C O R V E T T E Rear Letter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 01:08 AM
James1970
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C O R V E T T E Rear Letter Installation

Hi All,

My C3 Vert is scheduled to come out of the paint shop next weekend (6 months...finally!). They have yet to install the new set of CORVETTE letters to the rear clip and I'd like to get them a TEMPLATE showing proper placement.

I believe I saw a similar thread a few weeks ago where a member had a TEMPLATE to address this situation. I've been unable to locate that thread and would appreciate any assistance / comments in this regard.

Thank You,

James1970
Old 11-06-2005, 04:26 PM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like be included in this too.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11-06-2005, 05:45 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Assembly manual should have some info.

Don't know why they are waiting till after paint to drill the holes. All that stuff should be down before paint. That way there is no chance of damage.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:56 PM
James1970
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Assembly manual should have some info.

Don't know why they are waiting till after paint to drill the holes. All that stuff should be down before paint. That way there is no chance of damage.

Steve:

Thanks for the reminder regarding the A.M. Page K267 shows the letters but no information on placement.

Regarding the holes: The paint shop filled-in the rear letter holes as well as the side STINGRAY emblems holes. As they specialize in Corvettes only, I'm wondering why they would do that? I agree that it would make sense to keep the existing holes or drill new ones before paint was applied.

Anyway, the letters/emblems are on my "punch list" of remaining items. I have a couple grand of "leverage" remaining but I'm confident they'll take care of it before it gets ugly.

Still hoping a forum member can clarify placement of the rear letters.

Best Regards,

james
Old 11-06-2005, 08:29 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 68 had all the holes for the letters filled in by the original owner of my car.
The holes need to be opened up BEFORE paint and if your shop didn't do that I question how good they really are.
Anyway, stick a droplight behind where the letters should be, between the back side of the body and the gas tank with the light facing the letters and you should be able to see from the outside where the holes for each letter were filled in. Then dril lout the holes with a drill SMALLER than the holes because you can always enlarge them but you can't fill them especially since the clowns already painted over them. I received three different templates for my car and the key is they were all different and didn't line up. You need two holes for each letter as one holds the letter and the other holds an alignment tip on the letter. At least the 68 letters were that way. After I drilled the hole, I did one letter at a atime and fitted it by enlarging very slowly with a small pointed tip round file. Work slow and do one letter at a time. You must file very slow or your paint will chip and it will look horrible. This comes close to being like surgery and you need to work very slow, and use a very FINE file.
Good luck,
Old 11-07-2005, 03:58 PM
James1970
Racer

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To C O R V E T T E Rear Letter Installation

Quick Reply: C O R V E T T E Rear Letter Installation