C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Steel Flexible radiator hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 03:40 PM
81fastvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Flexible radiator hoses?

I am converting my 81’ to TPI and am looking to clear out some space for a large K&N filter. This being the case I need to move the upper radiator hose out of the way. Just wondering if anybody has tried the Spectre Magna Cool Stainless Steel Flexible radiator hoses and what their experience was. Looks to me like they don’t have any rubber inside and Stainless doesn’t rust. Just wondering if leaking is a problem or not as it would be rather difficult to hose tape this if it started leaking on a road trip. Is anybody using this product?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 81fastvette
I am converting my 81’ to TPI and am looking to clear out some space for a large K&N filter. This being the case I need to move the upper radiator hose out of the way. Just wondering if anybody has tried the Spectre Magna Cool Stainless Steel Flexible radiator hoses and what their experience was. Looks to me like they don’t have any rubber inside and Stainless doesn’t rust. Just wondering if leaking is a problem or not as it would be rather difficult to hose tape this if it started leaking on a road trip. Is anybody using this product?
I had one on my 82 but got rid of it after about 2 years unrelated to the hose. The chrome waterneck started leaking and I could not get it to stop. Anyway, no problems with the hose, but those sucka's will get hot. Can burn your arm real easily if you do not watch out.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:36 PM
djgrelli
Racer

They do look nice and do seal well. Beats the heck out of me how they work. They are very popular on street rods. We have them on our 23 Ford T-Bucket no probems what so ever.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have asked this question before and don't think I ever got an answer..but are those things ribbed on the inside also? If so, I wouldn't want one. Especially if you're installing it on a Hi Po engine, the chevy thermostat location/setup is kinda crappy anyway w/ the resultant alterating flow between the 2 banks (not a real problem on a stock-ish engine but if you're making serious power it could lead to hot spots)
Old 11-29-2005, 06:15 PM
davidm_comp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure that they are smooth on the inside, just like a normal radiator hose, ribbing is just on the outside. I do not currently have these on my car, but I will be ordering them once I cough up enough cash for a new radiator and some electric fans.

David
Old 11-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

They are ribbed on the inside also. I have been using one for several years along with an aluminum o-ring thermostat housing, and aluminum radiator with dual spals. Never had a leak or cooling problem. My in dash temp gauge, direct manifold temp gauge, and fan sensor all measure and operate at the same readings so I guess I'm ok.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:04 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I have the Cool Flex hose on my '71, in black. They are kind of pricey but should outlast rubber hoses. I'm also going to use one for my lower hose. They are also available as heater hoses.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:16 PM
knkayotte
Melting Slicks

Work very well. Had to use one as my stock hose didn't work with new aftermarket rad I installed. Does get hot, suppose to help cool your coolant even more.

Going to replace my lower hose as well.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Im kind off interested in them if they are smooth on the inside. I whouldn't have to worry about colapsing the stock ones .
Old 11-30-2005, 03:45 PM
81fastvette
Instructor

Thanks for the input. Just like to make sure everything I use is quality as I bought the Vette to drive. Just hit 196k
Old 12-01-2005, 07:16 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have TPI in my 69. I'm using a 76L-81 core support and radiator, so it should be the same setup as you. I just used an 89 IROC upper hose and it fit perfectly. I am using the stock TPI t-stat neck.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:52 PM
nutseynut7
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-01-2005, 10:14 PM
David Ey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I put them on mine...upper, lower and heater but not enough time yet to form an opinion except I like the way they look. I don't see the inside ribbing as a problem.....the radiator and engine has LOTS of ribbing.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 12-01-2005, 10:25 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
I have asked this question before and don't think I ever got an answer..but are those things ribbed on the inside also? If so, I wouldn't want one. Especially if you're installing it on a Hi Po engine, the chevy thermostat location/setup is kinda crappy anyway w/ the resultant alterating flow between the 2 banks (not a real problem on a stock-ish engine but if you're making serious power it could lead to hot spots)
its not like your cooling a nuclear reactor. I think your over analyzing. If you need to have coolant moving that fast through your system your radiator isn't big enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless Steel Flexible radiator hoses?

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Flexible radiator hoses?