C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this combination get me near my goal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 02:37 PM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will this combination get me near my goal?

So I have been listening, reading and learning as much as I can and am trying to put together a plan for increasing my engine performance. My goal is to have a streetable vette with enough power to impress. I am thinking in the high 300's at the flywheel.

The engine in my car is a 79 350 replacement target engine, completely stock and I have these components in mind:
Exhaust headers (and potentially new mufflers)
GM Perf Vortec Iron Heads
Edelbrock Vortec Low RIse Intake
Camshaft (Recommendations would be very helpful here).

I know this is a lot but this is my plan over the next year and I think (with the right cam choice) will get me where I would like to be.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Shane
Old 07-22-2005, 02:48 PM
RocketSapp
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaneLU97
So I have been listening, reading and learning as much as I can and am trying to put together a plan for increasing my engine performance. My goal is to have a streetable vette with enough power to impress. I am thinking in the high 300's at the flywheel.

The engine in my car is a 79 350 replacement target engine, completely stock and I have these components in mind:
Exhaust headers (and potentially new mufflers)
GM Perf Vortec Iron Heads
Edelbrock Vortec Low RIse Intake
Camshaft (Recommendations would be very helpful here).

I know this is a lot but this is my plan over the next year and I think (with the right cam choice) will get me where I would like to be.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Shane
Question... If you are replacing so much why would you go with Iron Heads and not Alum? Seems like a good set of ported and polished Alum would not only give you great performance but aslo trim a bunch of weight.

Tim
Old 07-22-2005, 05:04 PM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

Originally Posted by RocketSapp
Question... If you are replacing so much why would you go with Iron Heads and not Alum? Seems like a good set of ported and polished Alum would not only give you great performance but aslo trim a bunch of weight.

Tim
Good point....My original thought was cost but with all that money I might as well add abit ore onthe list. Now time to tell the wife....
;-)

Is tere something other than the vortec aluminum?
Shane
Old 07-22-2005, 05:13 PM
RocketSapp
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaneLU97
Good point....My original thought was cost but with all that money I might as well add abit ore onthe list. Now time to tell the wife....
;-)

Is tere something other than the vortec aluminum?
Shane

Well, the ones that I was looking at were for my L98 on the '89 Vette. I have not looked into any for the C3. (yet??)
Old 07-23-2005, 12:30 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

WHat is the CR around 9:1 for that target motor ? You don't need aluminum heads, if you are on a budget I would get a set of Sportsman II heads or Dart Iron Eagle heads, with a steel shim gasket you can get the copmression up to 10:1, slap in a XE 268, 270H or 282S solid cam, RPM Air Gap intake and Holley 750DP ( #4779) and you will smokin stock C5's

Last edited by MotorHead; 07-23-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:48 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by MotorHead
WHat is the CR around 9:1 for that target motor ? You don't need aluminum heads, if you are on a budget I would get a set of Sportsman II heads or Dart Iron Eagle heads, with a steel shim gasket you can get the copmression up to 10:1, slap in a XE 268, 270H or 282S solid cam, RPM Air Gap intake and Holley 750DP ( #4779) and you will smokin stock C5's
Ask him how he knows this!
Old 07-23-2005, 09:07 AM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

Originally Posted by AGVI
Ask him how he knows this!
Motorhead - How do you knowthis?
Old 07-23-2005, 09:10 AM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Pretty similar to my setup. Dart Iron Eagles, XE262, Edelbrock EPS, 670cfm Holley with 2VR flat tops about 9.7:1CR. My rear is a 355 and I have lots of torque and gets down the road just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Will this combination get me near my goal?

Quick Reply: Will this combination get me near my goal?