Best way to strip a 1981?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Default Best way to strip a 1981?

What do you recommend?
I've stripped lots of early vettes in the past with stripper, it was a lot of work, but turned out fine. I've got a quote from a plastic media blaster (who I guess does good work) for $400. Then I guess there are the guys that use Baking Soda but I don't know who in our area does that. There are about 5 coats of paint and some thick primer on this unit. What would method would you recommend? Thanks in advance

Mark G

P.S. I tried using a razor blade which some people recommend. That also seems tedious given the amount of paint I'm dealing with.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:30 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got finished with a '69 not too long ago. Used 3 techniques. 70% razor blades, 15% da sander 15% scotchbrite disc mounted in drills and die grinder. Once you get the hang of the razor blade, you will be able to make long passes and remove lots of paint in seconds. you will nick the fiberglass, but that is what high build primer is for. If you have a lot of body work under the paint the razor does not work so good, because the paint and primer really binds to that stuff. In areas where there has been previous body work use the da. Use the scotchbrite disc (or the double disc) (about $6-$9 each) for all the concave areas (tail light housing). I will check, but I believe I used 120 grit paper, and didn't use but about half of a role. You could easily complete this project over a weekend if you are willing to put 2 looooong hard days in. I am cheap bast*&^#, and if I can save several hundred dollars I will do it. Besides when I check on soda blasting in St. Louis, and Jackson, MS, I got prices around $1000. If you have money to burn, get it soda blasted, and save yourself the work and headaches.

Quick Reply: Best way to strip a 1981?