C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever felt "burned out" with Corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Rick Church

Default Have you ever felt "burned out" with Corvettes?

Maybe it's the the weather or maybe it's just me but I've suddenly experienced total "Corvette burn out" and I'm not talking tires. I own three nice Corvettes, a 71 red coupe, 96 polo green vert, and an 02 EB ZO6. I've got Corvette collectibles out the wazoo, 75 diecast 1:18 models (all Vettes), and a great three car detached garage all decorated with Corvette stuff. Now after spending thousands of dollars on this hobby, I'm suddenly burn out and rapidly losing interest. I have quit the local Corvette club (burned the heck of that bridge), don't wave anymore, rarely drive my Vettes, and I am very seriously considering putting all three cars on the market.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Rick in Tennessee
Old 07-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only when the Vette is down hard and I'm on my 3rd weekend straight in the garage without a day off. Then I go for a cruise or to the car show and it all makes it worth it.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Empatho
Melting Slicks

not burned out yet I'm just getting started with the Vette
Old 07-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rick Church
I've got Corvette collectibles out the wazoo, 75 diecast 1:18 models (all Vettes), and a great three car detached garage all decorated with Corvette stuff.

You don't have Corvette chairs and all that rot do you?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:03 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Nope, put all the models, Corvette couches,clocks etc in the garage, close the door and don't open it for a month, if you are still not interested I guess it's time to sell. I drive mine every day, had it for 10 years now
Old 07-22-2005, 11:05 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I am not burned out, but felt my edge dissapate a little. I have a 72, 73 and a 86. My garage looks like a Corvette muesuem with all the diecast cars, corvette clock, mugs, posters, books, magazines.....

I decided that less is more, and started putting away some of the stuff and only leaving out a little. It actually looks better that way.

Now I can at least get to my cars to drive them.

kdf
Old 07-22-2005, 11:05 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2 hobbies. This one and Radio controlled aircraft. I left the r/c hobby for almost 13 years. Burnout? maybe...but time away and now I enjoy that hobby all over again...Corvettes are great, but we need to open up to change...at least for a while (but don't get into Fords, please!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:06 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hasn't hit me yet, but then I haven't owned mine very long either. I was getting close to a burndout when my painter screwed up (badly) the first time. These cars are just toys and if you don't have some special sentimental connection to them you're probably going to burn out sometime. Sell them and start on something else.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did 7 years ago but didn't get rid of it. Instead I bought a boat, but thats a whole story in itself.

I think your problem is you have too many Vettes, give me one if it will make you feel better. I promise to give it back in the future
This way when you wished you hadn't got rid of it them you can get them back.

I suggest you get a boat, put the cars on hold for a while and you'll get over this temporary insanity.
Not no fishun boat something that goes fast and gets there fast too. Like an Outboard. An STV, they make them somewhere around you to, at least closer to you than me.
You just need a fresh hobby is all.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:26 PM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use the Corvette for the purpose it was intended, then you wouldn't feel that way. Corvettes were made for having fun and entertaining beautiful women! Car shows--pfuff!

Last edited by PhotoVette1; 07-22-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:28 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

YEP ... I burned out in 1984 when my 2nd child was born. I sold my 70 / 454. The daughter is now 21 and doing well .... as is her 23 yr old brother.

I now have a new and severe case of the vette fever .. sure is fun ! The wife and I love the "empty nest".
Old 07-22-2005, 11:29 PM
matchframe
Pro

Not a burn out, but a stalemate.

I have my Vette torn down as far as it can go..... the stripped frame on one side of the garage, and the body on the other side of the garage. Then..... I lose my job and have not worked since last September. We have just enough income to live on and keep the bills paid, but nothing to put towards building the Vette.

I use the garage for working on other people's cars and several tractors lately. I have become quite the expert on restoring old broken down bush-hogs for people, and even been able to use their tractors from time to time for making some money mowing fields.

Hopefully soon I will have steady income so I can get back to building the Vette..... but for now, I just crank the radio, sip some tea, eat sunflower seeds and sit with the Vette while I surf the internet.

BTW, I would love to own a 71 coupe sometime!

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 07-23-2005, 12:16 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep........burnt out.....and I DON'T EVEN HAVE MY VETTE YET!!!!!!!!

A different sort of 'BURN OUT'....
Well, really its my BF thats burnt out...Im trying to stay excited. He won't let me talk to him about the vette...(that pisses me off!).
Its been a long wait...somewhat difficult being sooo far away and not being able to deal with everything directly - like the sale, organising transport within the states etc.
Then there is the shipping costs, customs, duties, taxes...bloody hell!

and we haven't even seen it yet! and thats what makes it more stressful...having gone through these things and the long wait to get the car - having paid all the money and we cant enjoy it.

but thats all apart of importing. and we knew that before we went through it...just didn't expect to have been waiting this long.

It better be worth it!!!! Im sure it will

Old 07-23-2005, 02:47 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by PhotoVette1
If you use the Corvette for the purpose it was intended, then you wouldn't feel that way. Corvettes were made for having fun and entertaining beautiful women! Car shows--pfuff!
can you adopt me?
Old 07-23-2005, 02:56 AM
RC73
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if I had to work on my 73 all the time, I would get burned out. I bought my vette to enjoy, not to just have something to do. I can see were people buy these project cars and have to spend time and money just to get them to a point to where they can drive them. I really don't like working on my cars because when I have to work on them, it's costing me money. That's why I bought the my 73, it does not need anything, so when I do work on it, it's because I want to, not that I have to. I have to many other things I would rather be doing.

Sure, there are thing that I would like to do to her, maintenance and etc. but you have to do that with anything to keep it running but not every spear moment.

Let us know when you get ready to sell that 71.

Last edited by RC73; 07-23-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:47 AM
fast idle
Pro

believe it or not,i have spent three years getting my vette ready for the road,i've worked so hard and for so long i really don't remember ever being so involved with something,(i have not driven any vette ever yet, except around the yard)
my g.f. is so fed up with car talk she told me she is concidering leaving me if i don't find something we can both talk about instead of the car.
it was this week after three years of silence i finally heard the baby running,she has about 10 or 20 hours work left for it to be completed,and i really don't care if it goes on the road this year or not,i just want it over with.
here i am off today, the children are outside playing and i'm on the computer instead of fixing my fuel pump leak,i'm sick of it and i'm afraid if i put it away for awhile,i will not go back at it.
to make it even more interesting , i have fallen in love with my lady and no longer have need for a "skin" wagon,we talked marriage and we are planning a union.now i will probably sell the vette in order to do some major renovations to her house when we wed.(2 bedrooms,and 2 kids,a boy and a girl)we need to renovate the basement into living space.
all in all i'm not burned out on vettes, i'm burned out trying to get burned out on my vette.
well i now feel terrible, i hope this rant has helped to make you feel better.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:58 AM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmick
Hasn't hit me yet, but then I haven't owned mine very long either. I was getting close to a burndout when my painter screwed up (badly) the first time. These cars are just toys and if you don't have some special sentimental connection to them you're probably going to burn out sometime. Sell them and start on something else.

I have to disagree with you on one point,not just toys

Get notified of new replies

To Have you ever felt "burned out" with Corvettes?

Old 07-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've owned my vette for just over 6 years. I go thru periods where the vette takes a back seat to other events in my life... married with 2 boys. Currently I'm in the middle of the single largest project I've ever taken on with this car... a complete rear suspension rebuild. It has taken over 6 months and I'm close to finishing. I'm not sure if my excitement is because I get to drive the car again or simply because the project is nearly over and I can quit staring at parts all over the place. After this the vette is probably not going to get much of my time until next year. I need to take a break and focus on other things.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:12 AM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

Have only had my Vette for a year but an getting another on Monday, a 2004 ZO6.
Dont think I could EVER get sick of this. If anybody wants to sell their die-cast collection, or anything else send me a pm, please.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:35 AM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I've been getting tempting offers from people wanting to buy my car but when I think about selling, I feel like I would just go out looking for another one. At least with my car I know what I have and after 10 years, I've enjoyed owning it. I guess I'm not done with this hobby just yet.

Quick Reply: Have you ever felt "burned out" with Corvettes?