C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsheild Replacement Dilems - What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Default Windsheild Replacement Dilems - What would you do?

I'm restoring an 81 and I've run into a windshield dilema. Looking for your take. Basically the car has 120,000 mi, needs paint and seat covers. I got it pretty cheap and since I can do all the work it's going to be, well, should be, a pretty low dollar ride when I get done.

I planned on replacing the windshield because the original one is very pitted from all the years of use. It's not cracked, but it is rather pitted. I can get new windshields from a glass store that is two doors down from when I work, for $120 ea. I ordered one but the one I have is bronze tinted across the top (to match the T-tops I guess) and the one that arrived has a dark blue shade. They can't get Bronze. Of course Ecklers sells them but then I'm probably looking at $400-550 which is out of what I would want to pay.

So, it looks like my options are to keep what I have and live with the constillation of pits which I really don't want to do, or replace it but lose originality with the blude shade tint. Right now I'm not overly worried about originality, but on the other hand, the car isn't overly molested and I want to keep it as original as possible. But then, it's got 120k on it too.

What would you do?

Mark G
Old 10-25-2005, 11:52 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

I'd go for seeing through the windshield. Once you change the seat covers & repaint it won't be 'original" anyway (IMHO). The other thought would be that you get a usable windshield now and then later you can change back to the bronzed, if you wish.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:07 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Go for it(blue tint)..I have owned my 78 26 years..kept it as original as possible..but it has been painted,seats redone...etc..so it is an original "restored" almost....antenna is aftermarket....123,000 miles,blah,blah...8 track still in it...but it is only really worth anything to me...
Old 10-26-2005, 08:04 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ratflinger
I'd go for seeing through the windshield. Once you change the seat covers & repaint it won't be 'original" anyway (IMHO). The other thought would be that you get a usable windshield now and then later you can change back to the bronzed, if you wish.

Me too. $120 is cheap enough for now and a clear windshield is a good thing. If you find a bronze one for a good price later you can swap it out.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:25 PM
G dad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try polish...depends how deep some of the pits are but I used some compound from a glass guy where I live & a foam pad on my polisher it worked well...not perfect but not bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Windsheild Replacement Dilems - What would you do?

Quick Reply: Windsheild Replacement Dilems - What would you do?