Sponsored by:

Noise in rear of 1979 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Gary B.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in rear of 1979 Corvette

The 1979 corvette that I just bought makes a banging sound with a noticable viberation when I go from reverse to forward. I have been told that it could be the u-joints in the axle. First does any one have any other ideas what it could be and how hard is it to replace the u-joints. Thanks Gary B.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:30 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

When I bought my 79 it made a similar noise. Mine would bang going into reverse. I don't remember if it did it going into gear or not. It was the rear end mounting bushing. You can get them in poly or rubber. Inexpensive and fairly easy to change. Might solve your problem and is typical to be bad on these older cars.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...8E4ANUB9UJ9DC7

P.S. welcome aboard!
Old 06-17-2005, 10:41 PM
1980 454
Racer

your in need of a diff rebuild by the sounds of it.Do you have leaks on the diff seals ? try jacking the car up and see if you have any play moving your back tires top to bottom and check for play at the u/v but i would deffinatly rebuild if something goes and its just about there you dont want to be doing 110 down the highway very unsafe and may cuase some serious damage my 80 did the same thing you are talking about i wasnt the corvette doctor i am now THANKS FORUM! anyways when i pulled my rear appart it was scary grabbing the back right tire top to bottom i could see the rear wheel yoke on the back side of the tire move up and down about a half inch or so and a diff just a corner away from exploding and ive seen pictures of the half shaft comming undone and it literally chews your whole battery box or storage compartment to shight.hope that helps!
Old 06-17-2005, 11:06 PM
GreyGhost
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1980 454
your in need of a diff rebuild by the sounds of it.Do you have leaks on the diff seals ? try jacking the car up and see if you have any play moving your back tires top to bottom and check for play at the u/v but i would deffinatly rebuild if something goes and its just about there you dont want to be doing 110 down the highway very unsafe and may cuase some serious damage my 80 did the same thing you are talking about i wasnt the corvette doctor i am now THANKS FORUM! anyways when i pulled my rear appart it was scary grabbing the back right tire top to bottom i could see the rear wheel yoke on the back side of the tire move up and down about a half inch or so and a diff just a corner away from exploding and ive seen pictures of the half shaft comming undone and it literally chews your whole battery box or storage compartment to shight.hope that helps!

Get notified of new replies

To Noise in rear of 1979 Corvette

Quick Reply: Noise in rear of 1979 Corvette