Sponsored by:

Scca racers what class do you run in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07
Default Scca racers what class do you run in?

We are just starting scca and I want to see what class your running in becuase im not sure about what class im going to run in. It can't be full on racing and I whould like the cars to be far apart
Old 11-25-2005, 05:21 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

with all your mods you will be running in a street touring or street prepared class. You will probably need to put in a roll bar.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Whoa on that, hoss...

Are you running Solo I, or Solo II (autocross, laid out with cones?)

If you're running Solo I, yes, you're definitely going to need a roll cage; you're probably also going to run either Showroom Stock or Street Prepared classes (most likely BS or BSP, depending on whether it's modified). This type of racing does require special licensing and classes that you're required to go through before you can race.

Solo II, you won't need a roll cage; it's kind of a "run whatcha brung" type of event. I used to race those all the time with my little Saturn (and turned out respectable times). Again, running Solo II, depending on the mods, you'll probably be running BS or BSP, maybe BP (B class Prepared). This type usually requires a valid driver's license (unless you're racing in the junior kart classes, and your kart must meet very strict qualifications in order to race in those events), but no classes (although it's recommended to go through a novice course walkthrough before you actually race).

Check here for the rules that will apply to you.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by turtlevette
with all your mods you will be running in a street touring or street prepared class. You will probably need to put in a roll bar.
What classification is that under?

Sporting Regulations - 1.1 mb
American Sedan Category - 232 KB
Formula Category - 380 KB

Grand Touring (GT) Category - 344 KB

Improved Touring Category - 220 KB

Production Category - 580 KB

Showroom Stock - 224 KB

Spec Miata - 300 KB
Sports Racer Category - 232 KB

Touring Category - 1.4 MB
Old 11-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

So basically solo is autocross? I want to do some road racing too. Is there a class in road racing that you dont start in a pack? So we are less likely to crash.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:20 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by Yellow73SB
So basically solo is autocross? I want to do some road racing too. Is there a class in road racing that you dont start in a pack? So we are less likely to crash.

your probably gonna have to get your drivers license first. If you do roadracing you will have to install a rollbar with the 470 hp engine. Might as well install a full cage. The specs for that will be in the regs.

You'll have plenty of time to work on it until you turn 16.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by turtlevette
your probably gonna have to get your drivers license first. If you do roadracing you will have to install a rollbar with the 470 hp engine. Might as well install a full cage. The specs for that will be in the regs.

You'll have plenty of time to work on it until you turn 16.
My dad is driving
Old 11-26-2005, 02:03 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

My dad is driving
If your dad is driving, you won't be riding along. Solo II racing, aka autocross, does not allow any ridealongs unless it's a "fun run" or the person in the passenger's seat is there because you're a novice and he/she is not.

Give me all of your mods (include tire/wheel size) and I'll help you class your car appropriately for Solo II racing.

However, if you're looking for road racing, almost all road racing involves racing in packs. The only road racing that I know of that doesn't do racing in packs AND will allow a passenger, would be something like running the Silver State Classic Challenge.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

My car is basically stock except I have... 550 front springs composite rear spring(not sure about the pounds) 1 1/4 sway bar 7/8 rear sway bar. The engine has about 470 hp though. We will probally get adjustable sway bars weld the whole frame and put a full roll cage in it after a year or two of racing or untill my dad is confident enough in his driving that he is actually pushing the limits of the car. We will probally have my cousin drive the car at sebring to see how it feels(he is sponsored by out back and one at sebring a time or two in a truck series) The tires are 26.5x8 in the front and 27x8 in the back. The wheels are stock rallys in 15x8.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Also if no one is allowed to ride why do they have two seats in most of the race cars?

Old 11-27-2005, 02:35 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

My car is basically stock except I have... 550 front springs composite rear spring(not sure about the pounds) 1 1/4 sway bar 7/8 rear sway bar. The engine has about 470 hp though. We will probally get adjustable sway bars weld the whole frame and put a full roll cage in it after a year or two of racing or untill my dad is confident enough in his driving that he is actually pushing the limits of the car. We will probally have my cousin drive the car at sebring to see how it feels(he is sponsored by out back and one at sebring a time or two in a truck series) The tires are 26.5x8 in the front and 27x8 in the back. The wheels are stock rallys in 15x8.
Your cousin is not going to be able to drive it out at Sebring in any sort of race unless the car has a roll cage. Tech will not even let it out on the track for any racing, especially with some of the flat turns that are out at the track.

And if it's running at 470 hp, there's no way in hell the engine's stock. Someone else can confirm this, but I believe the stock HP output of a '73 Corvette was around 270 HP. That means there's been engine mods done to the car. Also, if you're planning on doing the suspension work as mentioned above, that will bump you into a different class for Solo II/Autocross events. If you run R compound tires on there as well (as opposed to DOT approved, or street legal tires) that'll change your qualifications as well.

My guess (without seeing the car and being able to run through the gamut) is that the car will be put into SM2, or Street Modified 2, maybe BSP (B class, Street Prepared).

To answer your next question about why there are race cars that have 2 seats in them...This is done to meet class specifications. Many classes, i.e. Showroom Stock, require that the car have essentially the same setup as what would have been found on the showroom floor if the car had been bought from a dealer. This means that if you're driving a 4 seater car (say a Subaru WRX, for example) you would be required to have that many seats and the same amount of safety restraints for said amounts of seats. Most of the time the seats are swapped out for racing seats to lighten the car's load over the stock seats (a loophole in the rules).

And as for getting comfortable pushing the limits of the car, have your dad drive Solo II events for a while. A spinout at 30 mph (a HIGH likelihood of happening, if the car is pushing 470 hp with a novice race driver behind the wheel) is easier to recover from than one at say, 100 mph. The best tuned cars spin out on a course if too much power is given. I've watched guys in Vipers at the local Solo II events spin out because they give the car too much gas and oversteer the turns.

Ask anyone who's done Solo II for a while: It's not the high HP cars that turn out the best times, it's the little ones with the best handling and less power. Miatas, Minis, and BMWs are generally the ones that turn in the best times because of their weight distributions.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Are we allowed to run slicks in SM2?
Old 11-27-2005, 04:02 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.scca.com/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf

There are all the rules for Solo II. I run B Stock but my car is mostly stock.

Sprzout, I have been to multiple autocrosses where they allow passengers as long as they have a helmet and sign a waiver.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by CrossedFlags77

Sprzout, I have been to multiple autocrosses where they allow passengers as long as they have a helmet and sign a waiver.
I think I have to run in street prepared. This is becuase of my slicks. I don't really care becuase we just want to go and have a good time and drive.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CrossedFlags77

The only ones I've done in San Diego/LA areas have all had passengers restricted unless it's a fun run or the passenger is for novice runs. I know for official SCCA Solo II runs they don't allow passengers; it states it in the rules.

And as for running slicks in SM2, no, you cannot run slicks. They have to be street legal tires, DOT certified. Running slicks will bump you into a B class Prepared, or BP.

And expect to be eaten alive if you run BP, especially if it's the very first time you're running...Most of the guys who run in the Prepared classes know what they're doing when it comes to racing.

If it's going to be the first time running, I'd recommend going out with street tires and just going through the Novice runs, rather than trying to set up the car for full speed driving. Most autocross racing, you'll hit a max of 55-60 mph on the courses, and that'll be a quick blip on the throttle down a straight before you come into a hard right/left, or chicane...The courses are usually laid out to keep the speeds down.

Get notified of new replies

To Scca racers what class do you run in?

Quick Reply: Scca racers what class do you run in?