Sponsored by:

Bloomington swap meet or how to win friends and influence people

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 11:50 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Bloomington swap meet or how to win friends and influence people

Rumor has it that Dana Mecum and David Burroughs have decided (with the help of the state of IL) to require you charge or at least PAY sales tax and on top of that THEY want 20% of your take!! In other words they don`t want the hassle of the swap meet when they are getting $600 to certify your car "Bloomington Gold" and 16% (I think) to sell your car at auction sooooo what better way to not have the headache of a swap meet just rape everyone and eventually they will go away!!.......Greedy bastards!!
...redvetracr
Old 07-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would venture a bet that many folks visit this show for the main purpose of buying that special item at the swap meet. If they basically kill the swap meet that would eventually have a negative impact on admission fees.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

I went to Bloomington Gold on Saturday. Talked to a major Corvette vendor. He said he will not be back because of the lack of traffic in the swapmeet area and how poorly the swapmeet vendors are treated there. Funny thing is I didn't even attend the Mecum auction tent, instead choosing to spend my time in the swapmeet area, the vendor display tents and looking at the vettes parked out on the fairways. Ask a vendor how well they are treated at Corvettes at Carlisle and you will see another reason it is now the premier Corvette event in the country.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
.... have decided (with the help of the state of IL) to require you charge or at least PAY sales tax and on top of that THEY want 20% of your take!!
Believe that they have to pay state sales tax to IL on anything they sell. Most just build that into the prices but some will add it on to the sell. Nothing new there.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:44 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't feel I have the right to criticize an event that I have never attended, but reading about Bloomington Gold has always turned me off from attending, mainly the high cost of attending any of the sessions and particularly the high cost of having a car "certified" compared to the reasonable cost of NCRS judging. But on the other hand, many (most? all?) of the Bloomington judges are also experienced NCRS judges and they don't seem to have a problem with it, so why should I?

The logic seems to be approaching: [exaggeration] Hey, if we can keep charging a $50 entry fee and eliminate the cost of the show by eliminating the show, we will make a lot more money!! [/exaggeration]
Old 07-03-2005, 05:48 PM
baja216
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
I would venture a bet that many folks visit this show for the main purpose of buying that special item at the swap meet. If they basically kill the swap meet that would eventually have a negative impact on admission fees.

I wouldn't waste my time going if there wasn't a swap meet.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I believe the Great State of Pennsylvania tried this same thing with Carlisle vendors and either vendors didn't keep track, lied or just started claiming more expenses than money made so I "think" the state of PA quickly dropped it as soon as it happened-maybe a vendor or someone from PA can elaborate???
Old 07-04-2005, 04:08 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I think (maybe) some of you are missing my point....it`s Mecum & Burroughs that WANT the 20%...
Old 07-04-2005, 10:07 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I think (maybe) some of you are missing my point....it`s Mecum & Burroughs that WANT the 20%...
As a vendor at BG, no one approached me about trying to collect 20% of anything from this year or about any plan to do so in the future.

What is the source of your info?

Don

Get notified of new replies

To Bloomington swap meet or how to win friends and influence people

Quick Reply: Bloomington swap meet or how to win friends and influence people