Sponsored by:

Need help with PCV hose on '77

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 03:37 AM
Docmac
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with PCV hose on '77

My question: Does the PCV hose need to be connected to a vacuum source? If so, to where? either the front or rear manifold vacuum ports? (I have a Holley 750 vacuum secondary (4160). Right now I have my tranny vacuum connected to the front port, my distributor connected to the port on the right side (near the top just behind the front fuel bowl), and the power brake booster connected to the rear port. I've thought that the PCV is connected to the front port, but I'm a little confused about something. If indeed the PCV is connected to a vacuum source, for example if I was to "T" it in with the tranny vacuum at the front port, wouldn't there be a major vacuum drop since there's no real vacuum pull from under the valve cover? Wouldn't that affect the vacuum for the distributor, or whatever is connected with it there? Need some insight on this, and probably some advice on whether or not the distributor is connected to the right port - should it be connected to the front or rear port instead of the one on the side? Sorry for all the questions, but really kind of stuck here.
Thanks, Marc.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:28 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

mine connects to the front lower port on my Q-jet. it's a vent. i dont think it needs vacuum.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:34 AM
fl_rider
Drifting

Default Yes it needs vacuum!!

With a quadrajet the big port on the front is full manifold vacuum.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fl_rider
With a quadrajet the big port on the front is full manifold vacuum.
Yup, PCV needs vacuum. What I would do is leave the dist vac where it is, use the front for PCV, tee the tranny one into the back one with the power brake vac line. As long as your brake booster doesn't leak it doesn't pull vac all the time (it works like a reservoir with a one-way valve) so you won't be leeching vacuum away from the tranny vacuum.

I don't have a Holley though, so maybe someone else knows how many free vac sources there are on it.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:07 PM
steves_77vette
Racer

Mt tranny feeds into a 3-way tee for manifold vaccuum, not carb ported vaccuum. I think this is how it is stock as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with PCV hose on '77

Quick Reply: Need help with PCV hose on '77