Sponsored by:

What do car salesholes make?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 09:59 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What do car salesholes make?

Went to a Dodge dealership today with $45k burning a hole in my pocket...there were 10 salespeople sitting around and no-one bothered to approach. That's pretty different from my last experience (several years ago) when I was mobbed by 'em.

Are sales so good these days that they don't need new business?

What does the average (mid-size) dealership salesperson make in a "good" year?
Old 10-22-2005, 10:05 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet if you waved that moola around they would have mugged ya!
Old 10-22-2005, 10:12 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by big_G
I bet if you waved that moola around they would have mugged ya!
I wasn't exactly dressed nicely, but this is SoFLA...people go to five-star restaurants in shorts & flip-flops.

So did they size me up by the way I was dressed? Was it my DD that told them "broke-dick"?

All I know is one of 'em didn't make a fat commission offa me today...
Old 10-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Coldburn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In late 2003 the market dropped out of the car market - and to answer your question, most make squat now. Some areas of the country are better than others. I think most dealers now, have to sell way more cars than they used to in order to keep from going under with a paper thin profit margin.

The car makers decided to cut all the profit out for the dealers (like doing the latest stunt.. offering them at emplyee prices). To be honest with you, I dont know how they actually stay in business. It's a strange relationship between the automaker and dealer.

The forien auto market I hear is better. You may also make some money selling Vettes and Hummers, etc..
Old 10-22-2005, 10:15 PM
chevy69
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

I heard the domestic sales were in the tank since all the "deals" went bye-bye.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:16 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Coldburn
In late 2003 the market dropped out of the car market - and to answer your question, most make squat now.
Then why weren't they all over me like Pavoratti on a Ball Park frank? They need sales, right?

I was the only customer and they were sitting in a circle telling jokes (or perhaps it was a circle-jerk). One of 'em was a tasty blonde. I would've given her the $45k for a Hummer...
Old 10-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Coldburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by TonySinclair
Then why weren't they all over me like Pavoratti on a Ball Park frank? They need sales, right?
All I know is one of 'em didn't make a fat commission offa me today...
Well you're right, they didn't make a fat commission off of ya.. Theres none to be had. The dealer most likely in an effort to keep people on the floor, now pays them a small salary (like a waitress) and they just get a little 'bump' if they actually sell somthing. So the incentive is gone. I'm talkin maybe $100-300. They used to pull in $1200+ for something in the $30-$40K range.

Also get this, the dealer has to PAY the auto maker to have their cars on the lot! That's why the dealers (not the sales folks) are typically motiviated to move them. It's called the 'Floor Plan'. Now, also keep in mind, the dealer (not the sales folks once again) does get a kickback from the manufacturer when they sell the car too. Once again, it's not much. It might repay the loss in the floor plan depending how long the car sat on the lot. (reasons why you can get great deals on new older models)

It really is a dieing industry for alot of fundamental reasons.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:38 PM
David Ey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya shouldnt ah been in ah dodge store anyways
Old 10-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Coldburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by David Ey
ya shouldnt ah been in ah dodge store anyways
Well yeah, that was his second mistake... the first was wearing a thong

I wasn't exactly dressed nicely, but this is SoFLA...people go to five-star restaurants in shorts & flip-flops.
Oh! They were flip-flops.. yeah right..
Old 10-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Awwww.... don't judge the entire industry, or all cars sales staff off one short dealer visit. It was probably really boring at that time and the guys were in the middle of a good joke. They probably had 10 tire-kickers in there and figured they'd let you look. Maybe they thought they were being courteous by not pestering you -- if you were interested you'd ask questions, etc.

Most people like it when dealers let them look around without swooping in like a pack of wolves.

Mark G
Old 10-22-2005, 10:44 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealerships in my town only have a handful of salesmen at the dealership. Those people sitting in a circle are customer service reps and after talking to them and if they determine you are a serious buyer then they will take you to a office and turn you over to a salesman.

That way they only pay the customer reps the minimun and they only have a limited number of salesmen to pay commission.

Times have changed at dealerships in the last few years.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:49 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dodge??? They are STILL the crappiest cars on the road, I know I owned 2, and never again. Just try and trade one in!
Old 10-22-2005, 10:54 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pcfred
Dodge??? They are STILL the crappiest cars on the road, I know I owned 2, and never again. Just try and trade one in!

They're the only company that sells these:

FWIW...drivetrain is Mercedes (5 cyl. turbo/auto). Chassis by Freightliner. Dodge markets them. Very successful/reliable truck in Europe for the past decade or so.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Coldburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcfred
After working for all 3.. I'd agree. Besides them not being an American car maker anymore..
Old 10-22-2005, 11:12 PM
seaboltm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOT being an american car maker MAY be a plus...............
Old 10-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Coldburn
Instructor

They're the only company that sells these:
FWIW...drivetrain is Mercedes (5 cyl. turbo/auto). Chassis by Freightliner. Dodge markets them. Very successful/reliable truck in Europe for the past decade or so.
Doesn't sound like much of it is *actually* Dodge! Perhaps they just assymble it? (Dont find those in America BTW)

It's interesting to see what different kinds of cars there are around the world!
Old 10-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Coldburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by seaboltm
NOT being an american car maker MAY be a plus...............
I'd agree, when Daimler bought them out.. They came out (and still are) with very innovative styles and have been the trend setter for trucks since. Car stylings are also very nice, with the viper and crossfire. I'd say that is the biggest plus they have. I'll tell you though, working for Ford, Dodge, and Chevy - I've found Dodge to have the poorest quality.

Chevy has the best seats hands down. SO those of you with back problems, you know where to go! Chevy has never had a diesel engine to speak of, but the new Duramax is proving to be a turnaround for them. Their new car campain especially most of them getting around 30 MPG, is also helping them. Chevy and Ford have the market in Trucks - pick the one you like and go with it.

I think Fords new SuperDutys and F150 are the best overall. I think Car&Driver said the same. (not that I put stock in them)

Get notified of new replies

To What do car salesholes make?

Old 10-22-2005, 11:31 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Yeah, it's kind of strange. In Texas if someone walks in jeans & boots they get promptly waited on, as some of the richest people dress like they just came in off the north 40. When I bought my 93, off the showroom floor, that's what I had on & they were more than happy to serve me.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Federot
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealerships walk a fine line of "pack of wolves" vs "we don't need you as a customer". I usually call in advance, talk to a salesman, then go in and specifically meet with THAT person and no others. Its a truely different experience, and you get alot of **** kissing out of it...LOL.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Coldburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by ratflinger
Yeah, it's kind of strange. In Texas if someone walks in jeans & boots they get promptly waited on, as some of the richest people dress like they just came in off the north 40. When I bought my 93, off the showroom floor, that's what I had on & they were more than happy to serve me.
I dont know about Texas. Even though I live here now, I moved from Colorado. Knowing what I know now, it will be hard for someone to get me back into a dealership to buy new or used.

Quick Reply: What do car salesholes make?