Sponsored by:

Man i'm having zero luck with vendors

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Man i'm having zero luck with vendors

My power steering leak problems just won't go away! Read below e-mails I think it explains the problems clearly.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 7:09 PM
To: 'tech@vbandp.com'
Subject: attn: Vette Brakes

I just received the rebuilt;
1. Power steering control valve
2. Power steering cylinder

My order number is xxxxxxxxxxxx

Okay the problems. One when the parts came in they were wrapped in plastic, when removing the plastic the paint came off with it. Some of the paint had actually liquefied and dripped out of the box (you’ll see this when you get the box of cores) So instead of being able to install the parts the first 2 days was scrubbing off the bubbled paint and re-painting/ drying time. Call me crazy but it seems llogical to paint power steering products with paint that withstands power steering fluid. I used gloss black Rustoliem and it will hold up to the PS fluid. Two when I installed the cylinder it leaked out around the extend hose. So I tried retightening/ Teflon tape etc. and then went and ordered a new hose for $24. Well the new hose also leaks same way. So I wasted $24 dollars If you look into the hole where the extend hose goes into the cylinder you see the sealing connection is not smooth, this is the problem. Which brings me to my question where your website reads “these parts have been pressure tested, which explains the power steering fluid and molten paint on the parts, however it couldn’t have passed any leak inspection due to the scratched sealing surface.
Now I do understand chances are you outsource to a third party to rebuild and pressure test these units so this e-mail is not a slight on you but something I request you pass onto them.

I also request another rebuilt PS cylinder be sent to me. The control valve is holding up so far and I commend you on that. If you need extra money and will refund me when I take off the leaking cylinder call me on the above number or my CC number. I want to keep my car on the road until the new (rebuilt) part arrives.

R/

David Oakey
(xxx) xxx-xxxx

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 7:17 PM
To: 'mail@corvettecentral.com'
Subject: INVOICE NUMBER xxxxxxxxx-xxxx

I just received part number 562302 which purportedly is the extend hose leaving the power steering control valve to the power steering cylinder. Well the pre-existing hoses on the car are GM originals and both are identical in shape and size. Your catalog shows 2 part numbers 562302 and 562303 and I ordered based on your diagram. Well it turns out regardless of which ever I place the hose, i.e. in return or extend it is 2 inches too long. I have it on the car now but it hangs way down and I had to bend the rubber section to allow it to fit (it’s too long) I’m not sure what that part fits but it is not for a 68-82 Corvette. Please advise me of further actions to correct this issue.

My customer number is xxxxxxxxxx

R/

David Oakey
(xxx) xxx-xxxx
Old 08-17-2005, 10:25 PM
kona
Drifting

Hope it's not contagious. Seriously call VBP they are stand up folks who will make it right.

Kona
Old 08-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

I will tommorow. Just chapes my hide to spend $300 plus for bogus parts.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:33 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Have you checked and compared parts/prices/pics from different vendor websites? I like Paragon because they will often give you a GM part# if one exists. They are also fairly diligent about "correctness" They include the following note:

"-Note: All P/S hoses exhibit different style and crimp than original."

Not sure if the term "different style" means 2" longer.

My power steering leaked and leaked until I stopped overfilling the reservoir! (It also helped to replace a cracked hose)
Old 08-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Called VDB. edited out.................................I was incorrect

Last edited by Cali,68,L-79; 08-18-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

As far as I know they have always done them. Maybe they started outsourcing them. There was 3 people that rebuilt valves and cylinders before but I guess were down to 2 now.

BEWARE there is a new company out of CA that is making new valves but they are junk. Multiple problems w/them.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

To all;

Okay I'll eat my words. Patty from VDB called me back after reading this and cleared up a couple things. one they DO make their own parts and this was probably an unfortunate oversite on the QA of the parts. She is sending me another cylinder tommorow and hopefully this will resolve this issue.

Thank you Patty for your assist.

David
Old 08-18-2005, 11:48 PM
1978SA
Instructor

I always wonder why folks bitch and moan before they hear from the source?

As I glanced through your post, looks like you started complaining within 24 hours of your frst email...

Did you think to call first?

I see you retracted some statemants, but geez, if you have the time to boot the computer up and complain, you have the time to drop a dime and see what's up.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:58 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Yep got me guilty there. I won't even try to rebuttle that.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:26 AM
1978SA
Instructor

It's cool, maybe this thread will serve another...or die a quick death...

Get notified of new replies

To Man i'm having zero luck with vendors

Quick Reply: Man i'm having zero luck with vendors