Sponsored by:

no more overheating at hwy speed :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:03 AM
ruby76
Drifting

Location: Fairview Heights Illinois, near Saint Louis MO, STL C3 Shark
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default no more overheating at hwy speed :)

I took out the non-original oversized radiator, and replaced it with the original radiator - not a redone one, just put back the original. I think the previous owner had the overheating problem and thought bigger radiator is better. Turns out, the seals both circled in RED, and the two thicker/shorter seals just above it in the picture were missing:

I didn't have either of these seals, nor have I ordered them, BUT I fabricated what I guess I would call shrouds out of aluminum sheet metal to be in place of the two shorter/thicker seals that go on either side of the center air intake duct on the 76. There are two bolt holes (and welded on nuts) on each side of the duct. My wife made a template for me out of cardboard and we cut them out of aluminum flashing from HD. I drilled holes and mounted them with bolts to the holes mentioned above. REMEMBER no radiator seals were used, not even on the sides. It actually looks pretty cool with the aluminum look up by the radiator, kind of dressed it up a little.

Went for a test drive last night, used to get to about 220-240 EVERY time I got over 50 mph. I went 70 mph for about 8 miles, usually PLENTY of time to get hot, it never got over 195!!!!!!!!!

I'll post pictures of my little shroud additions after I get home tonight. I think since I know this will work, I may try to re-fabricate them to fit a little better. Im ecstatic now that I don't have to avoid the Interstate any longer. It will make the drive to FunFest a little easier!!!

Last edited by ruby76; 08-11-2005 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:55 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CL
Looks good.
But I wonder if the radiator swap had more effect than the seals. I mean seals AFTER the radiator should only affect fan performance, shouldn't they?

Last edited by 427V8; 08-11-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:10 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 427V8
CL
Looks good.
But I wonder if the radiator swap had more effect than the seals. I mean seals AFTER the radiator should only affect fan performance, shouldn't they?
Think the two thick ones he talked about seal the air on forward side top of rad...both sides of the air intake...I'm missing those...(L-82)
Old 08-11-2005, 11:58 AM
ruby76
Drifting

correct, without them, air simply goes OVER the radiator after going THROUGH the radiator support. And since the radiator is angled in the vette, the air has much less resistance to go over the rad then through. The shroud fits very nice on this correctly sized radiator. Like I said, I'll post pictures tonight when I get home. It's easier to see it than it is to explain it. I've always wondered why on C3 (and maybe some other cars too) the radiator doesn't TOUCH the radiator support. Then there would be no need for seals etc.

My 68 Chevy truck had the radiator basically snug against the radiator support and needed no seals. I dunno.

Rihwoods, Do you have the air cleaner base for the front mounted snorkel? I only have the center radiator air duct and the flexible duct. Am looking for the air cleaner base.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:22 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Ruby Red
I just bought the upper seal kit from doc rebuild at bloomington and it was about $15.00..............LT
Old 08-11-2005, 12:23 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by ruby76
correct, without them, air simply goes OVER the radiator after going THROUGH the radiator support. And since the radiator is angled in the vette, the air has much less resistance to go over the rad then through. The shroud fits very nice on this correctly sized radiator. Like I said, I'll post pictures tonight when I get home. It's easier to see it than it is to explain it. I've always wondered why on C3 (and maybe some other cars too) the radiator doesn't TOUCH the radiator support. Then there would be no need for seals etc.

My 68 Chevy truck had the radiator basically snug against the radiator support and needed no seals. I dunno.

Rihwoods, Do you have the air cleaner base for the front mounted snorkel? I only have the center radiator air duct and the flexible duct. Am looking for the air cleaner base.
I'm using mine.....but I'll check around locally for you...I assume you need the L-82 two snorkel version ? Let me know....
Rich
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 PM
ruby76
Drifting

Here is my pic. Before I put them on, you could see directly through to the backside of the AC condenser.

Went for another test run today, 30 miles at 70 mph, stayed right at 195*

Rihwoods, Its the L48 version You can see the front air duct in the pic. I think it is only the single snorkel design.

I don't even have ANY of the side seals in place
Old 08-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Empatho
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good
Old 08-12-2005, 01:25 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by ruby76
Here is my pic. Before I put them on, you could see directly through to the backside of the AC condenser.

Went for another test run today, 30 miles at 70 mph, stayed right at 195*

Rihwoods, Its the L48 version You can see the front air duct in the pic. I think it is only the single snorkel design.

I don't even have ANY of the side seals in place
Ok..I'll see if I can find one..
(I ordered my top seals today from ZIP) Your fix looks good......Rich

Last edited by rihwoods; 08-12-2005 at 01:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To no more overheating at hwy speed :)

Quick Reply: no more overheating at hwy speed :)