of audio.

Any Comments guys?

Thanks in Advance!
I would definitely go with the biggest mid's you can fit, although your 6x9's will provide a lot of midrange...only from behind you instead of in front of you. I think 5 1/4's would be great, but I didn't see any of a depth that wouldn't interfere with putting the stock kickpanel back on. I measure 1 3/4 inches of depth from the back of the speaker opening to the face at the kickpanel. That's why I have only 4 inch mids....they fit. Don't worry about staging with the one inch tweeter. Mine are down by my feet and they sound like they are right in front of me. Most component sets come with multiple tweeter mounting options in the kit. Mine had flush, surface, and angle mounts. It's hard to find a place up high to mount the tweeters where they don't stick out like a sore thumb. You can't flush mount them in the A-pillar because the pillar post trim is not thick enough, and they will stick out. If you surface mount them there, they will REALLY stick out. If you can find a spot for them up high though, more power to you.

IF you go with a sub, look for small size and good sound that will fit a small enclosure. I tried a few before I ultimately figured out that you need a very small enclosure (small in the car audio world) to be able to fit the t-tops and back window in the back with the sub. I am happy with my Elemental and it's very powerful for it's size, but it won't win any SPL competitions. See how you like the 6x9's first. Everyone's tastes are different.

Here's a pic of the rear area.

I'll maybe get some pics of the kickpanel area this weekend. Good luck! It's kinda fun when you finally get a system in that you like. Oh yeah...MP3 players are great...MANY more songs per disc...no need to find space for a CD changer.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thread Guys!

Seems like several of us are planning and doing Stereo upgrades to our C3's this summer. This info is very helpful.

I have a pair of Q-Logic QL-69W 6X9" speaker boxes with some poly-fill and a new pair of Kenwood KFC-X698 6X9" eXcelon speakers on order for the rear speaker installs. Still undecided on using a subwoofer. I will run the the rear and maybe all four speakers thru a good clean amp.

Any Comments guys?

Thanks in Advance!

If you looked at my install you'll see that i put 4 1/2" components in the kick pannels. It was a very neat and clean install...and not even too much work.

While the specs for a 4 1/2" driver are very simlar to a 5 1/4" in terms of frequency response, they are not quite loud enough to compete with the SPL you need in a convertable. In the driveway with the car off, they sound amazing! I also have a 10" sub in back.

The amp is a 4x75 soundstream vangough. Bigger speakers, and a slightly more powerfull amp would be ideal.

But as I said before it was more important for it to be invisible. But if you work very hard and find the right depth of driver I bet you could fit a 5 1/4" behind the kick pannel.

There were two reasons I didn't want a full range speaker in the back.
1. I wanted the stereo primarily for long road trips... all the luggage would block the sound.

2. I think the major sound feild shoud come from the front, not the rear. Many award winning sound quality car stereos don't use rear speakers.

I love music... and the music the Big block makes

~Jay
Old 06-11-2005, 12:26 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

all my components are in the dash and the tweets will be in the pillars... two subs in the back.....two amps....

jl audio 10w6v2 for the subs
jl audio 6",4",tweet for the components
chrome ppi 2600 amp for the subs
chrome ppi 6600 for the components
alpine head unit....soon to get rid of to upgrade
2 1 fared capacitor caps

b
Old 06-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

... Also I have a new pair of Kenwood KFC-4675C 4X6" speakers set aside for my front lower kick panel area in my 69 Convertible.....

Any Comments guys?

Thanks in Advance!
I just recently got around to front speakers & did some experiments. Disconnected the dash speakers in the 70s.

Comp 5.25 work very well w/ the tweeters angled up w/ the dash grilles open. While one would normally want the tweeters near the primary front speakers, tests showed the dash speaker location can work very well for tweeters.
I prefer 5.25 comps, so yes to both 5.25 questions. Kenwood eXcelon 5.25 are in mine. Under 2" depth.

Since you have the 4X6 you could try them & see if you like them. If the tweeters can be angled up w/ the dash grilles open, that should help. Tweeters on coaxial can be disconnected & at least on some removed & angled or used in the dash. Comp tweeters can be added to the dash speaker location or put in the end corners top of dash which also can work well though they would be visible.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Ganey,

Were you able to fit the 5.25 behind the kick pannels?

~Jay
Old 06-11-2005, 01:03 PM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a 10" Rockford P2 in my storage area

my Alpine 350 watt sub under the seat

I also put 4'' Alpines in the kicks, and I'm going for 5 1/4 Alpines in the rear pillar molding. I am using an Alpine CDA 9853 head unit, and a Alpine IPOD adapter. I am going to modify the shift plate ash tray/cigarette lighter area to accept my ipod mini, as it fits perfectly into the hole. I am going to make a fiberglass bowl that screws to the bottom of the shift plate where the original one did, but is a little deeper so the little sliding door can be closed over top of the ipod. the plug will be permanantly mounted, so the bowl will function similarly to a desktop cell phone charger. Just set it in there, and it is plugged in. It will be wicked cool, and still very subtle.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:43 PM
fast idle
Pro

i talked to a prize winning installer and he told me that the low sounds should come from the back and the higher pitch sounds shouls come from the front.
i installed 2 sony x plode 10 inch subs and a pair of clarion 6x9's in the back, the subs are run by a pioneer premier 800 watt amp.the 6x9's and the 4x6's in the dash panel are run off the deck(200 watts ).i also plan on putting two mini tweeters in the pillars,run off the amp. this combination gives great sound,not like the boom boom kids, but can really thump out the old ac/dc.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Empatho
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Original AM/FM 8 track.....and this for long road trips...

it works
Old 06-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay M
Ganey,

Were you able to fit the 5.25 behind the kick pannels?

~Jay
Jay

Yes, behind the factory panels.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

none, had a huge stereo and even though it sounded awesome I really never had it on while driving, the exhaust was loud and to hear the stereo I had to crank it up so high that the only result was a splitting headache.

Here's a shot of it (I had a compo set in each kickpanel also, home made kickpanels, very easy w/ mdf, felt & fiberglass):

Old 06-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Motor City Vette
Safety Car

Sony CDX-F7700 MP3 player with removable face...

Old 06-15-2005, 08:24 PM
etech152
Racer

Good Thread Guys!

...Any more C3 owners out there, that have done Stereo upgrades to your C3 Corvette and are happy with it?

Please post your comments. We are all interested in what you are using and are happy with.

~
Old 06-15-2005, 09:11 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a JVC MP3 head unit with Bose 301's in the back, 6 inch JVC in the kick panels and Kickers in the dash, sounds pretty good

Old 06-16-2005, 01:44 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by tonyk72
I picked up this gizmo at Walmart the other day:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3579125

"This handy MP3 FM Modulator turns any USB memory drive (not included) into an MP3 player. It plays all of your audio devices through your car stereo system for convenient listening anywhere. Contains MP3 decoding software and a USB port."

Thanks to SteveG75 for the lead on this one

Look for it in the car audio section...
So what's the clarity like for the FM Modulator? What's the down side?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:33 AM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ive got 2 pioneer 6x9's in a cut out behind each seat. (installed through each of the storage compartments) and ive got 2 pioneer 4x6's under in the dash.

right now im contemplating either putting in a kenwood KRC-2000 tape deck in my old hacked out gauge cluster (was cut bigger so an aftermarket deck could go in) or putting a stock cluster in with the stock radio, but putting a high end radio in the storage compartment.

when i had the system going out side of the car on a real temp set up, it sounded pretty nice.

anything will be better then not haveing a radio in it though like it is now.

Get notified of new replies

To What Stereo System is in your C3?

Old 06-16-2005, 03:11 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kenwood, check webpage for pics
Old 06-16-2005, 04:16 AM
platato
Pro

Location: The Armpit of Illinois Platato says..... "Sometimes your the windshield & sometimes your the bug".
St. Jude Donor '05

Delco ETR! Sounds like $hit but it's stock and the only time its on is when shes being waxed or a judge needs to verify it works.

STW!

Platato

Last edited by platato; 06-16-2005 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:12 AM
1FUNVET
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't go for a big change as I wanted something that looked like it was supposed to be there. I got the custom autosound USA5 it has a tape player and it also has a 10 disk cd changer. I like it. See my signature for pics.

Quick Reply: What Stereo System is in your C3?