C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[dumb question] Is a block a block? Budget EFI builds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:58 PM
BrentDev
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default [dumb question] Is a block a block? Budget EFI builds?

Ok - brainstorming out loud.

But, a SB 350 is a SB 350, generally speaking right? I know - 2 bolt main vs 4 bolt, forged internals, etc - but still - the block is generally a block right?

So (and this may be some of what patsnitrovette is doing with his budget LS1 build **hope I have the right name**). Can you take a SB 350, and then looking on ebay, I was able to research / find:

LT1/LT4 intake: 100 bucks or less
LT1 fuel rails: 100 bucks or less
LT1 heads: 200-300 bucks
LT1 ECU: 100 bucks (or less)

The harness would be the pricey part - found some from Painless on Ebay for around 500-700 bucks.

Plus, from my 93 LT1 days - I know I would have to get an Optispark distributer - those are kinda pricey (500 or so?).

So - if you had a "freebie" good short block, could you build a budget LT1 for a grand - and get around 300 HP and 25 mpg?

Maybe you should just plunk down the money and get a LS1/T56 takeout.

Just want to get into Fuel Injection for a lot less than other kits.

p.s. - did see the post earlier on the DIY EFI.....

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:03 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well if you search hard enough the parts are out there CHEAP,if you have the resources you can pull a lt-1 from a u pull it junkyard for $100.Ebay has tons of great deals,and some bad,ls1tech.com has alot of good deals on parts,i found most of my stuff on there.Just remeber a lt1 intake has to be modified to fit the older motors,plus the lt1's are reverse cooling arent they? It would be better to find a complete lt1 first thats rebuildable.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:14 PM
BrentDev
Drifting

Yeah - LT1 is reverse cooling.

I am in no way more inclined to a LT1.....was just thinking it might be done for a little less.

Certainly prefer a LS1/LS2. More bang for the buck!

Thanks for answering Pat!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:21 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Well i think you could do it for $1000,i have $950 into my ls1 right now,i was trying for under $1000 without harness and im close,only need 2 things,waterpump and oil pan other then that the motor is built ready to drop in.Depending on the funds,id like to get a harness already made,but i have the know how to modify a stock harness like i did with the tpi i have now.that will save me $450 right there.I think the cheapest way out is tpi,reliable,torquey and tons of them out there for parts.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

LT1 heads can be converted to standard-flow. If you want inexpensive FI-swap info, check out www.diy-efi.org/gmecm.

The cast iron LT1 heads flow better than the aluminum ones. They were an intermediate redesign between the aluminum LT1 heads and the aluminum LT4 heads.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:53 AM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Ask anyone who has had to replace the spark plug wires in his LT-1 and you may have second thoughts. "opti-junk" is also a nickname I have heard from time to time. It's a pretty sweet motor, my son had a '96 SLP SS Camaro, but unless you gave me one for free, I'd stay away. A better way to go if you're looking for high tech is to find an iron LS-1 type motor (Gen III) available in late 90's trucks and buy an Edlebrock intake manifold and stand-alone ignition that will allow you to run a carb. In the meantime, the old school small blocks still have the most horsepower per dollar ratio around.
Attached Images   
Old 12-24-2005, 07:08 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Like lowbuck said,you can get 5.3's complete harness and all for under $500 on ebay all the time,they can still make great power and mileage too,hotrod did an article on them.All ls1 parts will interchange too,so you could chnage the waterpump and intake and itll look like a ls1 except for cast iron block.My brothers putting a 5.3 with ls6 intake in his s10 pickup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by patsnitrovette; 12-24-2005 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:05 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want fuel injection on your stock bottom end you want Tuned-Port; like Pats photo. If you are going to do LT1, I agree, find a complete engine. I have a friend that sold one complete with wiring harness and ECM for $500 from a 97 T/A. LT1 will more-or-less bolt in. If you don't mind some retrofitting, then an LS series engine is quite attractive. Prices are coming down. If you do go LS series, keep the fuel injection, don't go back 15 years to a carb.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:25 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

You can drill a hole in the back of an LT1 manifold and run a distributor. Run a google search for "LT1 manifold" and you should find all the info you need. Just run TPI electronics, and enjoy the better flow characteristics.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:37 PM
BrentDev
Drifting

Originally Posted by patsnitrovette
Like lowbuck said,you can get 5.3's complete harness and all for under $500 on ebay all the time,they can still make great power and mileage too
Yeah - when looking around ebay- I was thinking about maybe a 6.0 vice the 5.3.

Still wouldnt weigh any more than a BB, right?

Get notified of new replies

To [dumb question] Is a block a block? Budget EFI builds?

Quick Reply: [dumb question] Is a block a block? Budget EFI builds?