Sponsored by:

Fixed my headlights [party]

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fixed my headlights [party]

Just had to share my small victory! Ever since I overhauled my engine, my drivers side headlamp would not open.
Well I have been putting this job off for weeks because everyone says how hard it can be to locate the leak. I printed out the diagram showing the routes for all the hoses and set to work. I was convinced it would be near the intake, since that is where all my work had been with the heads replacement and rebuild.
I eventually found that all that had happened was a hose had come off the actuator underneath and the hose was just sitting there unattached. It must of happened when I was taking the hood off
So all in all I was pleased to find that it was an easy fix.

Just had to share my success
The following users liked this post:
JBrooke825 (05-07-2023)
Old 08-17-2005, 10:02 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Congrats!!!

I love those little moments of victory. Without those the hours of cursing would result in a lot of C3's for sale!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah! I love those fixes.
Here's one of mine.....
My driver side (under dash) interior light was not working. I drove to NAPA, got a new bulb. When I got back home, I opened the driver door and to my amazement, the light came on.....It was only loose...Must have loosened due to my lumpy cam and chambered exhaust
Old 08-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish thats all it would take to fix my headlight vac. problems.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottys78
Same here.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Dawnsvette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did you find the diagram

Hi, I read you post about your headlight problem, could you tell me where you printed off the diagram. Maybe this can help me out.
Mine will try to come up but won't.
Thanks
Dawn
Old 08-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dawnsvette
Hi, I read you post about your headlight problem, could you tell me where you printed off the diagram. Maybe this can help me out.
Mine will try to come up but won't.
Thanks
Dawn
Dawn,

I used the troubleshooting guide from this site, most helpful that I found.

http://www.corvette-101.com/

Old 08-19-2005, 09:17 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scottys78
Me too! and my wiper door!

My passenger side headlight goes up ok...the driver side headlight goes up just a little bit and then stops....so Im thinking maybe just the seal on the actuator.

Im going to order a vacuum hose kit and coloured diagram next week...and however long that takes to get to Australia I will then start troubleshooting my vacuum system!

Congrats on fixing your headlights
Old 08-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by cosmicvette
Me too! and my wiper door!

My passenger side headlight goes up ok...the driver side headlight goes up just a little bit and then stops....so Im thinking maybe just the seal on the actuator.

Im going to order a vacuum hose kit and coloured diagram next week...and however long that takes to get to Australia I will then start troubleshooting my vacuum system!

Congrats on fixing your headlights
Since you are going to all the trouble and going to have to wait that long, might as well have them drop the actuator seals in the box also. It would be a shame to not have them work after going through all of the hose replacement and find them to still not work. Of course if you have a vacuum pump, like a mighty vac, you can find out if the seals are good or or not on your actuators.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:43 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice one Paul
I took all my headlights completely apart for painting & powdercoating (yep, even after reading what a minefield it was!) & once you've got them in bits & can see how they work, it looks like a really simple system. What I found that causes one light to be slower than another (apart from incorrect adjustment & vacuum leaks) can be worn bushes and, in my case, a cracked frame. There's a large frame made out of monkey-metal that supports the entire assembly & it was flexing before starting to open/close the light. Being monkey-metal it's very easily broken & a lot harder to diagnose. What was happening was the actuator was trying to open/close the light but the movement was taken up by the frame flexing. Eventually the frame couldn't flex anymore, so the movement finally opened/closed the light. A giveaway was that the sound of the light locking into the open position was different to the other light. Just a heads up for anybody spending ages chasing suspected vacuum problems that don't actually exist (as I did!).

Paul, are you going to the Cranleigh show on Sunday? There's a concerted effort to flood the place with Vettes, so it'd be good to get a few nice C3's there to balance out the usual horde of C5's & ZR1's
Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by UKPaul
Nice one Paul
I took all my headlights completely apart for painting & powdercoating (yep, even after reading what a minefield it was!) & once you've got them in bits & can see how they work, it looks like a really simple system. What I found that causes one light to be slower than another (apart from incorrect adjustment & vacuum leaks) can be worn bushes and, in my case, a cracked frame. There's a large frame made out of monkey-metal that supports the entire assembly & it was flexing before starting to open/close the light. Being monkey-metal it's very easily broken & a lot harder to diagnose. What was happening was the actuator was trying to open/close the light but the movement was taken up by the frame flexing. Eventually the frame couldn't flex anymore, so the movement finally opened/closed the light. A giveaway was that the sound of the light locking into the open position was different to the other light. Just a heads up for anybody spending ages chasing suspected vacuum problems that don't actually exist (as I did!).

Paul, are you going to the Cranleigh show on Sunday? There's a concerted effort to flood the place with Vettes, so it'd be good to get a few nice C3's there to balance out the usual horde of C5's & ZR1's

Paul, can you pm with the details of that show, times, place etc. I will see if I can make it

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed my headlights [party]

Quick Reply: Fixed my headlights [party]