C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove into HELL (New Orleans) last night...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Drove into HELL (New Orleans) last night...

Last edited by Corey_68; 03-19-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:02 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we returned to the pad to unload everything
it dawned on me that I need new home furnishings
so once again we filled the van until it was full
since that day my living room's been much more comfortable

Sorry, I have been desensitized to it all.

Last edited by flood; 09-02-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:03 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn....shoot all the looters..I wish you well...
Old 09-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by big_G
Damn....shoot all the looters..I wish you well...
a couple of these looters getting "pegged" on live tv would curtail it tremendously...opportunist bastards
Old 09-02-2005, 12:13 PM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It really does sound worse than a third world country. Hard to imagine such a place in the United States in 2005.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:37 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear that you got out safe. Stuff can be replaced. Other than that... I'm speechless.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:48 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

It all sucks, it just F***ING SUCKS
Old 09-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you and your family is OK, sucks to lose you stuff but better than your life.

It reminds of a buddy of mine who drove a beer truck in Detroit, it broke down one day and he went a block to use a payphone. He said within 5 minutes someone ran up with a crowbar and pried open a door and the then the rush was one. He said it was like ants on a peice of food, even saw some guy pull up in a Caddy with his family and loaded up his trunk. After 20 minutes a helicopter followed by cop cars came screaming up and the people scattered like roaches.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Craq
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if you know it, but this post was read on a nationally syndicated talk radio show on Wednesday night. The Hugh Hewitt Show.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:38 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

People are like wild animals down there. The National Gaurd should have been deployed immediately, not days later. They should have had a few hundred of them in the city right after the hurricane and thousands more the National Gaurd there in less than 24 hours. It's almost as though they didn't care. Surely, someone has to be held accountable for the lack of civil protection. There may be no way to stop all the looting, killing, and raping going on down there; however, its way out of control. I'd say shoot the SOB's who are stealing anything other than food, drinks, and other basic human necessities. Instead of helping one another in this horrific situation its every person for themself. Let me back up. There have been a lot of good deeds going on. Just watch the news and they show some of it. The news channels seem to want a hide the worst things going on.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:53 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Have friend in Moss Point,Miss.....he calls occasionaly....nuff said...
Old 09-02-2005, 01:54 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the problems can be attributed to the local politicians, the mayor and the Govenor. The same people who are causing all the trouble voted these politicians in. They are getting what they voted for. The crime in New Orleans has been terrible for decades. The founding families, (Irish and other white European folks) have long left. I feel sorry for the honest individuals, but I have no pity for the perpetual welfare families or the criminals.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Craig Brumley
I don't know if you know it, but this post was read on a nationally syndicated talk radio show on Wednesday night. The Hugh Hewitt Show.

Wow, that's crazy.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Here is the update from Yesterday....

Well I attempted fate again and went back to the city. Didn't want to start a flame fest so I figured I'd post afterward. Most of you will not/do not understand WHY I went back but I think some will. This time we went in broad daylight and initially there was to be five but ended up three. We were armed w/ two pistols each(plus 2 back up) and each having 12-gague shot guns (Police/Military spec Remington 870). Once again we were force through 5 checkpoints had to show ID. At the last checkpoint the State Trooper asked "Are you carrying" to which we said yes and he then replied "Good, you may have to use them."

Overall the Westbank of the city is pretty dry, surprisingly. We exited at Tchoupitoulas and it is right near the Superdome w/people everywhere. The road was clear and we didn't stop. First we went to my buddy's house on Magazine which was dry as a bone, no water what so ever. My bro and I set up a perimeter while Lance went inside to get his stuff. Heilo's were everywhere, Coast Guard, local oil company, Huey's and even Blackhawks. I'm outside and these two people pass pushing a shopping car and the women is staring at the gun. She said "Damn dat's a big 'ole gun, I just smiled and shook my head "yes". A truck full of National Guards pass by and when they saw us they cheered "Who Hoo" I'm assuming b/c the guns. What was frightening was they they didn't have any guns! We finished there and went on to my house. I was pretty pumped because Lance's house was dry and only a couple blocks down from mmine on the other side of St. Charles. Well my joy shortly faided when every street was covered with water and 200yr old oak branches. We turn the corner and see one of the famous historic New Orleans homes, I mean MANSION to be inhabited by a family who OBVIOUSLY did not live there. I mean this is easily a $5-6 million dollar home and these people are sitting on the porch, kids playing football in the yard, clothes strung out on the lawn. I just couldn't believe it.

The closest I could get to the house without submerging the truck was 5 blocks,great. Water was up to my waist and I'm 5'10. At one point we had o "tightrope walk" across a cemetery wall because the water was so deep it was easily over our heads. As we are walking we are passing families sitting on the porch just watching us, I felt sorry for them. We finally make it to the house and there is about 4ft of water in front which is good because the house is 6ft off the ground. I was happy the house was dry and not looted. We check the house and it's safe and we grab the bare essential, clothes, pictures, documents. I had to leave my new TV, computer, stereo, etc. Well I had about 50lbs in each hand which I soon learned was too much. I'm not weak by any means but carrying 80-100lbs that many blocksabove water was WORK!. Sadly we couldn't get the Harley, but for now it is safe and dry. We gave the family on the porch a couple gallons of water from the truck on the way back.

Next we go to Lance's GF's house and while I'm outside making sure everything is cool a neighbor walks up w/ a sidearm and asked if the Military has arrived yet. I tell him about the troops that rode by earlier and he stated he's shot at several people trying to loot neighbor's houses and cars. He was out of 12 gauge buckshot so I gave him a box.

So we are loaded up and heading toward the bridge when we pass the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas and see two soldiers guarding the store. We pull up to talk to him and I guess he saw the shotguns and he IMMEDIATELY drew his weapon. I'm still now certain what type of fully automatic rifle it was (no M16 or anything like that). Anyway we all put our hands up and ask him if it was safe to exit up ahead and if he needed anything like water, ammo, etc. He said "I'll take all the ammo you can spare". I asked if they are low already and he stated that in anticipation of the storm they sent all the weapons and ammo to Jackson,Ms and it flooded before they could get to them. So THAT is why none of the Guardsmen are carrying. We gave him all the ammo we had minus what was in our clips. So they ended up w/ around 5-6 boxes of buckshot and 150-200 rounds of hollow point .45

He then said 'Be careful up ahead they are rioting at the Superdome. Whatever you do DO NOT STOP. We leave and take the on ramp and infront of us is 200-300 people blocking the on ramp trying to get out of the city. We put out guns to the windows(they have been carjacking every car leaving the city) held the horn and never dropped below 15mph. People were moving away then rushing the truck but after seeing the guns they backed off. I really felt bad for some of those people because they looked tired and have a looong walk ahead of them but we weren't taking any chances
Old 09-02-2005, 02:56 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Cool80
It really does sound worse than a third world country. Hard to imagine such a place in the United States in 2005.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 PM
steves_77vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy Batman, Corey! I was watching the thread in OT and wondering how it went. You got my vote for Brass B@lls of the Year award! And a big thumbs up on helping out your neighbors and Guardsmen.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:04 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So property value is really dropping in that area?

Good to see an update to the story.

Get notified of new replies

To Drove into HELL (New Orleans) last night...

Old 09-02-2005, 03:11 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I am glad you are safe bro.....I have been watching the story unfold from my "safe" life here in Canada, and I have to say that I am utterly disgusted in the behaviour of these so-called human beings. Being poor is no excuse for that kind of behaviour, I don't care what anyone says. Nothing more than animals. Reminds me of how disgusted I was during the riots following the Rodney King trial in L.A. I am just waiting for all the well known pro-black activists to start spewing their verbal diarrhea about how poorly your government has reacted to this.......they were told to leave for christs sake, what do they expect?!

Last edited by 7t2vette; 09-02-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:28 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I am just waiting for all the well known pro-black activists to start spewing their verbal diarrhea about how poorly your government has reacted to this......

DUDE, YOU KNOW THAT IS, AND WILL HAPPEN!!!!!!!!

they think we still owe them for the past. Well that was the past,
and they have better lives that most now, and they just can't leave it alone
Old 09-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Damn Corey, it takes a hell of a set to want to go back after your first venturen in. I have been avoiding PMing you after reading your first post in OT and seeing all of the response from everyone. I am sure you have been covered up. Glad you got some of your stuff back and made it back out safe. I bet the guardsmen were really surprised to see you and happy you left them some backup.

Quick Reply: Drove into HELL (New Orleans) last night...