Sponsored by:

Looking for input on Seats for my 76

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Beasley's 76
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking for input on Seats for my 76

Has anyone had any success finding seats from other Auto's that work in the C3's. What is the best seat for the money from Aftermarket vendors?

Thanks for any and all input!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:39 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried several and the seats from an 80 to 82 Vette are the most comfortable and lightest weight.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:42 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beasley's 76
Has anyone had any success finding seats from other Auto's that work in the C3's. What is the best seat for the money from Aftermarket vendors?

Thanks for any and all input!
I just pulled mine, and had a local upholsterer redo them.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I'm adapting the seats from my departed 1990 Talon to fit my '77. I'm going to need to weld up one seat bracket, and find a way to bolt the rails to the other brackets. The driver's seat is fully adjustable, both are fully bolstered and very comfortable. They are currently charcoal leather, but I'd like to find some decent, inexpensive black leather covers.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:02 AM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked up a set of Fiero seats. Very comfortable and supportive. Haven't installed them, yet.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Greenwood79
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seats in my 1976 are WAY, WAY more comfortable than the seats in my 1979....Just a higher back and they fit better....The 2" or 4" bolsters just don't feel comfortable at all in the '79.

Andy
Old 11-07-2005, 04:09 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Thew seats I pulled out of my 76 were almost identicle to a friends jeep seats from the front (wrangler Year-?-mid 80's). The bottom was I think 1 to 1&1/2 inches taller and the fold down mech was different. Fiero, camaro, firebird, BMW, corbeau all have seats that will fit nicelt and feel great but I am going with C5 seats (if they ever get here) and will post how to make brackets to mount them to stock holes and use the C5 tracks when done (if they ever get here).
Old 11-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

I'm curious about this as well; the seat back on the driver's seat for our '74 is REALLY flexible and scares me. Thing feels like I'm going to go all the way back to the back wall if I lean back slightly. The last time I sat in a car like this the seat back actually broke on me.

My dad and I are considering doing some racing seats like Recaros or Sparcos (yes, we know they're not original, but they're a heck of a lot more sturdy than the ones that are in there now, and feel relatively comfortable). The problem with this is I'm unsure of whether the seats have pre-made mounting brackets, or whether we have to fab up some seat brackets (I'm guessing the latter moreso than the former), all that fun stuff.

Here's a thought I just had, though: are the passenger and driver's seats the same? Can I swap the seats out from one side to the other, I mean?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:23 PM
76mike
Racer

Originally Posted by Sprzout
Here's a thought I just had, though: are the passenger and driver's seats the same? Can I swap the seats out from one side to the other, I mean?
I pulled my seats a week or so ago and discovered that they are indeed identical. No way to tell them apart, except for the wear
Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

I'm curious about this as well; the seat back on the driver's seat for our '74 is REALLY flexible and scares me. Thing feels like I'm going to go all the way back to the back wall if I lean back slightly. The last time I sat in a car like this the seat back actually broke on me.
there is a brace that most of the catalogs sell to reinforce the back cross rail on the seat to help this problem.
My dad and I are considering doing some racing seats like Recaros or Sparcos (yes, we know they're not original, but they're a heck of a lot more sturdy than the ones that are in there now, and feel relatively comfortable). The problem with this is I'm unsure of whether the seats have pre-made mounting brackets, or whether we have to fab up some seat brackets (I'm guessing the latter moreso than the former), all that fun stuff.
Most seat manufacturers offer brackets for different model cars, Sparco I believe does offer on for the vette, and they also sell a "universal one that can be used for other brand seats.

Why yes they are the same (seat) from one side to the other on the C3's.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for input on Seats for my 76

Quick Reply: Looking for input on Seats for my 76