Sponsored by:

Worth giving up my 79?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 06:24 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth giving up my 79?????

Alright well i had wanted to sell my 02 jeep wrangler and buy a c5 about 2 months ago cause i would have about the same pymt, but the parents said no to the two corvette thing, being i am still only 16. Now they have come around cause i wanted to buy a little car to save gas money and lower pymt than my jeep, so they thought i want a car and a vette, so i might be able to get a c5 afterall, but it would mean giving up my 79, which i have had for 3 and a half yrs, put tons of work and money into, and love. I don't know if i could do it. I think i could though cause i would go from loving one vette that i don't get to drive very often to loving a daily driver c5. If i did, i don't really know how much my 79 would be worth and i could post some fairly recent pics if someone would tell me how or post them for me that would be great. Also my jeep is worth about 16000 so if anyone is interested in that, and the vette will probably go up for sale, (undecided still) but i don't know for how much.
thanks, and all opinions are welcome until i say otherwise. lol. anyways, thanks for the help.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:06 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

If you can get a C5 for the same monthly payment as a $16K Jeep, do it before the deal goes bye bye. Insurance may be a little higher though. Is the '79 in your name?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:28 PM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

Ok, here is my $.02,
The c-5 is not the type of vehicle that I would recomend for someone 16yrs old. Unless Mommy & Daddy are paying the insurance or you have a hell of an inheritance to pay for it yourself I can speculate that the insurance payment alone would equal the payments for the C-5.
Also the '79 you can work on your self with some mechanicl knowledge, and good reading comprehension. The C-5 requires expensive tools, and alot more than just basic knowledge to be able to diagnose problems let alone repair them. Auto Zone may be able to read trouble codes for you, but they can't tell you what caused the malfunction.

I say keep the '79 sell the Jeep, and get an econo box.
Just my $.02

DR. Jay
Old 11-27-2005, 10:37 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Originally Posted by KALAWAY
If you can get a C5 for the same monthly payment as a $16K Jeep, do it before the deal goes bye bye. Insurance may be a little higher though. Is the '79 in your name?
Parents, cause i was 13 when i bought it, even though i paid for it. And thats why i would sell the vette, cause the pymt would be close buy not exact, plus i still owe quite a bit on the jeep.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:39 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Originally Posted by DR.Jay
Ok, here is my $.02,
The c-5 is not the type of vehicle that I would recomend for someone 16yrs old. Unless Mommy & Daddy are paying the insurance or you have a hell of an inheritance to pay for it yourself I can speculate that the insurance payment alone would equal the payments for the C-5.
Also the '79 you can work on your self with some mechanicl knowledge, and good reading comprehension. The C-5 requires expensive tools, and alot more than just basic knowledge to be able to diagnose problems let alone repair them. Auto Zone may be able to read trouble codes for you, but they can't tell you what caused the malfunction.

I say keep the '79 sell the Jeep, and get an econo box.
Just my $.02

DR. Jay
You are sterotyping 16 yr olds. But yes they are paying for the insurance, but they have and i have ran the numbers and cause i am still in school, it can still be under their name. It might actaully be cheaper than the jeep and the vette are right now. As far as working on them goes, thats not a problem either, my dad owns one of the best auto repairs shops in kansas city with all the latest electronic scanners and stuff.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:48 PM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

Ok then if mom and dad say ok why not.
Don't take offense to my stereo typing I just look at things as if they are the worst case senario. Honestly how many 16yr olds do you know that fit in my stereo type? I bet it is more than a few.

Any way Good luck with your decision.

DR. Jay
Old 11-27-2005, 10:53 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Originally Posted by DR.Jay
Ok then if mom and dad say ok why not.
Don't take offense to my stereo typing I just look at things as if they are the worst case senario. Honestly how many 16yr olds do you know that fit in my stereo type? I bet it is more than a few.

Any way Good luck with your decision.

DR. Jay
No believe me i don't blame you for it, i am in high school and see it everyday. But it only took me one speeding ticket to learn my lesson. And that was quite a while ago and it hasn't happened again. I love corvettes and paid for the one i do have, that i bought when i was 13 from money i saved from working in my dads shop, and hate rice burners, so already i am not the typical 16 yr old.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:27 AM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Ok, so now that i have decided to sell it, who knows how much its worth? I can post recent pics if someone will tell me how cause my corvette photos thing on here is weird, i got it to work once but that was all.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:32 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteatv7
...who knows how much its worth?...
eBay knows(or will know once the auction closes) how much it's worth.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:37 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, If you sell it you will miss it, but being that you are 16 I am very understanding, my son is 17 and changes his mind so often about cars that my head spins, but he always comes back to "lets start putting those 'Vettes together". Good luck with what ever ya decide,,,Peace, Moosie
Old 11-29-2005, 08:44 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A C5 is not the same. Yes, it is a very fast and capable car, but it lacks the unique qualities of a C3 -- but you'll only find out after it's too late. You WILL miss the C3.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When you're old like most of us, you'll regret selling the 79. I say keep it and get rid of the Jeep. I don't know of anyone that ever said they wished the hadn't sold their Jeep. I hear all the time about the guys that still kick themself for selling their vettes. Remember, C3s are appreciating in value. The C5 will depreciate.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:03 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

i may regret it later, but for right now i don't have the time that it needs to do what i want to it, so it is just going to wind up rotting away in my garage if i don't sell it. so how much is it worth, and i can post recent pics if someone will tell me how, but i think its time with me is coming to an end.

Get notified of new replies

To Worth giving up my 79?????

Quick Reply: Worth giving up my 79?????