Sponsored by:

Beware of this scam

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 12:54 PM
walt69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of this scam

I recently put my 69 up for sale on this site and others on the web. Here is a reply from someone saying that they want to purchase my vette. He claims to be from Italy so that was a tip off right there. My replies to his e-mails are in italics

hello,
am ***** ford form italy, well i just brouse through the website and i saw your item for sale and i will like to ask you may be is till for sale and the pictures of it thaks.
***** ford
Yes I still have it. How would you go about the payment and shipping problems??
hello, thanks for the mail, i will like to tell ou that i have my own private shippers who will come fo the pick-up, so i will want you to tell me the price of it, thanks. *****.
Price is $23,500us. Cashiers check only. Must clear my bank before Corvette is released. This should not be a problem for you if you are sincere. I reccomend you or your representitive view and inspect the Corvette. I will make it availiable with one weeks notice to me.
Thank you.

hello,
thanks for the mail, well i will like to tell you that am okay with the price, so i will like to tell you that i will be paying you dirctly into your bank account, so i will need all your bank informations in where the money will be send too, thank for the support and i will wait to read from you soonest thank so much and may God bless you.
You are full of sh#t if you think that will ever happen. I knew you were a scam artist from the beginning. I was just trying to see how long it took you to get there. Do you still want to continue this little game??

I am curious to see if he will write back.
By the way,my 69 is still for sale. I thought I had it sold but the deal fell through. It is under 69 coupe Houston for sale in the c3 classifieds.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind, there is no way anyone can tap into your account. You write a check to someone, what is on the check? Bank name, your name, address, bank routing number, checking account number...with that said, when you write a check, all that is visible to the payee and has your account ever been broken into?

Don't believe? Check with your friendly banker for the skinny.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:14 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think there is no way to tap into your account you are sadly mistaken. The Nigerians have been working this scam for over 20 years and it works. They get your bank routing information on the guise that they are going to wire transfer funds to you. The next thing you know your account is empty. Getting your bank to put the money back in is another story.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:27 PM
DropTopBigBlock
Pro

Originally Posted by GDaina
Keep in mind, there is no way anyone can tap into your account. You write a check to someone, what is on the check? Bank name, your name, address, bank routing number, checking account number...with that said, when you write a check, all that is visible to the payee and has your account ever been broken into?

Sorry, but I prosecute identity theft crimes, and yes, it can be done, and is done right regularly.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:33 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DropTopBigBlock
Sorry, but I prosecute identity theft crimes, and yes, it can be done, and is done right regularly.
My wife has worked at a bank for years. She has seen tons of stupid people that this has happened to.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:36 PM
C3nMe
Pro

Cashier's checks are no better ...there is a good trade going on with "forged" checks. They look real, and three weeks later you get the check back -- no money, no car, no dice.

My bank warned me about such, and basically said they wouldn't even loan me the money unless I was exchanging the funds and the vehicle at the same time because it has happened so often recently.

I must be getting old, as I remember a time when someone's word and a handshake was stronger than any legal document we wrap ourselves in today. Oh, well ..
Old 07-15-2005, 02:41 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All they need is your account number, they can then Draught sp? on said account....the banks do little to stop this type of fraud... this scam is as old as you and me..lol
Old 07-15-2005, 02:51 PM
DropTopBigBlock
Pro

Originally Posted by big_G
All they need is your account number, they can then Draught sp? on said account....the banks do little to stop this type of fraud... this scam is as old as you and me..lol

the banks actually do quite a bit, but it's a very low-investment, low-exposure crime, compared to, say, armed robbery.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:25 PM
stepinup
Instructor

[QUOTE=
I must be getting old, as I remember a time when someone's word and a handshake was stronger than any legal document we wrap ourselves in today. Oh, well .. [/QUOTE]
these people are at the bottom of the gene pool,whats this world coming to,way back in the day when everybody knew everbody in there commuity they would just drag people who were taking advantage of other people out in the street and tune them up,now these people sit behind their cumputer desks and get away with stealing idenitys,ect. they need stiffer laws for these people
Old 07-15-2005, 03:33 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

A friend in Miss had a similar scam tried on him..same deal..."we have our own shipper"...only these guys were trying to get the car....my friend caught on when the car/exchange of money got complicated..
Old 07-15-2005, 04:16 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

The neat thing (for the scammers) is that with the internet they can try the same silly scam on thousands and thousands of sellers. It costs them nothing to send the scam email. And all they have to do is find ONE dimwit, desperate, unwary seller.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:28 PM
C3nMe
Pro

Originally Posted by PRNDL
The neat thing (for the scammers) is that with the internet they can try the same silly scam on thousands and thousands of sellers. It costs them nothing to send the scam email. And all they have to do is find ONE dimwit, desperate, unwary seller.
Based on the old attage that "there's a fool born every minute" and cross that with the internet -- only one conclusion can be reached: birth rates are WAY up!
Old 07-15-2005, 05:03 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C3nMe
Based on the old attage that "there's a fool born every minute" and cross that with the internet -- only one conclusion can be reached: birth rates are WAY up!

...That, and the gene pool could use some more chlorine!!
Old 07-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Chopper Larry
Le Mans Master

The bank can give you the format & content for a wire transfer;
the account & routing num,ber are part of that I think.
We sold our C5 to a guy we never saw, the transfer took place in less than 3 minutes. He sent a shipper to pick the car several days later.
Much nicer than dealing with other methods.
I too was skeptical at first.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:21 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be very wary of a deal like this from off shore. The few laws that protect us within the USA mean NOTHING to those overseas and can't/won't ever be enforced.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:51 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

I've learned to spot these emails REAL quick....

What really bothers me on a lot of these they'll make a reference to God or Christianity in thier emails with maybe a title like "Pastor" in thier name, or "Church of XXXXXX" in the street address, or repeativly say "God Bless" in thier already jumbled up vocabulary...trying to add "credibility" to thier bogus email.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:53 PM
flyC3girl
Racer

I have this posted in the For sale too, but since you guys are talking about it I will put it here to. This is a site I found off of an ebay fraud forum. She sell horses but has the same type of scammers as people selling cars do. She tells you exactly how the scam works and also she scams the scammers. This page is pretty funny and also informative if you want to know about the scam. If you have time scroll down and read some of here scamming the scammer links, they are very funny. My favorites are "Have Faith" and "Clara falls in Love"

http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html
Old 07-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GDaina

Nearly all banks are federally insured thru FDIC. And you are correct that it is very hard for someone to steal your money. But it has happened. What I have done is to open a temporary savings account at my bank just for bank transactions. I keep a minimum balance. My bank only requires $50 for an account with no service charges. Give the buyer that account information. And when the funds arrive, transfer them to your regular accounnt. If you are still uneasy, you can close that temporary acccount soon after you transfer the funds. I do this regularly to ensure safe money transfers.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The bottom line is if someone is paying me its up to them to do the paying. They don't need my bank account to send me E-gold or any of the million ways of sending money.

The one that always cracks me up is "I'll pay cash". Well if I ain't got the money you ain't got the item, go cash the check if you want but....

Get notified of new replies

To Beware of this scam

Quick Reply: Beware of this scam