Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this Stingray worth restoring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Trigger9mm
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this Stingray worth restoring?

My dad owned a Stingray (can't recall, but it's either a 73, 74, or 75) convertable with a hard top. It was always show quality and he loved it. It had 'the big engine' in it apparently. I don't know much about vettes... Anyway, I grew up around that car and before he died he did me the favor of crashing it into a wall. He didn't go through insurance, so the title is still clean. I think he was the 2nd owner. He never drove it much, so it couldn't have had that many miles on it. It's currently in the hands of a fiberglass guy who says he can fix it. It's supposedly a pretty rare car for some reason - like they only made 800 or 8000 of them in that particular year or whatever - I figure one of you would know better than me.

Anyway - should I part it out or should I hang on to it and restore it to its former glory and whatnot? Needs some bodywork and paint - all the parts are there - we got some replacement parts off a newer vette and were in the process of restoring, but my father passed away before we could get moving on it. It's my car now, but needs to be put together and painted and all that. Don't know if I can afford it - it would be a struggle at the very least. How much do these go for?
Old 08-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Tall Boy
Burning Brakes

Pics please and more info. If it was in the family I would fix it.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:32 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get your body guy to drop the gas tank for you. Then take a digital photo of the build sheet glued to the tank. Post the picture on this thread. and some picures of the car as it is now. Front, back, both sides, interior, engine bay, underneath - frame in front of the rear wheels. at front suspension and around other body contact points. With the build sheet info and the pictures the forum members can help you make an informed decision about whether the car is worth restoring, is hot rodd material, or should be parted out. Good luck.

Orville
Old 08-12-2005, 02:35 PM
ACECO
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Greetings and welcome to the insanity!

It would be alot easier to determine worth, etc if we had a bit more info to go on. Is it a 73, 4, or 5? If it has a big block 454 engine, then that eliminates a 1975. If your goal is purely economic, then my educated guess (and it's nothing more than that) is that it may very well cost as much if not more than the car is worth to fix if your going to be paying someone else to do the labor. However if your goal is to perserve your dad's memory and his car, then that is priceless and the relative cost vs worth is a moot point.

So see if you can provide a bit more specific info on the car itself and what it needs and I'm sure you will get lots of input/opinions.

Good Luck!

Old 08-12-2005, 02:56 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

A '73 or '74 BB convertible is definately worth restoring - you have to do most of the work yourself or you'll pay a lot more $$$ for labor than for parts.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:58 PM
ruby76
Drifting

Location: Fairview Heights Illinois, near Saint Louis MO, STL C3 Shark
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally think that they are ALL worth restoring Some just need more work/luv than others.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:22 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ruby76
I personally think that they are ALL worth restoring Some just need more work/luv than others.
Well said
Old 08-12-2005, 03:24 PM
73lover
Heel & Toe

I think they are all worth restoring, too. But then again, it's not my dime!
Old 08-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

fix it.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:04 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Trigger9mm
My dad owned a Stingray (can't recall, but it's either a 73, 74, or 75) convertable with a hard top.

Anyway - should I part it out or should I hang on to it and restore it to its former glory and whatnot? Don't know if I can afford it - it would be a struggle at the very least. How much do these go for?
You haven't provided enough info to give a real answer. Corvettes are expensive to repair and maintain and if it would be a struggle as you say it might be a better idea for you to sell or part it out. Find out what year, engine size and aprox cost to repair and I'm sure you'll get some educated answers here. A few pictures wouldn't hurt either.

Good luck with whatever you do with the car.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:05 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your really interested in selling it
Old 08-12-2005, 04:07 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

The fact that your dad owned the car I think its worth restoring... but ofcourse thats a decision you have to make....if your willing to put in the work and some money.....a 73 BB is a pretty sought after vette.

WE NEED PICS!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:23 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Most of the people on this forum are more knowledgable than me, but a '73 or '74 "big motor" convertible is worth quite a bit. I'd say $15K to $20K.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:04 PM
fl_rider
Drifting

Still waiting for pictures.......
Old 08-12-2005, 08:13 PM
pionexxxx
Pro

a 73-75? unless you want it restore because it was your dads etc. pe IMO it's not worth restoring if it's in bad shape, a restoration can cost a lot about 15k for a decent one I mean paint alone will be 3-5k for even a decent paint job then body work etc. just my OP.

now if it were a 68-72 corvertible big block 4sp I would will differently
Old 08-12-2005, 09:02 PM
hyprsprt
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by pionexxxx
a 73-75? unless you want it restore because it was your dads etc. pe IMO it's not worth restoring if it's in bad shape, a restoration can cost a lot about 15k for a decent one I mean paint alone will be 3-5k for even a decent paint job then body work etc. just my OP.

now if it were a 68-72 corvertible big block 4sp I would will differently
to restor the car to sale it is not worh it it will cost you (paint,
glass,interior,motor trans if needed plus susp.)at least 15k if u do all the work if someone else is doing it add another 7-10k the car after resto will be wrth around 20-22k, now to restor it becouse it was your father's for sure its worth it, but its up to u my 0.2
Old 08-12-2005, 09:30 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy enough to identify. As said above, if it's a 454, it's a 73 or 74. If it has chrome rear bumper, it's a 73. If it has a two piece rubber rear bumper (has a seam down the middle of the bumper cover), it's a 74. If it has a chrome rear bumper, and a chrome front, it's 72 or earlier.

As said, they are ALL worth restoring. It's just what's it worth to you? If you're not willing to put the money in it, somebody else will. Personally, some people would say I'm crazy for dumping money in my 79, but it still turns heads, I get compliments on it all the time, I love it and never plan on selling it. So its "worth" is only how much I'm willing to put in to it. Besides, my 19 year old niece has dibs on it when I kick the bucket. So I'll NEVER see any of the money back. But I know when I die, it'll to go to somebody I love, loves me, and LOVES my car. It'll be a family heirloom. Maybe that's what yours is.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this Stingray worth restoring?

Old 08-12-2005, 10:02 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 79MakoL82
Easy enough to identify. As said above, if it's a 454, it's a 73 or 74. If it has chrome rear bumper, it's a 73. If it has a two piece rubber rear bumper (has a seam down the middle of the bumper cover), it's a 74. If it has a chrome rear bumper, and a chrome front, it's 72 or earlier.

As said, they are ALL worth restoring. It's just what's it worth to you? If you're not willing to put the money in it, somebody else will. Personally, some people would say I'm crazy for dumping money in my 79, but it still turns heads, I get compliments on it all the time, I love it and never plan on selling it. So its "worth" is only how much I'm willing to put in to it. Besides, my 19 year old niece has dibs on it when I kick the bucket. So I'll NEVER see any of the money back. But I know when I die, it'll to go to somebody I love, loves me, and LOVES my car. It'll be a family heirloom. Maybe that's what yours is.
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Fix it.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:49 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

FIX IT..... It is not the worth... it has more to do with history and family. If your dad was cool enough to have a vette I would spend twice what it is worth to have it in my garage. If you sell you will regret it the remainder of your days on earth. Twist the key and it is instant memory lane. Store it till you have the bucks and repair it properly. Goooood luck ! jr

Quick Reply: Is this Stingray worth restoring?