C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm building a C3 Subwoofer box and had a questions about different years

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen it mentioned here before, but not very often. What about mounting the amp to the vertical section of flooring behind the seat and in front of the storage compartment. Similar to how most people mount amps in regular cab trucks. Personally I'm not too hot on the idea of mounting my amp to the back wall under that big piece of glass. Mostly because my rear window isn't tinted and I don't have any plans to do so, and my rear cargo cover spring is broken.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I built a single "false floor" for the back compartment on my 68 vert. It's about 2" high and slopes down in the back. Two boxes angle up on each side to enclose 2 6 X 9 Polks. It's made of plywood and fiberglass to match the contours.
A CD changer and amp is mounted in between the 6 X 9s.
I removed the original batter/storage/jack compartment doors and built 1 big door in the false floor. This has 3 8" subwoofers in it.
A small arm rest addition contains 2 4" coaxial speakers that sit flush between the seats.
I can now axctually hear my stereo over the sidepipes!
Gary
Old 11-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ak. Mal
I've seen it mentioned here before, but not very often. What about mounting the amp to the vertical section of flooring behind the seat and in front of the storage compartment.
]
Theres enough room to fit them in the storage compartment.

Not sure on the T-top problem but since I smooshed a nearly full sized box for 12"ers and my rag top why not have mounts on the box and floor so the tops snap in? Angled in any way they fit but they don't shift.

I still like the canvas top for the T-tops. Leave the tops at home where they're safe.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:14 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my kickpanels glassed today, All I done to this point was knock the high spots down. I still need to add filler and then smooth it out. The last thing to do is cover them in black vinyl to match my interior.

They stick out 1" deeper than stock and have a slight upward angle to them. But the 6.5" coaxials will be a nice addition over the factory size 4 x 6's speakers.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:01 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Ok, I've prototyped a 8" storage enclosure box, it actually fits pretty good (please excuse the mess, I haven't started working on my interior yet)

Specs:

.30 cubic feet ( this will be ok for small box subs)

3/4" mdf construction

Grey trunk carpet for durability

Terminal cup on the bottom for speaker hook up.

I would still add a grille over the sub for protection.

The storage trays and factory jack will need to be removed, The nice thing is it doesn't take up any extra room so you can have room for the t-tops and get better sound out of the stereo.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, but how hard is it to access the battery if need be?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:34 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ak. Mal
Looks good, but how hard is it to access the battery if need be?
It's pressured fitted, so it won't flop around. To get it out you can slide a flat object like a metal putty knife underneath it and the whole thing will pop up. Pretty easy.

I put it up on ebay now, just do a search for "C3 Subwoofer enclosure 1968-1982" Starting bid is low.

Quick Reply: I'm building a C3 Subwoofer box and had a questions about different years