C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a trick to removing radiator shroud on a '75?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 12:08 AM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Is there a trick to removing radiator shroud on a '75?

Just spent 5 hours removing the radiator and I swear the idiots that designed this car must have started with the shroud and built the car around it.
Haynes manual for this car is about as helpful as Chiltons...show a diagram of a "typical" early model. Remove the shroud extension, brackets and bolts and pull shroud back. Yeah right! Let's see, if I pull UP the shroud only goes so far and hits the upper radiator neck. If I pull BACK it hits the control arms! Pry the bottom up over the U shaped cross member...no good, just jams it in tighter. Try pulling out with radiator as an assembly? Hell no! Hate to say it but I ended up losing my temper and ripped it out of there in a fit of rage. Luckily it came out only a little battered but in one piece.
Once the shroud from hell was out of the way, the radiator slid right out.
I'm going to pick up a new radiator on Monday and I'm dreading putting the shroud back in, especially without damaging the new radiator.
Is there something obvious that I'm missing? It simply can't be this difficult. I can't see dropping it out the bottom and out the top the control arms are right there jamming everything up.

And to think there isn't even anything wrong with the radiator, just at the point of not trusting it after 3 decades of use.

George
Old 09-17-2005, 12:23 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I do: Remove hood. Locate the core support mounting bolts on either side (In fender-wells). Remove all but the bottom ones on both sides. This will allow you to pull the rad. support towards the front of the car. Tie it in place as much as you can, to the nose/bumper support brace. Install shroud first, then radiator. You may still need to have someone hold the shroud away a little, but it will be much easier. G/L
Old 09-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by big_G
Here's what I do: Remove hood. Locate the core support mounting bolts on either side (In fender-wells). Remove all but the bottom ones on both sides. This will allow you to pull the rad. support towards the front of the car. Tie it in place as much as you can, to the nose/bumper support brace. Install shroud first, then radiator. You may still need to have someone hold the shroud away a little, but it will be much easier. G/L

You can also pull all the support bolts and remove the support, radiator, shroud as one unit.
Easier to assemble the radiator, shroud, and seals as a unit on your work bench and set the unit in the car complete. Beats working over the fender. You'd be amazed how much easier it is. Hard part is removing the hood.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:12 AM
surfshark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, does your thread bring back bad memories. My stepdad and I went through the same thing with my mother's '75. We finally pulled it, took it to the radiator shop, re-installed it only to have it leak still. We invoked demons and cursed GM engineers that day! Big G's method is what we figured out and it worked the best. My '80 is 100 times easier to do. Good luck with the installation.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:54 AM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't put the shroud back and go with a set of SPAL electric fans.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:11 AM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing to a 75 that I had about 5 years ago, but I broke the shroud getting it out. Correct replacement shrouds aren't cheap. I used the above method when I removed the radiator on my 71. Worked much better.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:30 AM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, get an unwitting accomplice lined up and take everything out as one unit and reinstall the same way.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

If you don't care about originality, just cut it in half before you put it back in. I cut mine at a seam on top, middle on bottom. Drilled a few holes in a metal plate and bolt it back together when it's back in. Piece of cake to get it back in now!
Old 09-17-2005, 10:34 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

First things first - take the Haynes or Chiltrons to the outhouse to use as butt fodder.

Next - get a set of GM service manuals and the AIM.

Big_G is correct. IF you have the hood off and someone helping you lift on the other side it is fairly easy to remove. I pulled everything out in less than 2 hours with my wife only helping to lift the hood and the radiator/shroud from the car. Rusty bolts were the biggest problem I had. And why go to the expense and trouble of an electric fan if the original is working fine.... put it all back together as it came out.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:45 AM
vairxpert
Pro

Thanks for all the tips! Guess I don't feel so bad now as I thought I had just turned into a moron who couldn't do something as simple as remove a radiator shroud.

I'll try to get the core support out. If that doesn't work out I like the idea of cutting the shroud in two. Not exactly my style but it would make life a lot easier in the future and it came close to being sawzalled out last night.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:47 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LOTAHP
Don't put the shroud back and go with a set of SPAL electric fans.
That's what I did! Best way to get the shroud out is with a Dremel tool. Cut it into four inch pieces and fill up a trash can with them.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:53 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vairxpert
Thanks for all the tips! Guess I don't feel so bad now as I thought I had just turned into a moron who couldn't do something as simple as remove a radiator shroud.

I'll try to get the core support out. If that doesn't work out I like the idea of cutting the shroud in two. Not exactly my style but it would make life a lot easier in the future and it came close to being sawzalled out last night.

When I was using my shroud with the mechanical fan I was able to get the shroud in & out without removing the support (removing the support requires less struggling). It was very tricky sort of like trying to pick a combination lock. You have put it in at a certain angle and then rotate it in. Is takes a little flexing of the shroud and a little musclling but I have done it a couple of times with a Griffin Radiaitor with larger than stock juggs. But you must have patience.

Seems like most things "just fit" in the design of the Corvette. And if you are not re-installing the part in the "exact" way it should go in it will fight to no end.

Last edited by LOTAHP; 09-17-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:30 PM
vairxpert
Pro

For you guys with the SPAL fans...are you using one large 16" or the dual 11" fans? Any overheating problems while using your A/C?
Where's the best place to purchase them?

The 2 year old water pump is leaking and I believe it's due to an out of balance fan blade. Picked up an oem style by Flex (not the flex type though) which I can return. Since I had things apart that's when I decided I may as well replace the radiator.

I did check out the electric fans they had at Advance Auto Parts and for anything past 4.0 liter they recommended two 16" fans, didn't think there was enough room for that so I picked up the stock type that works with the fan clutch.

I'm still kicking around ideas and the thought of more room under there is appealing.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

when i took mine out on my 77, i pulled the rad out firest... then pulled the shroud
Old 09-17-2005, 09:56 PM
LOTAHP
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vairxpert
For you guys with the SPAL fans...are you using one large 16" or the dual 11" fans? Any overheating problems while using your A/C?
Where's the best place to purchase them?

I'm using the dual set-up and each fan is on its own toggle switch to be put on/off manually. Car very rarely runs over 180* and very rarely both fans are used. Both fans are off and as the car starts to warm up I switch on the left fan. On very hot days at long traffic lights (with underdrive pullys) I will have to switch on the right fan but once the car starts moving and temp go down off goes the right side fan.

OH!!! AC ??? Are you talking about spark plug brand???

Sorry, when the top is down I just SHAKE & BAKE !!!

Old 09-17-2005, 10:25 PM
collectskulls
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

did mine the other day as well but seeing as i knew i was going to go with eltric fans i took a saws all too mine and cut into peices till it would come out lol
Old 09-18-2005, 08:12 AM
72ls5fla
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Be very happy you don't have a BB with A/C ......

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a trick to removing radiator shroud on a '75?

Old 09-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

George,

One some cars, depending on the size of the shroud, you need to pull the A-arm bolt on the front passenger side. This cuts loose that last 1” of room you need. You do not need to remove the A-arm just the bolt and the washer.

George
Old 02-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Msimek
3rd Gear

Default Kept hood on, and shroud in, with A/C in a 77

I just kept it in, took the hoses off and pulled the radiator out.. Pretty easy really.. I'm just a guy not a mechanic.. So maybe it's different in a 77 like mine.. I have A/C and 350. No need to remove the hood, that's just extra work.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:55 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Everytime I've pulled mine I start out calm with a plan. Then when all that falls apart I get mad and start cussing and jamming and it goes in. When I was 19 or so I changed one no problem hood went back on no issues. Life sure was easy in the early 80's

Quick Reply: Is there a trick to removing radiator shroud on a '75?