C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to visit St. Louis - anything to see at the old plant ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:28 PM
69'Silver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a shot of the plant today. Most of the peices are there just used for other stuff now. I'm not sure what area was used for Vettes.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where's "Waldo" (with the ski mask)
Old 01-26-2006, 11:56 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHen I moved here to SL, I had hoped to get a shot of the plant with the Moneypit parked right out front, where it was born in April of 1969. However, such was not to be. The plant facade was modernized, and it was put to good use after loosing production to Bowling Green. I forget what all they manufacture there, but at least the facility was used, and was not allowed to go to waste. I really do not want this thread to go ugly. The crime has nothing to do with the ethnicity (or any other characteristic (race, religion, national origin) for that matter) of the people around that area. Fact is, it is a densly populated area which contributes a great deal to the crime problem. Throughout modern history, every single densly populated area (U.S. included) has a high incidence of crime(at one time or another) (regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, or club membership.). Therefore, for anyone to blame crime in a particular area of a city on ethnicity, is a shallow, lazy, knee jerk argument that has no real research behind it, and therefore, no merit. It does however tend to reveal a little (not all) about the person making the argument. If you need examples, just do some research in the densely populated areas of New York (all ethnic groups), Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, London, Paris etc etc etc etc (you will find the same crime problems). Well this thread is a little tired, and kinda going off topic from general C-3. All I meant to say was that I would avoid the area unless you just HAVE to see the old plant. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:32 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Gary Gruhala (parts vendor) used to work there, we were talking about it when I was picking up a door latch from his shop. I mentioned that I'd like a pic of my '77 in front of the old plant. He told me that the Corvette building was torn down shortly after the line was moved to Bowling Green - it was in lousy shape. The main plant building that was used for the high-volume production lines is still there, just used for other purposes.

So, from an NCRS point of view, nothing to see there.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:02 AM
rbird
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Mid Amreica is worth a stop...they have vettes on display and an old "gas station" where you can grab some pics...

That's our 78...
Hey Rich, Can you tell me where is Mid America? I'll be on I64 tomorrow with the new vette
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...6&forum_id=119
Old 02-02-2006, 08:45 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

East of St.Louis in Effingham,ILL.off I-70.....north of your route...you could double back south on I-57 to get back on I-64 out of Effingham...would add over 100 miles,I think...or run a two lane south more direct...
Just seen this..hope you get it in time..
Rich
Old 02-02-2006, 08:49 AM
rbird
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by rihwoods
East of St.Louis in Effingham,ILL.off I-70.....north of your route...you could double back south on I-57 to get back on I-64 out of Effingham...would add over 100 miles,I think...or run a two lane south more direct...
Just seen this..hope you get it in time..
Rich

Thanks Rich, We'll probably miss it as I am very edgy about the 600 miles that I will need to do anyway
Old 02-02-2006, 09:13 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rbird
Thanks Rich, We'll probably miss it as I am very edgy about the 600 miles that I will need to do anyway
Just so you know,I drove my 78 three years ago 7000 miles around the country..Coast to Coast.....it had 100,000 miles on original engine...

Watch water temp/oil pressure...peak under vette every stop...you will be fine....after first 200 miles you will get comfortable...good luck and have a safe trip...
Rich

Quick Reply: Going to visit St. Louis - anything to see at the old plant ?