C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with Stinger style hoods on C3's ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 03:19 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default For those with Stinger style hoods on C3's ....

I want to put one on my 1980.

1st. Where did you get yours? How was the quality and how was it shipped / arrived.
2nd. I know the front area is not open, how hard would it be to make it open?
3rd. At the rear of the hood, is the area under the scoop open or not? I may need to mount some gages (fuel pressure and some others) and I want to hide them under the scoop. Is this possible.

4th. Pictures please. From inside (drivers view) underside of the hood, outside views as well.

THANKS MUCH !!
Old 08-18-2005, 07:07 AM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out my pics, I think there are some shots of the underside of the hood. I got mine from Vanacore, the fit is good, I picked mine up as I live about an hour and a half from their shop so I can't help with the shipping info.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 AM
TTop Tony
Drifting

here is an old shot that shows what it looks like underneath. I hope to enclose it someday and build an air chamber (or try to retrofit the l88 air chamber). I got mine from ecklers. It had one air pocket that the painters could not get out but other then that it was perfect. As you can see there is a gap where the hood is higher then the front of the car but that is the car sagging and not the hood's fault.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:27 PM
StingrayDK
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My 69 came with a stinger type hood. I dont know if its a converted sb hood from the `70s or an aftermarket.
Its open both front and rear and adds about 2" clearance.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:36 PM
70inSBIn
Instructor

Stingray DK. Thats cool. You can see the original 68-72 pointed hump in the center, which is wider and flatter than the current stinger style hoods. I wonder if somebody was crafty with a C2 glass scoop and bonded it to the stock hood, or if this is an old school aftermarket hood that may not be available anymore. Neat.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

B, i don't know if that hood would look right on your car or not.. Yours looked so kickazz at CI, i don't know if i would change it or not!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:19 PM
StingrayDK
Pro

Originally Posted by 70inSBIn
Stingray DK. Thats cool. You can see the original 68-72 pointed hump in the center, which is wider and flatter than the current stinger style hoods. I wonder if somebody was crafty with a C2 glass scoop and bonded it to the stock hood, or if this is an old school aftermarket hood that may not be available anymore. Neat.
Exactly,

Im thinking its aftermarket since its long and eliminate the wiperdoor.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:01 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Originally Posted by Aflac
B, i don't know if that hood would look right on your car or not.. Yours looked so kickazz at CI, i don't know if i would change it or not!
well, here is the story. I have ALWAYS liked the '67 stinger hood. Can't afford a C2, so I won't get one that way.

About 1 year ago small bubbles started showing up in my hood. Right below them is the a/c compressor. It looks like the a/c compressor is leaking oil and that oil was flung up on the bottom side of the hood. This oil has seeped up through the fibers and is ruining the paint from the backside. The hood is now 100% trash, this can not be repaired unless that entire area is cut out and replaced.

I can get 1980 style hoods cheaper that's for sure. I may just get a used 1980 hood and put a stinger scoop on it. Seeing StingRayDK's I may just do that.

I want more clearance and to get an open air scoop. I also need a place to hide about 2 - 4 gages that I can not put into the passenger area. A stinger or L88 hood would do both. I'm just not a fan of the L88 hoods.

StingRayDK -- any chance of getting a lot more pictures? From inside, back, front and rear ???? Please ????
Old 08-18-2005, 07:16 PM
StingrayDK
Pro

Originally Posted by BSeery
StingRayDK -- any chance of getting a lot more pictures? From inside, back, front and rear ???? Please ????
No problem!

Im at work in Greenland at the moment and dont have any other pics on my laptop. If you can wait a few weeks ill be happy to help
Old 08-18-2005, 08:49 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Originally Posted by StingrayDK
No problem!

Im at work in Greenland at the moment and dont have any other pics on my laptop. If you can wait a few weeks ill be happy to help

yes, I can wait. You can email them to me at BSeery@***.net or post them here.

Thanks !!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Please be careful when ordering a stinger to graft onto your hood. There are a lot of 'cheap' clones that are smaller and would look like a ricer on your car. Make sure of the deminsions before payiing for it. .02

Get notified of new replies

To For those with Stinger style hoods on C3's ....

Quick Reply: For those with Stinger style hoods on C3's ....