Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My secondaries were not opening! (Qjet)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:08 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default My secondaries were not opening! (Qjet)

I had a crappy time at the track last time. Car seemed to drive fine but I just wasn't getting the times I normally get. Here is the problem with testing at the track: You are going all out, things happen too fast, you don't have the luxury of hitting it from a cruise, easing off, you know really testing to get a feel for what's going on. But most important, with my helmet on I can't even hear the engine.

OK, so a couple of days later I go for a drive and with much anticipation pull onto a long freeway on ramp, and I hit it....... and (almost) nothing!! Hey, are my secondaries not opening? I have a fairly new Edelbrock Qjet replacement carb #1901 and it runs great. So today I take a look at the carb, and I can't press the secondary flapdoodles down (you know, whatever those things are called). So I look all over the carb for that secondary lockout thing and I can't find any secondary lockout thing, and I play around with the flapdoodles some more, and press and press and finally get them to go past the obstruction!! And they don't even come back up because a little itty bitty tiny screwlike thing is in the way!! It's not a screw, it's a pin, so I tap tap tap it back in and I think I am now good to go!

Here is the carb after I freed up the secondary flaps but the pin is still in the way:

Here is a close up of the offending pin: With the flap laying on top of this, the secondaries would not open!

Can't wait to go out for a test drive.... vroooooom vroooooom!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

The flapadoodles? That is a new one. The secondaries were probably opening you were just not opening the air valve. No air was entering the carb. Fix the flapadoodles and you should be burning rubber again.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:12 PM
tonyd21266
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i agee

if it is the pin no question

dremel it out of the way

ive had this happen on a lot of q rebuilds no big deal

also make sure the secondary vaccume rig is working
Old 08-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think youse guys are missing something baaad here. If this pin falls into the engine there goes the engine. I would replace it with a new one or glue it in or something to make it piston proof.

Get notified of new replies

To My secondaries were not opening! (Qjet)

Quick Reply: My secondaries were not opening! (Qjet)