Sponsored by:

Foot Space for Gas Pedal (80 4 speed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 12:40 AM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foot Space for Gas Pedal (80 4 speed)

Is it just my big feet... or do any of you have issues with the space between your brake and the trans tunnel? Have only one pair of shoes I can drive in or have to go with a sock.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy cow! My feet are size 11 and I have at least two inches clearance on each side. You aren't wearing those clown shoe basketball shoes that aren't laced like little kids, are you??
Old 07-15-2005, 02:18 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I wear my steel toes my left foot will get stuck between the clutch and the heater duct. I have no problems side to side tho. How big are your feet
Old 07-15-2005, 07:19 AM
vetteonr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My size 10's have no trouble at all in my '80 4 speed. Maybe it's not the size, but the width of your foot.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:55 AM
an81shark
Le Mans Master

i've got an auto and gave up trying to drive correctly a long time ago.

right foot = gas
left foot = brake

i sometimes get my foot caught up on teh back of the brake pedal when i drive one footed.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, there might be some aftermarket pedals that are smaller - some of those metal ones with holes in them...
Old 07-15-2005, 10:42 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't suppose my anecdotal experience in a 68 correlates too well with an 80, so I'll just sympathize.

It must suck to be well endowed...
Old 07-15-2005, 10:44 AM
80TexasC3
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stickboy
If I wear my steel toes my left foot will get stuck between the clutch and the heater duct. I have no problems side to side tho. How big are your feet
11 narrow...am much more in to the conservative look..i.e. no big shoes with that "no tieing the lace thing".

I'm going to pull the carpet and see how many layers of jute, heat shield, etc are in there. This is nuts...I have always been told that it is a design issue with the 80. Apparently not.

With all of the issues we have to fix on these cars from time to time...this should be easy..right?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:46 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try fitting three pedals in the passenger side. It IS smaller than the left hand side. Thank goodness I have size 9 feet. Any bigger and I could not drive my Vette. The Dip switch is under the clutch pedal and It is a major problem changing High beams.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:52 AM
80TexasC3
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetteonr
My size 10's have no trouble at all in my '80 4 speed. Maybe it's not the size, but the width of your foot.
By the way... Nice 80! Here are a few of mine..

Old 07-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a pair of size 11 Dr. Martins in my '80 4spd. My right foot rests on the trans tunnel the whole time I'm using the gas pedal. I prefer to wear a pair of sneakers, they are smaller and make it a little easier. If I could find a lighter clutch return spring, I'd be able to drive barefoot. As it is, my clutch is too frickin hard to push for a long period of time without shoes.

Ed,
Do you have any closeups of the speakers you put in the kickpanels? I really want to put a set down there but I just can't figure out where you found the room. Were they custom kicks or were they premolded units?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:21 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran into problems. I solved it with a narrow brake pedal. Actually if you pedals are stock the brake pedal should already be short of the gas side.
I wear size 11 and only use running shoes.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:22 PM
80TexasC3
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ak. Mal
I wear a pair of size 11 Dr. Martins in my '80 4spd. My right foot rests on the trans tunnel the whole time I'm using the gas pedal. I prefer to wear a pair of sneakers, they are smaller and make it a little easier. If I could find a lighter clutch return spring, I'd be able to drive barefoot. As it is, my clutch is too frickin hard to push for a long period of time without shoes.

Ed,
Do you have any closeups of the speakers you put in the kickpanels? I really want to put a set down there but I just can't figure out where you found the room. Were they custom kicks or were they premolded units?

There are a couple of return springs (one on the engine side of the fire wall and one on the clutch fork... could experiment with reducing the weight of these. My spring on the engine side of the firewall came off and I had a noticable difference in pressure until I replaced it.

Here you go on the kick panel speakers... they were custom jobs by ULTIMATE Electronics. Believe the total cost was about $50 for the pair (not including the speakers).

Get notified of new replies

To Foot Space for Gas Pedal (80 4 speed)

Quick Reply: Foot Space for Gas Pedal (80 4 speed)