Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68-71 Fiber Optics good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO the fiber optic system was one of the best examples of engineering ever installed in a car. Why? It relies entirely on the laws of physics to operate, is simple in design and provides a useful function.

The purpose of the system is to inform the driver if an important light bulb on the exterior of the car has burned out and needs to be replaced. Other cars have such systems, but they consist of a series of electronics to convey the information. Many times these systems can't work correctly. For example: if the indicator light on the dash on a Ford (for example) is out, does that mean the headlight is burned out or is the indicator light on the dash itself burned out?

With the Vette fiber optic system, if the headlight works, the fiber will display it. No maintenance required...simple and elegant!
Old 09-15-2005, 03:47 PM
James1970
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majic1984
Well, do you plan on taping it into your current wire setup or just laying it down as it comes out of the box (if I were you, I would cut tape off my old harness and remove whats left over from the old optic system, then start over and attach the optics to the main harness with a good bit of electrical tape to protect the fiber optics from getting frayed)? It is a very easy installation either way. There is a rubber plug on the front harness optic assembly that plugs into your firewall and runs down by the radiator with your front lamp harness where those rubber boots then plug into your headlights and marker lights. The rear fiber harness takes the same path as the rear electrical harness except at the rear of the doorjamb it goes out and into those clips you see on your backboard (behind the driver's seat) and then follows down the driver's side of the console in the rest of the clips and ends where the bottom of the console plate goes. I will take pics if you need and explain further - just let me know...

- Michael

Now if you plan on rewiring your car - THAT IS A B1TCH!!!

Majic1984,

Thanks again for your input. I'm going to take a look at the Assembly Manual to get a feel for what this will entail. Your advice regarding removal vs. abandonment of the existing FO system is the RIGHT WAY to do the fix IMO. While I really don't want to add this project to the rest of the interior reinstallation, I'll be kicking myself if I don't do it now. Post/email a photo or two if you like. I do appreciate your input.

Best,

James1970
Old 09-15-2005, 11:12 PM
john roth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James1970
Great link Majic. Thanks!

How difficult is the installation? I've got my entire interior out while the car's in paint. Is this something one of average mechanical skill could tackle?

James
I just rewired my '69 and today I hooked up the battery EVERYTHING WORKS!! I haven't done anything like this before,you just have to invest the time.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:20 AM
majic1984
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by James1970
Majic1984,

Thanks again for your input. I'm going to take a look at the Assembly Manual to get a feel for what this will entail. Your advice regarding removal vs. abandonment of the existing FO system is the RIGHT WAY to do the fix IMO. While I really don't want to add this project to the rest of the interior reinstallation, I'll be kicking myself if I don't do it now. Post/email a photo or two if you like. I do appreciate your input.

Best,

James1970
I'll try to get them out tonight James. (along with pics of what all came with my aftermarket A/C system - but thats a whole different thread.. haha)
Old 09-16-2005, 10:22 AM
majic1984
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by john roth
I just rewired my '69 and today I hooked up the battery EVERYTHING WORKS!! I haven't done anything like this before,you just have to invest the time.

I haven't hooked up my battery yet, I'm sooo scared! I do have a fire extinguisher ready..
Old 09-16-2005, 11:58 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I've installed all new front wire harnesses. I'll be making an auxiliary harness for my HEI, electric fans, fuel pump, etc.

I don't plan on connecting the battery to my new electrical system when I first power up it up. If there's a short, the battery will easily flow 100 to 200 (?) amps. No use burning up an expensive new harness.

I'll probably wire some dry cell flashlight batteries together to produce 12 volts. I'll use this the first time I energize the front wire harnesses and make sure the ignition switch works and the lights all work. The idea is that if something is miss-wired, I don't want to have a power source that will instantiously vaporize the wire in the harness. Ideally a currently limited 12 volt power supply would be the best thing to use, but I'd have to go buy this and they're expensive for a one-time use.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:53 PM
ammonraa
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Correct operation?

So the correct operation of the fiber optics is they light up when the lights they correspond are working correctly? They go out when one of the bulbs is out?

am I understanding this correctly?
Old 02-26-2021, 01:26 AM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ammonraa
So the correct operation of the fiber optics is they light up when the lights they correspond are working correctly? They go out when one of the bulbs is out?

Yes, that is how they work as long as the fiber optic cable is connected and is in good condition..
The following users liked this post:
ammonraa (02-26-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 02:00 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by ammonraa

You are responding to a post from 16 years ago.

Its a good time to start a new thread.

Quick Reply: 68-71 Fiber Optics good or bad?