C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vanacors Fiberglass vs. Ecklers or others?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:27 PM
singedfur
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vanacors Fiberglass vs. Ecklers or others?

I need a front clip and am wondering who I should get the fiberglass from. I believe Paragon also sells fiberglass. Can anyone share some experience as to who to go with/avoid?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vanacor makes and sells their own, Ecklers and most of the others re-sell Vanacor or ACI units. You'll hear praise and complaints about BOTH of those companies here. Best bet is to find one from a wrecked car (eBay or the forum forsale section), original GM clip is most likely gonna be a better fit than anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if someone responds to this thread with a deal on a used one for you.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:57 PM
singedfur
Instructor

That's interesting. Eckler's catalog sure makes it look like they build their own fiberglass. I've done a quick search in the archives and have come up with about half a dozen mild complaints about Eckler's hood fitment, and as many praises regarding the fitment of Vanacor's pieces.

I haven't heard/seen much about ACI. Does anyone have experience with them? And, out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know what brand fiberglass J&D Corvette or Paragon are selling?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:32 PM
LakotasRose
Race Director

I used both Ecklers and Vanacors for my fiberglass parts and can honestly say that I was/am pleased with what I got.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:35 PM
singedfur
Instructor

LakotasRose: I'm glad to hear you were happy with both.

I called Vanacor's and they said Eckler's sells some Vanacor's fiberglass as well as makes their own.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by singedfur
LakotasRose: I'm glad to hear you were happy with both.

I called Vanacor's and they said Eckler's sells some Vanacor's fiberglass as well as makes their own.
Okay, that's cool to know. My previous answer was based on talking to our Canadian dealer for Corvette America, he told me Vanacor and ACI made parts for everybody. He also sold me on ACI (if I had to go repro). They are "Corvette People", and also do full restorations as well as having produced fiberglass parts for decades. The only Vanacor part I ever bought is a one-piece front spoiler, and my only complaint about it was it seemed a bit "flimsy", so I just laid another layer of glass onto the back of it. It fit perfectly without any problems.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is only 2 places that make correct fiberglass. Sermersheims and corvette image. I am about to post a group purchase for these front ends. Keep an eye peeled.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

I have and will continue to buy from Vanacor. I chuckle when those w/ Eckler's hood badmouth Vanacor when little do they know Ecklers buys from Vanacor.

I have purchased 2 hoods, several 1/4 panels and a wing from Vanacor and have been pleased w/ everything.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:19 PM
singedfur
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your help. At this time I'm leaning toward going with Vanacor, as their prices are great. I just wish they were on the West Coast for shipping purposes!
Old 06-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

The front ends we have in the group purchase are in portland. The stuff you get from the places mentioned above will probably be hand laid glass. This stuff looks really rough in the engine compartment and destroys the value of your car.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

I used vanacor for my Hood, Door skins, and air dam. Fit was fine All I had to do was sand, prime and paint.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:20 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by crf311
I used vanacor for my Hood, Door skins, and air dam. Fit was fine All I had to do was sand, prime and paint.
Wow, that's a sharp Vette. Is that paint a candy? I like the wheels too. You have good taste.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Try Corvette Image.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

With respect Corvetteworx, a nicely done and correct fitting hand-laid hood does not destroy the value of a car. It is half the price of press-molded and is quite suitable for a clean driver. Most of the population would not notice the underhood finish which, by the way, is not rough.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

I ment that the hand laid 1 piece front clips devalue the car. I agree with the hood comment you made. I have had to many nightmares in my shop with these 1 piece units. I sell them but they are not on my recommended list.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:56 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Originally Posted by singedfur
Thanks everyone for your help. At this time I'm leaning toward going with Vanacor, as their prices are great. I just wish they were on the West Coast for shipping purposes!

Vanacor = excellent.

You can save money on shipping by having your part(s) delivered to the closest FedEx or UPS depot and then picking it up at will-call yourself. Saved me about $120, and it was Vanacor's idea that I do that.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by corvetteworx
There is only 2 places that make correct fiberglass. Sermersheims and corvette image.

The stuff you get from the places mentioned above (Vanacor, ACI) will probably be hand laid glass. This stuff looks really rough in the engine compartment and destroys the value of your car.

It may be hard for you guys to trust the knowledge of a female, but believe me, Andrea knows of what she speaks
Over the years I have purchased from ACI, Vanacor, Sermersheim.... and Corvette Image is buy far the best. Most of the Corvette suppliers if not all, mentioned in this post use one or more of these guys as thier supplier. I will not use anything but Press Moulded fiberglass on my cars.

Bullshark

Last edited by Bullshark; 06-18-2005 at 04:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vanacors Fiberglass vs. Ecklers or others?

Old 06-18-2005, 03:32 PM
randy814u
Melting Slicks

The local vette wrecking yard has a full front clip off of a 77. I am going down there to pick up some molding, and will take some pics. and will check on the price and condition It is in salem oregon

Randy
Old 06-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I thank you for your reply. And indeed a hood is one thing but an entire front end is another. If my car were to be damaged (front clip, touch wood) I would certainly insist on press-molded. My argument was for the hood only and I may have misunderstood the intent of the thread.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

Paul that green looks SWEET!!

By the way this is Scott posting on this not andrea. She took over my username and put her picture in it. She always puts her name at the end of her posts. Now when i want to get on the forum people aren't sure who they are talking with. She is only working part time with corvetteworx right now. She has taken a modeling job modeling skimpy swim wear. I'll get some pictures posted

Quick Reply: Vanacors Fiberglass vs. Ecklers or others?