Sponsored by:

Which bellhousing to use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 03:57 PM
1mollyd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which bellhousing to use?

I've got the engine out of my '69 coupe and am stripping and repainting it.

While out I plan on replacing the clutch. This motor appears to be an ex-truck engine acording to the suffix codes. The bellhousing on the engine is a big heavy steel unit.

Are there any benefits, aside from the obvious weight reduction, to swapping the steel bellhousing out for an aluminum one?

TIA

Dave
Old 12-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Grutzy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I unloaded my overweight Lakewood for a polished aluminum Lakewood. It looks very nice and is much lighter. Of course, it is not blowproof and that is what you give up when going to aluminum. From what I have been told, the newer billet flywheels are much less likely to explode. I also do not make a practice out of frame bending holeshots like some others do. If you are going to drag race the car, I believe that a blowproof bellhousing is a requirement.

Last edited by Grutzy; 12-25-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I am running a Lakewood blow sheild on mine. Yes the steel flywheels are less likely to explode but the clutch disc can disentigrate at any time and take the pressure plate with it. For normal driving an aluminum is fine. If you do any drag racing or high rpm shifting a blow sheild is cheap nsurance. My aluminum belhousing is tucked neatly under the workbench right now.

Get notified of new replies

To Which bellhousing to use?

Quick Reply: Which bellhousing to use?